Author Topic: Sounds Like Jet Taking Off when Kenmore Front Loader in Spin Cycle (Bearings?)  (Read 3500 times)

Offline freddy101

• VIP Member
The Sears repairman spent 5 minutes looking and listening to my washer and then told me that the bearings were worn down.    I got an estimate from him in the amount of $511 (parts only...labor an additional $193).    This is after I'd already paid the $129 service fee for him to come out.   The washer is 5 1/2 years old and not used heavily (only me in the house).   For that price, I'll get a new washer.  

Question:   Am I being scammed?   Does it really cost $511 to replace bearings in this model washer?

Model 417.44142400

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
this is what you need Here.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:01:47 PM by schaffersapplian »
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
if i came to your house, my service call charge is $75, and my rate is 60 bucks an hour.  that job takes about an hour to an hour and a half depending how cramped the room is.  just some food for thought
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Schaffernator you can make it look better by choosing the EARTH link 3rd from left over the
happy faces. Put your link in there hit the ok then another box will pop up to title the link, then type SHELL or whatever and it looks a bit better, or just keep doin what you like  O0

Here is the same link: Shell
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:59:13 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
i fixed it, and put the link to appliance parts pros. Thanks J to the W  :cheers:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
When you gitz good I will show you how to use the link generator, so that everytime someone buys something from APP then APP supports this site and that means we get out and have more clout on this here world wide web.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline niobrara

• Technician
I have a idea the Sears repair mans repair price may have also included the tub and shaft ,with the bearing.But thats just the way I would have bid it.I could be wrong. 8)

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
Here is the other part niobrara is talking about. You may need to change it as well as it slides into the bearing and may be damaged.  This repair isn't for the faint of heart, but can be achieved without any special tools and some patience.  The basket assembly may or may not have to be changed, and the only way to really know is to take it apart.

Maytag washer sounds like a plane taking off during spin cycle.

Started by justinc25

Replies: 6
Views: 4845
Last post April 05, 2009, 09:44:04 AM
by justinc25
GE front-end loader will stip mid-cycle and will not properly spin/drain

Started by devoncloud

Replies: 2
Views: 3149
Last post November 25, 2009, 06:16:12 AM
by Repair-man
Whirlpool Cabrio washer sounds like a jet taking off in the spin cycle