Author Topic: Kenmore washer won't spin  (Read 5595 times)

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
Kenmore washer won't spin
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »
My Kenmore washer does everything except spin on the spin cycle. I looked in the manual, as well as under the machine proper, and found no sign that there's a belt. If there is, I can't find it in the manual nor can I see it from underneath. Any ideas?

Model 110.92274100

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore washer won't spin
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:38:48 PM »
this washer does not have a belt is has a coupling between the motor and transmission. Once you have removed the case of the washer,servicing this model is a breeze. You simply remove the pump clips and remove the pump. unplug the motor harness and remove the clpis holing it. The motor will simply come right off. In between the motor and tranny is this drive coupling. they are cheap and easy to fix.
make sure to put both end pieces in securely then line the middle up and snap it all back together. It is easier to do with the case off and the washer laying on it's backside. Ro remove the case remove the 2 phillips screws that hold down the console to the top and flip that up. Next unplug the lidswitch. Do a quick continuity check on the lid switch. If it has no continuity your washer will not spin! If the lid switch is fine pop the S clips on back and remove the case. Proceed with the repair.We have photos here on the site of this repair.

Motor Coupler Part # 285753A
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:01:22 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. Two questions: what do you mean by checking for "continuity" on the lid switch? What does this mean? And how/where can I order the drive coupling part?

Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
You must take a meter and check that switch. Picture that switch like a lightbulb. If that switch blows out then IT WONT SPIN! That prevents you from getting hurt from that spinning. Repair clinic.com will have the part. Continuity is a fancy word for closed circuit. If the circuit makes a loop then she spins. No loop no spin. Check out this pic of a broken lid switch. If that strike that is mounted in that lid cannot hit that switch due to mechanical failure like pictured in the attachment then the washer will not spin.

Washer Lid Switch Part # 285671
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:48:38 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:42:53 AM »
I checked the lid switch with a meter and it's fine, so it must be the drive coupling. I'll order the part and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your valuable help.

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 04:55:37 PM »
I received the drive coupling and followed your instructions. Everything turned out exactly as you predicted, and it was relatively easy to do. And now the washing machine is working just fine again. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!  You saved me lots of $$. You're awesome!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »
Thats what I am all about!!! I love to help!
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore (frigidaire?) washer 417.29042991 No Spin - drains fine

Started by ratt2581

Replies: 1
Views: 5177
Last post September 21, 2007, 09:44:54 PM
by AJ
kenmore washer wont spin

Started by futch13

Replies: 5
Views: 2774
Last post October 09, 2007, 12:28:49 PM