Author Topic: "Shady Kenmore dryer purchase"  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
"Shady Kenmore dryer purchase"
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
After not being able to solve my Whirlpool dryer problem, I foolishly bought a used Kenmore dryer off Craig's list.  

I plugged it in when I got it home, it worked but blew out a huge amount of lint and other lost dryer items.  
No big deal, last owner probably wasn't aware or didn't worry about the dangers of poor ventilation-I'll just take the shop vac to it and all will be fine.
WRONG!  Popped the back off -lots of stuff in there, then I notice that the thermal fuse has no wires attached.  Then I notice the wires that are supposed to be connected to the TF are butt spliced together with electrical tape over the splice.  At first I thought somebody was too cheap to replace a burnt fuse (checked it, it was blown).  Now I'm looking a little harder and see that the thermal cut-off is also spliced in the same manner.  I take the back of the control panel and the timer also has two connections that are spliced.  While I don't know a lot about appliance repair, isn't this a disaster waiting to happen?  I doubt seriously that the seller is going to offer me a refund.  So now I have TWO dryers that don't work and I don't know what to do.  I really wish I had some big scary looking fellows available to persuade this guy to take his dryer back and make him understand what a cruel and negligent thing it is to sell something you know is not safe.  I trusted this guy because he said he was an appliance repairman and that the machine was only two years old, used to belong to his daughter who moved away.  Appliance age checker site says that dryer was made in 1998.  Of course the seller is not answering my calls.  I'm embarrassed and mad and very very sad... :embarassed: >:( :tickedoff: :'( Advise anyone?

Model 110.66812694

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: "Shady Kenmore dryer purchase"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
Go ahead and replace those limits, clean out the dryer real good. Remove the filter housing and clean it and break down the dryer so you can clean up the motor. It will be alright. I have a few repair photos and a manual HERE
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 05:42:40 PM »
JW, you're a god to me right now!  O0 I think I already downloaded those or saved them to favorites. I was so disheartened when I realized my "new used" dryer wasn't what it was supposed to be I didn't know where to start.  I have to take youngest to store for school project supplies will look at that when I get back.  Quick question though, what about the two wires on the timer that are spliced together? And, I don't know if I have the correct terminals for the large terminal, should I start stripping my other dryer for parts?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »
It will take some work,but you may need to replace the wire harness from the original dryer to the new purchase.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
I'd already cleaned out lint chute, baffles, cleaned up and checked the blower wheel for obstructions before I posted.  The only area left to clean is under the drum and motor area.
Unfortunately, my right hand has decided to go on strike for a while.  I'm going to have to wrap and rest it for a few days before I can do anything that would require me to twist, lift, or bear weight.  Ironically, if I ever get around to the needed surgery to fix it, it would require more recuperation time than my method of wrap and rest.  I have to use my hands as they are usually repairing, modifying, or creating something in additional to the the banal tasks of a mom and homeowner.  The left hand has the same problem so my warning sign is when they both hurt (now)with simple movement, I have to take a break (dammit).
Will post back when I'm ready for the next step.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »
Bayer aspirin helps my hands as does WD40.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
I helped the food bank guy fix the food bank's freezer, he gave me a bottle of aleve, good stuff!
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Jaytag

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »
You said this guy is a repair man?  Does he sell regularly on Craigslist?  If so I would post a beware on CL put it under his city and appliances use tag Kenmore Dryer.  It may last a few days  but at least others wont fall under the trap.  Also call him and leave him a vm stating you are going to do this, it may get him to call you back, if he regularly sells on CL.  That happens a good dealof the time.  People dont take the time to go through machines before resell or dishonest sellers.  Get the word out. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
What is craigs list? the news said it was a call girl site
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline bakeray

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:29 AM »
What is craigs list? the news said it was a call girl site

Its like a free classified ads site.  Its one of those buyer beware sites.  Ive got a few free washers and dryers from the site that a few of us at school have been repairing and selling.

Yea they have call girls there to but like I said before....Buyer Beware :2funny:

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:43:43 AM »
I do most of my business on Craigslist. But, unlike that guy I thoroughly clean and lube all parts, replace what is needed, no hack jobs. I myself have been screwed a few times on buying washers and dryers on there, Refrigerators too, nothing that could not be fixed though. I try to stay away from fridges, and stoves too, cause they are a pain to clean. Craigslist is a good thing if you know what to look out for. I love it!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »
does it cost anything to use craigs list?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »
JW are you going to become a Craigslist shady appliance dealer?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
Something I did not know about Craigslist.

Q: Is there a connection between craigslist and eBay?
A: eBay acquired 25% of the equity in craigslist from a former shareholder in august of 2004.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/factsheet
Hope you find our site helpful.

Kenmore HE3 Dryer: Drum sounds "loose"

Started by phildeux

Replies: 0
Views: 1436
Last post October 15, 2009, 01:18:31 PM
by phildeux
110.76824690 Kenmore Gas Dryer won"t stay hot

Started by mad4jim

Replies: 1
Views: 1313