Author Topic: Maytag performa spinning out!  (Read 16516 times)

Offline lowhook

• VIP Member
Maytag performa spinning out!
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
 It spins out but cloths are still dripping wet . sometimes it will spin out ok .But i rearrange the cloths all the time ,but it won't spin all the water out now.
I have taken the back panel off it ,and the pump looks clean (nothing inside it) water runs out of the drain hose when i layed it on the floor. The belt seems good and no oil or grease on anything under it.  Thanks Lonnie :tickedoff:

Model PAV3200AWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Maytag performa spinning out!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:02:38 AM »
I usually replace the thrust bearing kit in cases of intermittent spin complaints on the Atlantis and Performa platforms, part # 12002213
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline lowhook

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:38:42 PM »
Today it spun out 2 loads just fine and i didn't do anything to it ?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:18:06 AM »
Then, why don't you simply ignore it, and maybe it will go away :)

Offline lowhook

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:31:01 AM »
 Thats what i was hoping until she starts bitchin about it! I was reading here where i need a special tool for the spring or something that costs $100.00 in order to change the bearings in it? I was having trouble finding the right parts for it too? I keep coming up with wrong model number. My owners manual  says performa 3200/4200. Any clue's?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:59:59 AM »
Here's the skinny:

You do NOT need a special tool to replace the thrust bearing, as the brake does not have to be undone. The thrust bearing is located in between the large drive pulley and below the brake.

The model number for this Herrin platform machine is located on the top of the control panel on the left side, slightly to the rear. The instructions are wrtten in black and white  inside the new kit. The old thrust bearing consists of an array of washers and a thin bearing. The new kit you replace it with is an 'encapsulated' bearing, much simpler and less parts to confuse you with.

Your model is probably a PAV3200AWW, so the thrust bearing kit is part # 12002213
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:10:43 AM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »
I use a simple claw tool because it is small enough to get between the spokes and its curved feature and claw makes it easy to compress the spring so that the e clip can be easily re-installed. without de compressing this spring slightly it is imposible to get that clip back on unless you are king kong. Directions come with the package but they don't tell you how to get that clip back on. Remember to put back all the parts in the order they came off. Once that clip is removed all the other stuff sometimes flys off everywhere. Using this simple carpenters claw makes it real easy. :2funny:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:52:47 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
E-clip
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:19:12 AM »
I guess every tech has his own way of compensating for a tight fitting clip, but I have never had to poke anything in there to compress the spring before. I simply use my wide-bladed screwdriver in the slot where the clip goes to pry the shaft downward with one hand while I snap the new clip on with the other. There is usually enough space to install the clip snugly.

The new kit may have parts which do not look like the ones which came off. Throw everything away that falls off when you pop the clip, as the new kit has everything needed inside.

Part # 12002213
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:24:06 AM by Repair-man »

Offline lowhook

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 02:17:44 PM »
I wonder what kind of claw tool you are speaking of here? Wonder bar? I can barley get a screw driver tip under there and i don't see me being able to get a clip on there even with the thinnest washer.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »
It is just one of them regal tools made in china. It is red made of steel with no hammer head,just a small curved claw. Just right for compressing that brake. makes it way easy to put that e-clip back on. It fits right down between the spokes of the drive pulley. The claw allows just enough leverage to compress the brake.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
repairman I think I figured out how you do it. Since you are laying on your back, all of the washers weight is pushing at a downward force towards you,as you replace the kit you are able to push upward and compress the brake using the weight of the washer. I could see where that might work for Hulk Hogan. An old man like meself has got ta find an easier way. I once got my nephew to stand on the drive pulley while I tried to replace that e clip. I could not get heads nor tails out of the maytag rep and I even bought the fancy brake tool. I gotta ask you this: when you put the drive pulley back to test it you twist the pulley to release the brake if the drive pulley passes a mark set on the pulley you must remove the thin washer and add the fat washer right? I am asking this for the benefit of our friend here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:44:00 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
That is what the instruction sheets says.
Dang right, repairs are a lot easier when you can get your big butt down on the floor! I can still kneel with the best of 'em at 53.

Standing on the pulley and/or depressing the brake is not the way to go about replacing that clip. In fact, no pressure at all should be applied to the brake, especially with your Nafta-made claw thingie.
The steel drive shaft is the secret. If you hold the thrust bearing assembly in place and slip the last thin washer over the shaft, use a big flat-blade screwdriver in the slot where the c-clip goes to press the shaft down a mite. It will give about 1/32" , just enough to slip the clip on with your other hand. Then use some needle nose to further advance the clip into place. Try it a few times...you'll see.

What you need out there is a big chain hoist so you can lift those pesky machines up over your head to fix 'em. I get a mental image of this rather easily :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:20:50 PM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »
All I know is I am glad I do not have to fix these but once in a blue moon. I will give your way a try next time I come across one.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline lowhook

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 10:50:22 AM »
Ok guys i got the bearing kit installed . I had to use an old thinner washer from the old parts to get the clip on and it was still ungodly tight.I had to use 2 screw drivers and then hammer the clip in to place the rest of the way.As far as adjustment i could only get it to the low line and no further .It still does the same thing ,sometimes it spins out but last night it left a wet load in there .I had to wring em out by hand to put in the dryer.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
See that's why I say you need to stick a claw under the lip of the brake and mash that thing down so you can add a washer. If you have too many washers the tub will spin all by itself. NO GOOD If you have not enough then it will leave the clothes wet. If you have never done this repair before ,then you will need to keep at it till you get it just right. The first one I did took me 5 times before I got it right.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Performa Pav2300aww Not Spinning please help

Started by slm28638

Replies: 2
Views: 6946
Last post June 29, 2009, 11:06:36 AM
by JWWebster
maytag performa out of balance

Started by mechemd1

Replies: 1
Views: 2404
Last post December 31, 2007, 06:47:41 PM