Author Topic: Whirlpool Electric Dryer troubleshooting help please  (Read 9675 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Electric Dryer troubleshooting help please
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
It woiks?:D Must not have been a good connection but all is well now. I say let it do its thang.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:06:08 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
I'm back.  The only time it worked was when the the wires to the thermal fuse were jumpered.  :( When hooked up properly, it doesn't start. 
Audible continuity test says thermal fuse is good(plus it was a brand new never opened one I bought last year as a backup).
As mentioned earlier, all thermostats, element, test good.
Voltage from outlet is right on both sides.
Voltage at terminal block is correct.
I have checked every connection to all components on the back and none are loose.  All the connections to terminals on the centrifrugal switch are also firm. 
Terminal 4 is loose in the switch (yes, the one that goes to the thermal fuse).
I followed directions in the WP manual for testing the motor(which we know works) and obviously it checked out.  I didn't really understand the directions about checking the cent. switch so I guess I'm stuck.  Will throw the breaker and check out outlet connections tomorrow.  Did I mention that electricity scares the hell out me?  ;)
If it turns out to be the cent. switch that part costs about $75 plus I need a rear drum seal (approx.$30) and a blower wheel (15) I already paid $20 for a belt locally and have a few backup parts from previous repairs. 
Is it time to cut my losses here and go buy some cheaply made new machine that won't last half as long as this one?

Advice anyone?  and thanks again ya'll.  I never would have made it this far without your help.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »
The centrifugal switch only engages while the motor is running and sends power to the heater.

The thermal fuse must be bad if it works jumped and not through the fuse.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 12:02:08 AM »
Hey guys, hoping you'd give this another look because I really don't think it's that thermal fuse.  I've tried my best to educate myself and I obtained a NON autoranging meter.  I think I've done everthing that has been advised here so far.  I also diagramed all of my connections in case somehow I connected something wrong.  I also turned off the breaker and took off the switch cover and examined that wiring-it was very secure nothing looked burnt.  Re-checked the dryer cord and terminals-all as it should be.
Instead of typing all of this, I scanned the two papers with my chicken scratch, if you can't read something please let me know. 
I know I must be crazy, stupid, or stubborn (probably all three) but I just HATE the idea of getting my butt kicked by an old dryer!!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to take another look at this. 
To any other night owls, I'm staying up again in hopes of catching the Shuttle (I'm in central FL) so I'll check back.

I suspect that JW's either still DANCING or having happy dreams of the beloved Saints ;)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 08:28:05 AM »
If all them things check out and have continuity and you have power to the dryer then your timer must be bad, part # 3397273
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline kellonnie

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »
if it works with thermal fuse jumpered, it must be bad, part # 3392519

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »
I should have clarified-it only worked with the thermal fuse jumpered one time. I re-tried the jumper trick and still no power.  :(
If I knew for sure which terminals on the timer to check for what and what readings to expect, or something else to do/check to figure out exactly what is wrong,  :-\ I'm willing to run any test and and post back. I would very much like to get to the bottom of it even if I don't keep her.
Thanks again for all the help so far.   
Since the last post, I bought a used Kenmore off Craigs list. I must send out a signal that I'm a trusting fool- see new topic: "Shady Kenmore dryer purchase" because I'm at a loss here on what to do.  :embarassed:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »
If all of the components in the dryer have continuity AND you have power to the machine the timer is BAD.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »
JW, thanks.  So- the timer can still advance through the various cycles but be dead?
Did I kill it by something I did? An unlucky coincidence? (this whole thing started with no heat, burned wire, then no power after wire repaired. The timer is about the only part of that dryer I didn't touch.   Just trying to understand how it all works.  ;)

Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 9468
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
3387747 Whirlpool Electric Dryer Heating Element

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5306
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:12:02 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Electric Dryer - doesn't get very warm