Author Topic: Whirlpool Electric Dryer troubleshooting help please  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Electric Dryer troubleshooting help please
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:27:53 PM »
I'm hoping someone here will take pity on my soul and please point me in the right direction...
I am a 40something year old woman with a fair background of mechanical repair, have successfully repaired all of my other whirlpool appliances including this one (thanks to my husbands 22 yrs in the navy ;) . Have built and repaired computers for several years.  I have very little electronics background knowledge but extremely willing to learn. I don't have anyone nearby with electrical background to help me with this, 3 kids, husband is employed out of state and he has less experience with appliance repair.  I can't afford a new dryer unless I have no other option. 
Problem:  Dryer quit producing heat but all else worked.  No heat for any cycle.  Breaker and power at wall good.  Pulled back off, found burnt wire from element to motor (L1 I think) Note that the burnt wire was from a former repair that included a wire w/terminal and wire nut.

I checked surrounding components for visible signs of damage, checked venting to outside (very clean) and inside dryer (not too bad except in the areas I'd never accessed previously specifically, motor area). 

White wire that goes to motor was also burned, couldn't tell how extensive the damage.  I cut it and repaired.  Had a backup wire terminal from some former dryer repair, cut the red wire to the burnt section, and repaired that.

After reading many appliance forums, I came to the conclusion the cause of the burned wire was not necessarily too much lint but almost completely disintegrated seals on the lint chute and possibly a loose connection.  Further inspection revealed the rear drum seal, belt, and blower wheel should also be replaced.  Vacuumed and blew out as much of stuff in there as I could.  I didn't test any of the terminals on the motor but all appeared to be intact, not burned.  There wasn't a burnt smell near motor.

I have already replaced the lint chute seals, and belt.  I put it all back together and now it doesn't spin at all.  Timer advances, belt is installed correctly, rear seal although worn is functional.  When I push the “push to start” button, I can feel it vibrate?  I'm certain I would have noticed this if it were always this way.  I immediately unplugged it and am now here asking for help.  I sincerely hope I haven't done something to make matters worse! :-\  I plan on ordering parts when I'm clear what is needed.  I'm hoping to just get her up and running again ASAP (we're running out of clothes and I really hate the laundry mat). 

This is where I need the help, I checked all the components with a Radio Shack 29 range multimeter but am unclear on how to interpret the results.  The tiny manual wasn't much help to someone who doesn't already know about electricity.  I know that I'm supposed to use the Rx1 setting, but I can't find a reference to that in the manual.  I put the meter on the ohms setting and used  “auto” for all readings

Heater Element:  10.1 –10.2 ohms Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
Hi-Limit thermostat:  000.0 – 000.2 ohms,Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
Thermal cut-off:  000.0 – 000.2 ohms,Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
Thermal fuse:  000.0 – 000.2 ohms, Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
*Cycling Thermostat: 000.0 – 000.1 ohms, Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone

*wasn’t sure how to test this, I put probes across the two terminals that had the red wires and didn’t test the other two

** also wondering if my readings are moving because I’m not holding the probes on properly or long enough?  Are all of my parts bad?!!!
*** the results for testing to see if the element was grounded always gave 0.F which in the ohms setting means over flow or value you are measuring exceeds range, range was on auto

I can supply photos, wiring diagram, whatever information is needed upon request.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this fixed.

Model LER6848AN1

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Electric Dryer troubleshooting help please
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »

Whirlpool Dryer Thermal Fuse Part # 3392519This fuse is tied in with the door switch on your dryer. If the fluff/lint gets a bit built up or you get an air restriction this little bugger will melt and kill operation. Mounted on the backside next to the control thermostat, with one screw.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
If that is good it could be the door switch, part # 279347

or the door switch actuator a part that pokes through a hole in the frame and pushes the door switch closed, part # 691581
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
Thanks for quick replies, but I don't understand how to read the results I've got (never used multimeter before) Is my thermal fuse good or bad?  results below, will re-test if someone can tell me if I'm even doing it right.  
meter is radio shack 29 range auto/manual digital multimeter, sorry, can't seem to insert picture
Heater Element:  10.1 –10.2 ohms Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
Hi-Limit thermostat:  000.0 – 000.2 ohms,Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
Thermal cut-off:  000.0 – 000.2 ohms,Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
Thermal fuse:  000.0 – 000.2 ohms, Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone
*Cycling Thermostat: 000.0 – 000.1 ohms, Audible continuity check: displays short and emits tone"

By the way, thanks to all here for posting their problems and solutions, have been to the site before and have been able to solve most repair problems just by reading forums here and a few other appliance sites.  THANKS- your input is most appreciated :) O0

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
If you get a tone, it checks as a closed circuit.  ( The part is closed and allowing power to flow threw it similar to a light switch and light bulb, if there was no beep, the light bulb would be off)  Beeps are good things.  thermostats and fuses should check closed  (with a beep) So power can flow threw them and go onto the next component.  Sounds like a power issue, possibly like JW said, a door switch.  You are going to have to dig alittle deeper.  It could also be a neutral issue where you are getting power to the motor, but it still will not turn on because the other "leg" isn't there.  I would suggest to put the back, back on the machine, and start looking for the problem on the inside of the dryer.  Its most likely a wiring issue or door switch
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
Them damn new fangled meters are confusing to me too. Fer $10 bucks you can get a meter at any flea market er harbor freight, heck they probably will be available at dollar general before long. Analog rules and digital sucks my opinion. I am old pilgrim. >:(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:20:18 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I checked terminals on door switch, short or beep when closed, open when door is open. Do I need to check anything else on it?  If I understand what Schaffersapp said:
" thermostats and fuses should check closed  (with a beep) So power can flow threw them and go onto the next component."
then all the thermostats and the fuse are ok.
  I went ahead and double checked the white wire that was damaged when the other one burned, the wire itself checked out fine. It lead to M5 on motor side and to the timer on the other end.

I have directions from the whirpool service site that tells how to check the push to start, but am not completely clear on the directions, specifically where it tells you to hold one probe on NO on the switch or R1 on the relay. My switch has 3 terminals none labeled NO.  Do they mean actually probe resistor 2 on the relay or the wire to it?  And Should I disconnect the relay board itself for testing?  Is this the next logical step or should I be looking at something else?  Thanks again for all your help, you guys rock! 8)

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »
while pressing the push to start switch in, check between r1 and r2
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
OK, I'm an idiot.  My push to start switch is fine and actually all three terminals were labeled (it's amazing what good lighting can do for a view).  Embarrassed to admit that I thought the push to start switch and relay were two separate components and after closer inspection, what I thought was the relay was actually the electronic control board.   :embarrassed:
  I've looked at the parts breakdown again and need to know if I should go back to the door switch and check anything else.  I only checked the two terminals on the switch. 
JW said: 
it could be the door switch or the door switch actuator

How to test actuator?
and what Schaffersapplian said:
Sounds like a power issue, possibly like JW said, a door switch.  You are going to have to dig alittle deeper.  It could also be a neutral issue where you are getting power to the motor, but it still will not turn on because the other "leg" isn't there.  I would suggest to put the back, back on the machine, and start looking for the problem on the inside of the dryer.  Its most likely a wiring issue or door switch
So, what to check next please?  In case I haven't mentioned it, I truly appreciate the advice because I felt like I was chasing my tail with this thing. Meanwhile.....the laundry continues to pile...   

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »
Look inside the door jamb. The tang from the actuator sticks out a little hole.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
Ok, I looked at the actuator or lever, it's the metal cage that the switch sits in and the lever extends down so when the door is closed it pushes the switch etc.  I noticed that the lever is rubber or plastic coated, some of my coating is missing- no coating on the side that touches the door.  Is this creating a short?  If it's supposed to be coated on that side, would of piece of electrical tape over it temporarily solve the problem?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:41:21 PM »
That dont matter what does matter is if it is making the switch close when you shut the door.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »
Is it possible that I am missing a whole terminal off my door switch, I mean has anyone ever seen that happen?  I tried my other idea with the tape I actually used a piece of heat shrink.  It didn't work.
When I didn't see any replies here yet, I went to WP parts to see photos of switch and actuator.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »
The 3rd door switch terminal is for a drum light.
If you have no drum the the 3rd terminal is mute.

Remove the belt from the drum and motor and try again to see if the motor runs.
Sounds to me like something is binding.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Rallyn8664

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 03:16:23 PM »
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know, I almost gave my local WP $40 for a switch that isn't broke.  I've been looking for a definitive answer since I posted a couple of hours ago.
Headed to garage now...will post update shortly. 

Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 8684
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
3387747 Whirlpool Electric Dryer Heating Element

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4765
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:12:02 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Electric Dryer - doesn't get very warm