Author Topic: Dark spots on clothes from washing machine  (Read 20592 times)

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
Re: Dark spots on clothes from washing machine
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »
Well, I used another metal pry tool under the bell...the tool snapped! So next I tried loosening the four bolts to get the drum out with a ratchet, nothing. Then I tried an impact wrench...again nothing. Finally I took the ratchet and a mallet and the bolt was moving, that is the head of the bolt was moving...it sheared off! I think I'm done with this project.

===========   

Leverage is always nice, but sometimes you  have to really put the Habeas Grabbus on things to break them loose. It's also smart to wait till all the new parts are in front of you so in case  you  break the old ones getting them off, it won't make you as unhappy. In the meantime, satisfy your tinkering urges with a glance at the Amana washer manual in the head of the Maytag  forum.    You will eventually  have to place a block of wood under that old bell and pound like heck upwards with a mallet to release the old drive bell...they are really pressed on the saft to begin with. Plan on  pounding the new one on as well, since it must be all the way down on the agit shaft for the bolt to go on.

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
By the way, Repair-man, I want to thank you for your help with this. You're really a wealth of knowledge, down to exacting details and well written which makes your instruction easy to understand.
Wish I could've fixed this no good, lousy, SOB but when bolts start shearing off, I'm thinking that's a sign to buy another.

==================== 

Leverage is always nice, but sometimes you  have to really put the Habeas Grabbus on things to break them loose. It's also smart to wait till all the new parts are in front of you so in case  you  break the old ones getting them off, it won't make you as unhappy. In the meantime, satisfy your tinkering urges with a glance at the Amana washer manual in the head of the Maytag  forum.    You will eventually  have to place a block of wood under that old bell and pound like heck upwards with a mallet to release the old drive bell...they are really pressed on the saft to begin with. Plan on  pounding the new one on as well, since it must be all the way down on the agit shaft for the bolt to go on.
[/quote]

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
Sorry it did not work out  for you, but this  may be a sign "from above" that this machine has reached its end life. In your quest for a new machine, try and stick with the Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid line if you can, as they are still made the same way as 1985. The parts are  usually cheap and not so disagreeable when it comes to repairs :)

Cheers!
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Dark spots on clothes from washing machine

Started by no user name

Replies: 0
Views: 1315
Last post February 01, 2010, 05:41:48 AM
by no user name
Admiral Washing Machine Help

Started by Labonza

Replies: 1
Views: 5751
Last post July 17, 2007, 10:03:32 AM
by AJ
WHAT WASHING MACHINE WOULD YOU PURCHASE?

Started by bespiritfilled

Replies: 3
Views: 3666
Last post August 30, 2007, 09:30:46 PM
by larry
Help Tromm washing machine wont spin

Started by angeleyes

Replies: 15
Views: 21528
Last post February 13, 2008, 08:19:59 PM
by JWWebster
Amana washing machine LW4303W electrical damage.

Started by DMAN2501

Replies: 4
Views: 3431
Last post November 10, 2007, 01:14:38 PM
by DMAN2501
Kenmore (Whirlpool) washing machine will not agitate

Started by autumdove

Replies: 3
Views: 5690
Last post November 24, 2007, 10:18:04 PM
by rickgburton