Author Topic: Dark spots on clothes from washing machine  (Read 19748 times)

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
Dark spots on clothes from washing machine
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:39:46 AM »
I have a Speed Queen AWM332 (same model number for Whirlpool and Amana) top loading washing machine. Lately I've been getting dark gray/black spots on my clothes, primarily on my towels and clothes.

I DO NOT use fabric softener of any kind nor does this machine even have a softener dispenser. I always fill the unit first, then pour in my detergent, let it agitate and then add my clothes.

Other research online has pointed to the possibility of the transmission leaking oil, that the oil floats atop the water when full and then settles on the clothes when the unit drains.

I also read that a heavy load puts a strain on the trans causing more oil to leak, which would explain why only my towels and clothes have had a problem so far...they're my heaviest load.

The washer agitates and spins flawlessly so the transmission seems okay otherwise.

If you too think this is indeed the problem, besides the obvious solution of replacement, what are my options? Is there a seal that can be replaced on the transmission without having to replace the entire transmission? Or any Mickey Mouse solution?

I appreciate your help.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Dark spots on clothes from washing machine
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:44:04 AM »
There is a Drive Bell & Seal Kit for under the agitator which may solve your problem...the point is, it's cheaper than a new tranny and comes with simple instructions. As far as your washing techniques go, the order of doing a wash cycle should be:

1.  Add detergent first
2. Add water next
3. Add clothes last or while filling

Drive Bell & Seal Kit Part # R9900189
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »
Thanks for your response. It sounds like it's a roll of the dice whether this will or will not fix the issue, whereas a complete transmission swap would fix it?

Is everything I need for installing a new transmission for this machine found here?

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
first thing you should do is flip the lid back, pull your agitator, tub cover, and spin basket and see what you find.  Your black spots could be just a ton of soap build up in the machine, i see it all the time. Check it out before you buy anything.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
Thanks for your response. It sounds like it's a roll of the dice whether this will or will not fix the issue, whereas a complete transmission swap would fix it?

Is everything I need for installing a new transmission for this machine found here?

Unless the machine will not agitate, there is no need for a new transmission. The bell and seal kit will effectively stop oil penetration into the washtub. If there are no circular oil rings around the inside of the cabinet below the tubline, the transmission has not been affected.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:45:45 AM by Repair-man »

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »
Thank you to you both. My agitator appears to be one solid piece though it does have a seem on top that would lead me to believe that it has a cap just like the diagram. Assuming that it's stuck, any suggestions on how to get the thing loose without wrecking something? 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:56 AM »
Amana agitators are pressed on...the bolt in the diagram only holds down the bell underneath. To remove your agitator, slip a leather belt under the bottom until it is centered under the base, then yank up sharply with both hands. Be sure to turn your face to one side as you yank, since the thing can pop up quickly.

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 06:50:30 AM »
You were correct, came right off with a yank of some tow straps. I'm going to order the seal kit that you recommended, do I need any kind of transmission oil (assuming that it's lost some and needs to be replaced) or anything else? 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 07:41:53 AM »
Ok,, we're not talking transmission repair, at least I'm not. In fact, if the tranny needs oil, you may as well plan on replacing it. Adding oil is not an option. Stick to one repair or the other. If you order the transmission assembly, the bell and seal come in the kit.

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
So whatever this grease/oil is that's being leaking onto my laundry, it doesn't need to be refilled/replaced? 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
OK, lets' clarify this once and for all..

Unless you have oil streaks inside the cabinet or more than 1 cup of oil on the floor, the transmission is probably OK.

If there is an oily line about a foot off the floor all around the inner cabinet walls, then yes, you need a new tranny.

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
OK, now how do I remove the bell? The fastener was on tight, got it loose but now I can't get the bell off. Don't want to break anything else. And the fasteners on the tub are stiff as hell too.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:12:04 AM »
Sometimes things need a little , um, attitude adjustment...perhaps you are just not holding your jaw at the right angle. I use a wheel puller myself.  Do you have the new kit in front of you or are you bound and determined to take it apart beforehand?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:14:02 AM by Repair-man »

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
No, the kit isn't here yet. Thought I'd get much, if not all, of the disassembly out of the way in advance.
I pulled up on it with my hands and then tried using leverage with a screwdriver from underneath the bell, all to know avail.

===============

Sometimes things need a little , um, attitude adjustment...perhaps you are just not holding your jaw at the right angle. I use a wheel puller myself.  Do you have the new kit in front of you or are you bound and determined to take it apart beforehand?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 02:58:46 PM »
Leverage is always nice, but sometimes you  have to really put the Habeas Grabbus on things to break them loose. It's also smart to wait till all the new parts are in front of you so in case  you  break the old ones getting them off, it won't make you as unhappy. In the meantime, satisfy your tinkering urges with a glance at the Amana washer manual in the head of the Maytag  forum.    You will eventually  have to place a block of wood under that old bell and pound like heck upwards with a mallet to release the old drive bell...they are really pressed on the saft to begin with. Plan on  pounding the new one on as well, since it must be all the way down on the agit shaft for the bolt to go on.

Dark spots on clothes from washing machine

Started by no user name

Replies: 0
Views: 1222
Last post February 01, 2010, 05:41:48 AM
by no user name
Admiral Washing Machine Help

Started by Labonza

Replies: 1
Views: 4819
Last post July 17, 2007, 10:03:32 AM
by AJ
WHAT WASHING MACHINE WOULD YOU PURCHASE?

Started by bespiritfilled

Replies: 3
Views: 2682
Last post August 30, 2007, 09:30:46 PM
by larry
Help Tromm washing machine wont spin

Started by angeleyes

Replies: 15
Views: 18734
Last post February 13, 2008, 08:19:59 PM
by JWWebster
Amana washing machine LW4303W electrical damage.

Started by DMAN2501

Replies: 4
Views: 2729
Last post November 10, 2007, 01:14:38 PM
by DMAN2501
Kenmore (Whirlpool) washing machine will not agitate

Started by autumdove

Replies: 3
Views: 4873
Last post November 24, 2007, 10:18:04 PM
by rickgburton