Author Topic: Frigidaire SXS Compressor Not Starting  (Read 7090 times)

Offline beutke

• VIP Member
Frigidaire SXS Compressor Not Starting
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
I have a 2003 Model Frigidaire FRS26R4CB1 side by side that started to give me fits last night.  I noticed a buzzing sound every couple minutes which would last 10-20 seconds and the compressor wouldn't kick on.  I pulled the fridge out this morning and cleaned up quite a bit of dust around the compressor and coils.  After researrching the problem on this site and others I narrowed down the problem to the compressor or the start relay.  The compressor is # TPE1380YXA and is 134A.  The posts I read said that if it is a start relay problem that, this being a solid-state relay, it should rattle when I shake it if it has failed.  Well after removing it there is no rattle.  I put it back together and pluged it in and it took off fine.  It ran all afternoon with out a hitch until once this evening when I heard the buzzing and click without the the compressor starting.  On the next try, about two minutes later, it started and has started several times since.  This leads me to the following questions,

Can it be the start relay if it works intermitantly?

If so, should it be replaced with the original part or a 3 in 1 hard start relay such as an URCO410?  (I have done enough research to know that this part will work with the run capacitor on my fridge.)  If the 3 in 1 is the way to go, how is it wired?  Does it come with the proper round connectors to the 3 pins on my compressor?  (The stock relay plugs directly into the compressor.)

If it is the compressor, what is the aproximate cost of having it professionally replaced? As far as I can tell it would be $1200-$1400 to replace the fridge.

I have another fridge in the garage so time isn't that critical.  Would love to save the money and repair it myself.

Thanks so much for the great site.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Frigidaire SXS Compressor Not Starting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
Yes,the relay can work intermittently.
Replace it with the original and the capacitor too if there is one attached.

Relay Kit Part # 5304468029

Compressor Run Capacitor Part # 5304464438
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:29:55 PM »
Next time it starts cutting out, put your hand on the compressor, if it feels real hot and you cant touch it then that relay's contacts are fried together and powering both circuits constantly.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beutke

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:45 PM »
Tonight I received the new capacitor and OEM start relay.  After taking the old relay off and cutting the wires, it did have a noticeable rattle when I shook it.  It also seemed if some soot or black burnt poweder had come out of it and stuck to the side of the compressor.  I wired in the new relay and attached the capacitor and thought my problem was solved.  I put the back cover on and plugged it in and it started right up.  Ran fine for 2.5 hours and then I heard it start to buzz and click again without the compressor starting.  The compressor does not get hot when it is failing to start but it is warm(no warmer than when it runs).  I used an ohm meter and there is slight resistance between all 3 compressor pins and none of them were grounded out.  What should I be checking next?  What would it cost to have the compressor replaced?? 

Thanks Again...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Is the compressor getting real hot? I am wondering if maybe you have it wired wrong? Do you have an ammeter?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beutke

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »
No the compressor isn't getting hot at all.  I have a multi-meter.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:50:18 AM »
The compressor is screaming to be replaced as we speak...you've already proven the relay did not help, so there you are! You really should call around to get estimates locally to replace it, as the usual out-of-warranty cost to do this job range anywhere from $450 to $750, depending on who you use. You already know the cost of the compressor because you probably already called about it, so the rest is the labor charge that a company will impose. Who among us can tell you who is cheapest in your neigborhood?
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
you are sure it didn't jump into defrost?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beutke

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »
How can I tell if it is going into defrost?  If it is in defrost I assume that I wouldn't hear the buzzing and the overload click???  It ran all night and this morning it buzzed and clicked once and then about two minutes later it started fine. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
When it goes into the defrost the compressor and fan shut down. The ice box worked last night?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beutke

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
Then fan is still running when the buzzing and clicking goes on.  Yes, it ran last night and has been running since.  It only fails intermitantly and most times will retart on it's own after a couple attempts.  If I am there and hear it and it doesn't start after the second attempt I unplug it and let it sit for 10 minutes.  Every time I plug it back in it takes right off.  Never has gotten hot either, just warm. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »
Was the new part exactly like the old one?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »
Repairman is right. The compressor is creating your problem. The start winding in the compressor is most likely getting weak.
Just for argument sake,double check your L1 and Neutral wires to the relay. Is it hooked the same as the original part?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
I keep a HS410 Hard start kit in my junk, at this point I would install it and see if the compressor keeps going and that might extend the life of the compressor a little bit.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beutke

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
Yes, the parts are OEM from electrolux and seem to be nearly identical, other than having to wire in a plug for the replacement relay.  I am positive it is wired correctly.  Does anyone know the horsepower of this compressor?  Should I try the 410 hard start (1/4-1/3hp) or the smaller 810 model (1/12-1/5hp).

Again,

Thanks for the advice

older kenmore side by side with tpe1389yxa compressor not starting

Started by mchunter

Replies: 7
Views: 2379
Last post May 27, 2010, 07:47:51 AM
by BrntToast
LG Refrigerator Compressor Not Starting

Started by Blaiser

Replies: 9
Views: 6560