Author Topic: Old Maytag washer banging when spinning  (Read 5157 times)

Offline demar

• VIP Member
Old Maytag washer banging when spinning
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:18:24 PM »
I have an old Maytag washer that is making a load banging sound when it is spinning. It only bangs after the spin is up to full speed. The banging is coming from the top of the tub - it sounds like the inner tub is hitting the outer tub. The tub is bouncing around a lot when it spins. The machine is level and is on a vinyl covered concrete slab floor. It stays put in the same place on the floor.

The tub is centered and the springs appear to be fine. I replaced the damper pads and this had no effect. The old pads appeared to be in pretty good shape.

In September, I replaced the tub bearing because it was leaking lumps of grease onto the clothes.  The machine was working fine until recently when I moved it to do some work on the floor trim behind the machine.  It has been knocking since then.

I am looking for ideas as to what the problem is.

Thanks

Model A612

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Old Maytag washer banging when spinning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
They need to be perfectly level to act right.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
Are you sure the tub cover isn't hitting the top of the washer? When you moved it did you reach inside the lid and move the washer?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
The answer is simple, when you moved the machine, you did not stabilize the heavy tub first, causing the spin basket to come loose at the tub nut and shift off of the cork surface of the boot stem.

All you need to do is to first set all four legs  square on the floor, then lock them down. Next, remove the agitator only. Loosen the spanner nut on the spin basket  for 1 turn only. Spin the basket around in a clockwise  circle since the nut is loose, allowing the weighted basket to balance itself again, then re-tighten the nut with your spanner. (By the way you MUST use a Maytag spanner on this nut, not some other improvised tool, or it will not tighten properly).

Take note of how the top of the basket rides in relation to the tub cover as the basket spins around during the next  test...just leave the agitator out and run a spin  cycle to peep at the tub top thru the semi-open lid. If it still has a high-spot,  loosen the nut again and do like the tire people do by rotating the tub slightly one way or the other till you find that sweet spot. So much easier to fine tune it this way than to tear it apart any further..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:00:12 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline demar

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
Thanks, Repair-man,

That did the trick!

I did go ahead and remove the tub cover.  One thing I noticed was that the outer tub is not perfectly round - it is wider from the front left to right rear.  Is that anything to worry about? Is there a way to correct it?  I pushed the wider sides in and that made a small difference.

Thanks

Maytag Front Load Neptune Washer Banging Noise when Spinning

Started by dkmminc

Replies: 11
Views: 10620
Last post June 17, 2010, 11:05:11 PM
by schaffersapplian
Maytag Washer only drains when spinning, not before

Started by tigggerz

Replies: 1
Views: 1468
Last post January 27, 2009, 06:09:12 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag washer not spinning/different senerio then last time

Started by scubachris

Replies: 4
Views: 1731
Last post February 09, 2009, 08:49:52 PM
by scubachris
Maytag Neptune Washer Not Spinning - Blown 10A Fues on Motor Board

Started by frgivn

Replies: 2
Views: 4762
Last post November 08, 2009, 06:58:38 AM
by apprich
maytag washer stops spinning very fast then makes loud squeak at the end.

Started by repairguy42

Replies: 9
Views: 9544
Last post June 24, 2010, 11:07:44 AM
by JWWebster
Washer Is Banging Very Loudly While Spinning

Started by tyleriffic

Replies: 1
Views: 1206
Last post March 21, 2011, 06:46:30 PM
by PARTech