Author Topic: Older Maytag Neptune Outer tub swap problem-HELP  (Read 5463 times)

Offline cds

• VIP Member
Older Maytag Neptune Outer tub swap problem-HELP
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »
I finally got around to replacing the bearing, seal etc in my washer this weekend. The bearing came installed in the outer tub as a Maytag kit.  It had the early seal configuration with the plastic a strut behind the seal. So far so good. Dropped the new outer tub in the cabinet and discovered that my old outer tub had two bosses on the side for vibration and out of balance. The new tub has one boss on the side and one at the top. I'm assuming that the same components are used and the one needs to be moved to the top of the outer tub. Am I right? The wiring harness is too short to move the switch without doing some cutting and crimping of the wires. Is there a part number for the proper harness and is a new harness the best solution?

Model MAH4000AWW

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: Older Maytag Neptune Outer tub swap problem-HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »
Hmm, any replacement tub I have ever installed have always been the exact same thing as the original tub.

Could you post some photos of the two?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jeffgr8

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »
 :tickedoff: I am doing the same thing and there is only one switch boss on the side there is one on top but wires are not long enuff to fit there?

Offline cds

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 08:40:14 PM »
I cut a piece of wire about 7 inches long out of the wire coming from the console to the switch and the spiced the shorten wire back together, just the right length to go to the new location. I then spliced the extra length into the wire that would only reach to the side of the tub. The boss on the top of the tub appears to be for a newer inertial switch than the one on my series 44 machine but it seems to work ok.
I strongly recommend that you replace the spinner (shaft) so that you can use the new seal design. The difference between the two shafts is small but significant. The shoulder on the new spinner is 1.6 inches in diameter. The older style spinner has a 1.75 inch diameter shoulder that the seal sits on. The new seal design is a fix for seal failure caused bearing failure. Also, in hindsight, we don't wash throw rugs, and the like, in this machine anymore because I want it last for a long time.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:16:32 AM »
Since I also have this washer, what does washing bath rugs, etc do to the machine? I have always washed mine in it but I dont if the back is starting to come off. I also wash them on COLD/DELICATE

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:44:51 AM »
bath mats have the nasty habit of self-distructing, you can wash them 100 times  on the 101th time they fall apart

i have spent many hours stripping front loads to remove the backing material after this happens, my wife is forbidden to wash ours at home, we now have 3 sets after the 3rd gets dirty i take them to the laundromat for wash/fold service and pick them up later for 10 bucks, and i can fix my washer for free

i might pay 100 bucks a year at the laundromat doin this, but the first time i dont get a mat back from them i'll know it was well worth the expense, cause its a horrible job to do and hell on the washer
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline jeffgr8

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 08:57:55 AM »
 O0I found where the switch goes there is two holes for it under the brick in the front.. I called my friends that use to be maytag men for advise on this...  O0

Offline cds

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 08:02:17 PM »
I was referring to a lack of confidence in the bearing design when I commented on not washing throw rugs and the like in the Maytag because I don't want to abuse it. I don't know how much load factor was designed into those bearings. The cost of a new outer tub is prohibitive now.
After cleaning out the plumbing in the machine I can see that little bits of rubberized rub backing could wreak havoc on the pump.

I'm confused about the post concerning the location of the switches: My original outer tub had two bosses on the side which were for a limit switch and an inertial switch which were wired in series with a second limit switch which is mounted on the lower front cement ballast assembly. The new tub only had one boss on the side and a boss on the top which was shaped to cradle an inertial switch a little different in size than the one on my washer.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Tub bosses
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »
This was a design change at series 73 which eliminated the concrete weight on bottom and re-positioned the mercury inertial switch to a different angle. Everything on the old tub will still fit on the new one, even though not in the exact same spot. The switches were positioned not to be so sensitive to ordinary off balance conditions.  Your control board counts how many times the switch throws in 30 seconds and will interrupt the spin if too much activity occurs.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline cds

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »
Thx for the explanation.

Maytag Neptune Spin Problem/Contoller board not burnt

Started by sdocsmith

Replies: 3
Views: 1351
Last post January 08, 2009, 02:52:28 PM