Author Topic: Grinding noise in dryer  (Read 13163 times)

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
Re: Grinding noise in dryer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the feedback - I like definitiveness.

When the bearing arrives, will I need to put a lubricant on it?  If so, what kind of lubricant should I use?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »
No need to lube
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »
Ok thanks.

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
So my parts have arrived from Appliance Junk right on time, and it's time for the repair.  I have put the new drum bearing on.  That wasn't too hard. 

I have printed out a diagram of the dryer parts and how they go back together, but I'm still having some challenges.  My questions start with with part #516 , the nut sheet metal, and part #515, the ground strap assembly.  These parts kind of fell out of "nowhere" when I removed the heater assembly during disassembly.  So I never saw how they originally fit together.  How do they fit together?

Does the little black padded part of the ground strap assembly rest against the back wall of the dryer?  Or does it rest against the the back of the heater assembly?
Is the padded part suppose to be sticky so it stays in place?

How does the shaft bracket assembly match up with the ground strap assembly and the nut sheet metal? 
Does the pointed part of the shaft bracket assembly push through the hole in the ground strap assembly?  Or does it press against a different part of the shaft bracket assembly?
Does the nut sheet metal go on the other side of the hole and protect the back of the dryer from being drilled out by the point on the shaft bracket assembly?

Does the hollow part of the nut sheet metal face the back of the dryer or the ground stralp assembly?
What holds the nut sheet metal in place?

Does anyone have a detailed diagram of what this should look like?

A million thanks to anyone who can help. :D

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 10:58:38 AM »
Oh wait - I may have had a breakthrough.  Does the ground strap assembly attach over one of the screws that is holding the bearing kit to the heater assembly and then is held in place by the nut sheet metal?  And then does the bottom of the ground strap assembly go behind the point on the bearing kit so that the pad is aligned with the point but facing the back of the dryer?

Someone please confirm for me, my diagram doesn't give me enough information.

Thanks a million.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »
I have a picture maybe you can see where it is on the back The tip touchs that to remove static electricity. Click pic to enlarge
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:06:38 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »
Now that I understand how all the parts fit together in the dryer, it seems a lot simpler than it did in the beginning.  And if I knew the solution to my dryer problem, I'm sure I'd feel like that was simple too.  It's always easier in hindsight.

Unfortunately, I don't know the solution to my problem.  The drum bearing replacement didn't take care of it.  the drum barrel still rubs against the heating coils making a scraping noise and causing blue "flames".

So while I may be a little bit smarter than I was before I attempted my first dryer repair, I'm still not smart enough.

By the way I also tried putting some extra felt in the front panel of the dryer to straighten out the tilt of the drum.  It did seem to straighten out, but the scraping remains.

So I'm thinking maybe a new dryer.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Or one last shot - Does anyone know of another possible solution to my problem?

Thanks, Mr. Webster, for the help you having given me thus far.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »
Have you replaced the front glides?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Online Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 12:41:39 AM »
I've got three here that I have acquired over a short period of time. I see this way to often. On the GE dryers the front glides need replaced but the owner does not replace them when there clothes start getting chewed up and buttons, zippers get ripped off. Once the glides are gone the whole front plastic support goes, then when that goes its metal on metal.

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 07:49:21 AM »
When I was trying to figure out the problem with the dryer, I thought the felt inserts in the front panel could be the source because they looked rather squished. So when I purchased the drum bearing I also purchased what I thought was the felt inserts.  As it turned out, it is the glides that you speak of. So I have the glides in hand now.

I have not replaced them because it didn't seem like they were the solution.  I haven't had any problems with the dryer other than the problem I am now challenged with (the drum rubbing against the heating coils) - no destruction of buttons, zippers, clothing, etc, and no other noises either.

How do these glides help?  Will they somehow guide the drum forward and away from the heating coils?  Or are they there just to protect the rubbing of the drum against the plastic?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:32 AM »
here is a pic click pic to enlarge
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »
I appreciate you taking the time so send me a picture.  I saw them on my dryer when I had it disassembled. 

I am still trying to figure out how they might fix my problem though.  How does replacing them cause the drum to tilt away from the heating coils?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »
You obviously have something wrong with the placement of the drum if it is rubbing the coils. Take it all apart and check it again. You may need the whole bearing kit for the back because I suspect the hole is wallowed out. Can you take it apart and post pictures?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

GE Dryer-Grinding Noise

Started by Dryerwoes11

Replies: 6
Views: 4454
Last post August 12, 2011, 05:09:49 PM
by AJ
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 7687
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 3503
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech
Maytag Neptune Dryer 4000 noise