Author Topic: Grinding noise in dryer  (Read 11944 times)

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
Grinding noise in dryer
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
My dryer says it's an RCA (BVLR333EV0WW), but I believe it is essentially a GE.

Last night my dryer started making an intermittent grinding noise - it seemed like it was in the same place each time the drum cycled around, but I am not sure. It sounded like metal rubbing against metal and there was some sparking. When I tried it without a load, the noise was less but still there.

I have now taken the dryer apart and it appears that the drum is rubbing against the heating coils in the back of the dryer. During disassembly it looked like the drum was a little tilted off center such that the back left side of the drum (when facing the front of the dryer) was closer to the back of the dryer than the back right side. I guess this makes sense because the grinding noise was coming from the back left. When I forced the drum back to center and manually rotated it there was no noise - I guess because the drum was no longer scraping on the coils. It went back to the tilted position when I let it go.

It's my first time trying to repair a dryer so this is all very new to me. Please tell me what the most likely cause of the problem is and how to troubleshoot it and fix it. A million thanks to anyone who can help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Grinding noise in dryer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
The small bearing in the middle part number WE3X75 is probably worn out and in need of replacement.

Repair photos
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Apparently my dryer isn't quite old enough to have the clip that you access on the back of the dryer, because there is no little door on the back of my dryer.
Does that change anything about the part that you recommend I order?

Are there any steps I can take to veryify which part has gone bad?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »
The newer model do not have the access panel in the rear, but the concept is the same. The drum has to come out to replace the part.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
Well I'm in deep now.  I've removed the drum, and in the middle of the heating element is a little piece that looks like a 3 toothed circular saw blade.  This piece runs through the center of the heating element pan and connects to what looks like the bearing that you're referring to.  I tried to separate the two pieces so that I could inspect them further, but the nut that is holding them together doesn't seem to want to budge.  Is there a secret to getting it off?

From what I can see of the bearing (mine is silver), it doesn't seem to be worn.  How do I know if that's the piece that needs to be replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
Do not remove any parts other than the drum.
The bearing(bushing) referenced is plastic.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
How did you get the drum out?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
I don't see a plastic bushing.

These were the steps I took in taking the drum out:
- Unplugged the dryer.
- Removed top by removing two screws.
- Removed the control panel by removing 7 screws.
- Removed front by removing 2 screws and the electrical connection for open door/power shutoff.
- Removed 3 screws inside of drum.
- Removed the belt off of the pulley.
- Removed the drum.

Additionally in trying to figure this out, since the rubbing was occurring on the "pan" attached to the back of the drum and the element, I also removed this "pan" so I could see how it was rubbing against the element. 

Then to find the bushing that you were talking about, I removed the other "pan" that holds the element.

So I also have:
- Several other screws removed.
- A small metal disc with 6 holes in it removed.
- A little clip that fell out of somewhere in the process.
- And what looks like half a nut that fell out of somewhere in the process also.

Please tell me what you suggest.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:05 PM »
I would look up the model number and find the parts to the rear bearing and go from there
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 09:06:39 AM »
Can you recommend a good place to look up the model number and see the parts so I can tell what part I should be ordering?

I'm a novice at this, so my evaluation may be off, but is it possible that the front glides could be causing the drum to twist slightly toward the back such that it would rub against the element in the back? 

I'm guessing the front glides are the long felt-like-material pads inside the front part of the dryer.  In my dryer it looks like there are suppose to be four, but I see only three glides.  The ones that are there, look a little "squished".  And the one that is missing is on the front right (when facing the dryer), which perhaps could make the drum twist toward the front right and twist toward the back in the left. 

What do you think?

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 09:30:18 AM »
Can you recommend a good place to look up the model number and see the parts so I can tell what part I should be ordering?

Here is the diagram for model BVLR333EV0WW
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
Thank you so much for the recommendation.  Ok, so if it was a snake it would have bit me, but truly being able to see the diagrams on this website helped tremendously.

Now I understand where the bearing is. And I had a revelation - Here I am trying to remove the nut off of the bearing kit to detach it and find the bearing, and all I had to do was slide the parts apart to see the bearing. Voila!

So  I have evaluated the bearing, and to my eye, it looks ok.  How do I know if it has gone bad?  How do I know if this is the problem or not?

It's an inexpensive part to buy so cost isn't the problem. Timing could be a problem though. I'd prefer to minimize the time it takes to do trial-and-error with various parts til I get it right. Also, the diagrams cleared up for me that there are only suppose to be 3 felt glides (not 4 as I suspected).

So now that I know one is not missing, is it still possible that the glides being "squished" over time are the problem?

Or is there another part I should consider as a possible problem?

A million thanks for anyone's help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
The bearing and slides will be real thin. Thin to the point you start hearing scrubbing and squeaking
repair photos
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »
I don't have a new bearing to compare it to, so I'm not sure how thin is "thin".  It is a little flexible when I squeeze on it.  Since you're the expert and believe this is the source of my problem, I'll go ahead and order the part, unless you change your diagnosis.   Dirty clothes are starting to stack up, so just in case the glides are the problem, I'll get those, too. 

The real trick for me is going to be putting the dryer back together when I'm done. :D

Thank you for your continued help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »
If it is thin enough that it is flexable then it is definately bad
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

GE Dryer-Grinding Noise

Started by Dryerwoes11

Replies: 6
Views: 3833
Last post August 12, 2011, 05:09:49 PM
by AJ
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 5095
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 2206
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech
Maytag Neptune Dryer 4000 noise