Author Topic: Maytag self clean wall oven  (Read 4851 times)

Online MajorApp

• Technician
Maytag self clean wall oven
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »
  My friend ran her oven on self clean, now when it is set to bake the broiler comes on. also only heats to 300. self clean still works.

Model CWE4700ABC  series 17

Offline apptech

• Technician
Re: Maytag self clean wall oven
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:35:32 AM »
Hi,

Check the bake element to see if it burnt out.

Online MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »
i got a look at this wall oven today. i was advised to check bake element. thought it would be an easy diagnose but is not. here are the details. ran self clean cycle. now when oven set to bake and temp knob turned on the fan starts and oven will start to heat until you get past 350 degrees, then fan shuts off and bake stops. everything works on timed bake. is the fan supposed to run continuous? could it be the clock and timer?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:48:07 AM »
The Electronic control (clock) has failed. The fan is controlled by the clock as well, and is normally programmed to run in Broil and only in the Bake cycle after 305 degrees has been achieved. After reviewing your model, it appears the part is NLA
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:50:49 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Online MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:23:05 AM »
thanks for the info. i will break the bad news. this was my first repair job. i was doing it for free for a friend to gain experience. it is a little discouraging because i failed to properly diagnose. could you tell me what fails on the clock/timer when it works on timed bake and the clock works fine. also i printed the tech. manual, is there anything i can do to repair.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:07:25 AM »
You can poke around on Ebay for the part, maybe. The clock functions are controlled by an EEPROM chip and a series of relays. No offense, but you are not likely capable of intense electronic repairs involving circuit boards and chips, nor do they make these parts easily available. Can you say "Planned Obsolescence"?   I knew you could :)

You'll also find out further down the road that the only time you are guaranteed to have problems is when you try to help family and friends out.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
Lots of times Maytag has had a replacement clock kit to fix this but they for some reason don't give out the tech sheet to the public. They are glad to sell the part but not too glad to tell you how to wire the new one. Call and complain to maytag loud enough and they may make it good. I doubt it though. Just do not be suckered into buying another stove with touch pad controls. They still make the old timey ones. I went and looked at new stoves one day and all that they had on display had electronics and sealed burners(both are no nos in my book). So I asked the guy where is the 30 inch gas stove with standing pilots and no electrical connections what so ever. He said we do not display that model. I said how many of them do you have? He said oh we have hundreds of them. I told him I want a White  plain Jane 30 inch free standing stove with old timey pilots and it better not plug in. The next day my stove was delivered as ordered. Yep they still make em. O0
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »
this particular wall oven is not a touch pad type. it has push button and a turn knob for setting time. it does have a digital display. it is at least 10 years old.
speaking of gas appliances. i recently bought a new home. it has a new amana gas big oven . ive never had a gas oven before. do they all put out that burnt gas smell when heating? i also have a gas dryer. is there an advantage of a gas dryer over electric? i would think electric would be more practical.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:51:50 PM »
Your model does have a self-clean thermostat on the upper oven. The clock only controls Auto-Bake functions in this instance. You also have a wiring diagram  under the top of the control panel which you'll need to test the thermostat and oven selector switches. The self-clean cycle likely blew the contacts in one of them, my guess being the thermostat. This item is still available should you be able to prove it bad using your diagram.

Online MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 06:33:53 PM »
this is a single oven. the last 3 letters in the model # are ACB not ABC. my fault. i dont think that matters though. i will do further testing next time im over there if i can keep them away for awhile.  :ignore:

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »
Well, shucks!  Here all this time I've been looking at the wrong model. There's truth to what a difference the wrong number arrangement can make. Hope I didn't waste your time with bad info...I call 'em like I get 'em. Here's your model below:

The clock controls the Auto Bake (Timed) functions and the Self-Clean cycle. If she did not cancel the self clean cycle by pressing the cancel button twice, it may still think it's in the clean mode. Also, be sure the door lock lever was not jammed up or opened prematurely after the last self-clean was performed. There are interlock switches that can affect cooking.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:55:22 PM by Repair-man »

Online MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:30:46 PM »
Thanks Repair-man. That info is making more sense. Sorry about the model# letters. I didn't see an ABC model in my book. My friend threw away the owners manual years ago. That could have been helpful in knowing how to cancel self clean. I'll check the door lock also and try to find the owners manual on the net. Thanks again. I'll let you know the results

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 07:31:50 AM »
MajorApp,

Did you have any luck getting this one repaired?

Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Online MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »
 No. The parts were No Longer Available so the customer decided to scrap it and buy a new one.

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Maytag Double Wall oven lights

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 2
Views: 3829
Last post December 23, 2007, 01:26:06 PM
by kjagmin
16022514 Maytag Jenn-Air Gas Wall Oven Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2671
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:23:53 PM
by AJ
Maytag Wall Oven

Started by RAH52

Replies: 2
Views: 1972
Last post January 21, 2009, 07:37:43 PM
by RAH52
Maytag wall oven

Started by liza555

Replies: 4
Views: 2011
Last post August 22, 2011, 04:44:22 PM
by AJ
Bosch wall oven has heat with door open,no heat with door losed.self clean works

Started by shillion

Replies: 6
Views: 2352
Last post October 20, 2013, 01:19:57 AM
by AJ
Maytag Range no Oven Operation

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2712
Last post March 29, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
by TechnicianBrian