Author Topic: GE Dryer DDE8500SBMWH Heating Problem  (Read 2524 times)

Offline police22

• VIP Member
GE Dryer DDE8500SBMWH Heating Problem
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »
My sisters dryer was bought used off of craigslist. It worked for a few weeks then would stop heating then would work again. Its random. The input voltage is correct at the connectors on dryer.

I have been searching and searching on how to take this one apart. Mine was simple but this one seems to come apart in pieces or something and don't want to do it wrong. Anyone have a repair manual or know how to tear this down so that I can check/test the thermostat and heating element?

Thanks for any input and information!!  O0

Model DDE8500SBMWH

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Dryer DDE8500SBMWH Heating Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:26:14 PM »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 04:07:23 AM »
Make sure your vent is clear!!!! Turn the dryer on and check it on the outside of the house for a good strong airflow.  A dryer needs three principle's to work properly... Heat, Air flow, and tumble action. If any one of these are gone, your gonna have wet clothes.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline police22

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
a repair pictoral

Thanks so much.. gonna head over there and try that..  O0

Offline police22

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
Make sure your vent is clear!!!! Turn the dryer on and check it on the outside of the house for a good strong airflow.  A dryer needs three principle's to work properly... Heat, Air flow, and tumble action. If any one of these are gone, your gonna have wet clothes.

Tumble Action: Working and very good
Air Flow: Very Good Air Flow from back of dryer and out side. No clogs...
Heat: When it wants to.. He posted how to take it apart.. Gonna try it in a bit and will be able to check element and thermostats..

Thanks again!!  O0

Offline police22

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »
Well got it apart thanks to JWWebsters post.

Tested element and tested good.

Not sure on how to test the thermostats. Do you check ohms too? or ?

Thanks

Ill do some searching to see what I can find... The thermostats are basically the same on all models as far as testing them right?

Offline police22

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:09:02 PM »
Well got it apart thanks to JWWebsters post.

Tested element and tested good.

Not sure on how to test the thermostats. Do you check ohms too? or ?

Thanks

Ill do some searching to see what I can find... The thermostats are basically the same on all models as far as testing them right?

Ok found out how to test it..
This is what it said:
The wires leading to the thermostat are connected using metal slip on connectors. Remove the wires by pulling on the connectors, and not the wires themselves. It may be a good idea to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to help you.

Set your multimeter to the R X 1 setting. Take each of your meter's probes and touch one to each terminal. You are testing for continuity, and you should receive a reading of either zero or infinity. At room temperature, testing the thermostat should produce a reading of zero. But if a thermostat is tested when it is heated to its limit, a reading of infinity should be produced. We strongly recommend that you test your thermostat at room temperature.

If the test you conduct with your thermostat does not produce these results, then you should replace the component.

I did this and it reads at .01 all 4 do.. I am using a Fluke12 Mulitmeter. Is this right?
Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
I use the audio beeping fluke. If it beeps its good. If all thermostats check out you might need to remove the timer and clean the contacts inside. This timer is easy to repair. Just open it up and file clean the contacts. Nothing to it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:32:53 PM »
It is possible the centrifugal switch on the motor is sticking from time to time.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline police22

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »
I use the audio beeping fluke. If it beeps its good. If all thermostats check out you might need to remove the timer and clean the contacts inside. This timer is easy to repair. Just open it up and file clean the contacts. Nothing to it.
Well did check the timer cause read about it breaking or coming loose.. yada yadda..

Took apart and few contact looked burnt.. Tried cleaning and scraping as good as I can but couldn't test as I had to leave. But Gonna say 95% sure that may have been it as everything else looked and checked out good..

Thanks for all your help.. Will try to post if I can get back over there. Cousin had an extra dryer in garage and letting her use it so not in a hurry now to fix it.. but think its gonna work now..

Thanks again Ya'll Rock!!! O0 O0

Dryer heating problem

Started by Jn oh

Replies: 11
Views: 239
Last post July 19, 2014, 11:18:42 AM
by Jn oh
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 6472
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM