I usually try an ask a repair man before I dive into a new investment, IE: car, TV, computer, ect.. The people that work on the machine's know the most about them, from cost of replacement parts to serviceability... My personal opinion on front-load washer's is varying.
This is just my 2 cents.
- They use way less water, energy, soap
- They cut dry time down tremendously because of their high spin
- You can wash larger loads than most top loads
- Way better for the environment
- Septic an drain field safe
- They look cool
- Parts for repair are expensive on front loaders compared to top loaders
- Service time on Front loaders average 15 -30 minutes longer than on most top loads
- If the directions are not followed properly in regards to soap you will get mold, mildew, and odors
- The pump can easily become clogged, especially with pets, and some machines are a pain to clean out
If used properly front loaders can be fantastic machines. But when they break, they will cost you more then a top load to repair... Most of us service techs usually see front loaders at their worst and can easily gain a negative opinion on them. I own a Maytag Neptune MAH9700 and haven't had any issues with it since i got it 4 years ago, and if i had to buy another washing machine, it would be a front loader. Hope this helps at least a little.