Author Topic: Frigidaire Dishwasher Leaking from the Door  (Read 6531 times)

Offline jaikens

• VIP Member
Frigidaire Dishwasher Leaking from the Door
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
I just installed a brand new Frigidaire FDB4050LHB1 Dishwasher.  I cannot remember the model number but it starts with "fdb".  I'm at work right now, and do not have access to it.  After making all of the plumbing connections and verifying that there were no leaks.  I decided to run an empty cycle to check for other issues. Around 40 minutes in I noticed water dripping from the bottom center of the door.  I cancled the cylce, and inspected the unit.  I noticed that the bottom door seal has a six inch gap in the center.  I am convinced that the water is leaking though this gap because all of the drips are within this space.  So, I verified that the unit was level, and I pulled the seal out a little in hopes that this would make a better seal.  It still leaks the same amount in the same six inch area at the same time in the cycle.  Is this gap necessary for venting?  Is there a replacement seal that doesn't have the gap?  Could the empty cycle be the cause of the leak?  This is the last step in a complete kitchen remodel, and I have already had to force Lowe's to replace a brand new Samsung fridge that stopped freezing.  I really don't want to wait another three months for them to replace a new diswasher.  Please help!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jaikens

• VIP Member
Re: Frigidaire Dishwasher Leaking from the Door
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:06:58 PM »
I actually posted this as a reply to the post you are referring me to.  I am not sure how my post got split off into a seperate thread.  I read that post, and I was thinking the same thing, but since the middle six inches of the seal are not there, and the replacement part looks the same (missing middle).  I'm not sure a new seal will help unless there are replacement seals that are not missing the middle six inches.  I'm having a hard time understanding why an engineer would design a seal, and then leave out the center portion.  How can it seal if it is not there?  Based on this design, I'm not confident that it will ever be leak free.

Mine looks just like the one in the bulletin below.  I guess I could order a new one and try it out. I just don't see how the seal can work in the center.

www.electoluxtopservicelatam.com

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 01:03:06 PM »
I cannot remember the model number but it starts with "fdb".

Please do post the model number for us when you get a chance.

I actually posted this as a reply to the post you are referring me to.  I am not sure how my post got split off into a seperate thread.

:wave:

I spit it off because it seems your topic is about a different model number then the other post.

Posting Basics - Starting a New Topic

# Please do not ask your own question in a topic.
In other words, please don't hijack the topic and make it yours.
Start your own topic and reference the other topic related to your issue.

It just helps keep things in order if we do it this way. :)

Thanks for posting your questions.

RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline jaikens

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
Ah, I see.  Sorry, I was hoping that I could get the attention of the original author by posting in his thread.  Seems that broke just about every rule.  It won't happen again.

I will get the model # as soon as I get home.

Sorry for the confusion.

JAikens

Offline jaikens

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »
Model# FDB4050LHB1

I ran two loads of dishes through last night with no leaks.  So, as it stands now.  It has leaked 100% of cycles when empty, and not leaked 100% cycles when full of dishes.  My questions are... 

Is it common for them to leak if ran empty? 

Since this unit is new. Should I go ahead a report it to the manufacturer even though I have no seen a leak when loaded?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »
If it don't leak while loaded I would not bother.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
I have a quick question...are you on a water softener?
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline whjeffs

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
Frigidaire has had 2 newer bulletins regarding this leaking in the corners. It's a very common problem and I have seen a lot of service calls on brand new units when inspectors do their checks before a new house is sold they will run the dishwasher (with no dishes in it of course) and by the time the dishwasher switches to the upper spray arm it starts splashing out underneath the door. Adjusting the seals per the bulletins usually works. Once the dishwasher is actually loaded with dishes and used as it was intended there is much less likelyhood of a leak. This is due to the dishes diverting much of the water away from directly spraying against & running down the inside corners of the doors (which in turn creates the splashes of water under the corners).

The 2 bulletins can be found on the Frigidaireservicetips.com site. I was going to attach them but they exceed the maximum attachment size.

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 8
Views: 29894
Last post December 14, 2011, 04:09:22 PM
by whirlpooltech

Started by meindl

Replies: 9
Views: 3859
Last post November 19, 2010, 07:12:05 PM
by jumptrout51