Author Topic: Ric Deputy Memorial Scholarship  (Read 3861 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Ric Deputy Memorial Scholarship
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Renton Technical College: Appliance & Refrigeration Training

The Renton Technical College Foundation has established a memorial scholarship in the memory of Ric Deputy, the long-time Major Appliance Technology instructor who passed away August of 2000.

Ric came to Renton Vocational Technical Institute, as RTC was known then, in 1972. Instructors who knew him in those days have all responded with stories of his generosity and positive attitude. Several shared how he and wife Carol would invite the entire faculty to their house for a yearly garden party.  As his former students and colleagues know, his unique and warm teaching style left many such wonderful memories.  

Ric served his academic community in other ways as well. He was twice President of the Renton Federation of Teachers, which he was instrumental in establishing as a separate bargaining unit under the statewide federation.  He was also recognized in 1993 as one of the winners of Renton Technical College and Puget Sound Energy’s Exceptional Faculty Award.  

All of the current Maytag Techs who are RTC Alumni where in part trained by Ric.

The scholarship we hope to fulfill in Ric’s name is a perpetual endowment which can provide for years to come through the use of its earnings for the good of the students in the Major Appliance and Refrigeration Technology Program. We are proud to have reached the first level in establishing a $2500.00 endowment to support this scholarship and hope to increase it to a minimum of $5000.00 .

This effort will benefit from promotion through the Foundation’s “Scholarship for Every Program” initiative recently adopted by our college Foundation’s Board of Directors.  Foundation staff has been spreading the word about this vision around campus for several weeks and it has been received enthusiastically.

If you’d like to know more about how you can help, please don’t hesitate to call the Foundation Office at (425) 235-2356.  Thank you for considering supporting Renton Technical College and its Foundation.  

Donations can be sent directly to the Foundation Office referencing the Major Appliance Program Endowment and Ric Deputy Scholarship. See address below for college.

Renton Technical College
Foundation
3000 NE 4ht St
Renton WA 98056
www.rtc.edu

The attachment below is a RTC Appliance & Refrigeration program brochure.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: Ric Deputy Memorial Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
I think this is a great scholarship and can't think of a better way to help out our future appliance repair and refrigeration technicians.

ApplianceJunk.com will be donating 5% of the commission we make through our appliance parts sales for the month of January, 2010 to the Ric Deputy Memorial Scholarship.

This includes all appliance parts sales made through our affiliates and our own parts store.

I would also like to encourage anyone that found ApplianceJunk.com helpful to also consider making a donation of there own directly to the Ric Deputy Memorial Scholarship.

Offline Paul Baeder

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
John,
Thanks , this is a very generous gesture and much appreciated.
Paul B

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
 O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »
I wanted to update this topic with a some information I felt you should know.

First off to my embarrassment after I promised to donate 5% of the commission we made through our appliance parts sales for the month of January I went and forgot about it.  :embarassed:

Thankfully this summer I received a very nice email from Paul reminding me and letting me know that they had not received our donation yet.

Boy did I feel like a jerk after reading that email. I know talk can be cheap, especially when it online.

I was quick to get a check in the mail after receiving the email from Paul. Today I was surprised to get a nice thank you letter in the mail from them.

I would like to encourage anyone that has received help from our site to consider making a donation to the Ric Deputy Memorial Scholarship.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:25 PM »
Very nice of you to do. I don't recall ever seeing any of the other appliance repair forums make such a donation to something that directly contributes to our future technicians.

This site helps so many people from consumer to technicians and now even future technicians.  O0

Offline deepwoods

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »
Not only a helpful person, but very honest also.  O0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »
You da man  O0
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline bakeray

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »
The program at Renton Tech has a waiting list now.  Went from 6 to 10 in a class to 20 to 25.