Author Topic: TImer problems with Kenmore HE2 Gas Dryer  (Read 4594 times)

Offline infrared013

• VIP Member
TImer problems with Kenmore HE2 Gas Dryer
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »
I have a kenmore 6.7cu ft super capacity HE2 gas dryer that has been having issues with the timer for some time now.  It seems that it gets hung up or stuck and actually runs for much much longer than the time originally set for.  ANother fun little tidbit is that it isnt uncommon for me to go check on the dryer and see that the timer reads, 75, 81, 86 etc or a variety of other odd high numbers.  I looked at it the other day and it said 6 minutes left so I went and did some other things - came back 20 min later and it still said 6 min.

Anyone see anything like this and possibly know the cause?  I have an appointment with a SEARS tech to come look at it but they charge either 129 or 205 to fix it depending on if you buy the protection plan which supposedly protects you from repairs where parts are expensive.  If I could fix this by myself or somehow do it cheaper I would be eternally grateful for the info.

Thanks in advance

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: TImer problems with Kenmore HE2 Gas Dryer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:51:19 PM »
Does this dryer have a model number?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:14:39 AM »
also, does it do it in the Timed (non-auto dry) Dry cycle ?

and ... how's your Vent System ?

After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline infrared013

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »
It is MFG Model #96562.  I also notice on this unit that my outside lint screen is always clogged and there seems to be lint that almost bypasses the inside lint screen in the unit.  I dont know how or why it does this.  I'm not sure if this is the problem or not though since I go clean the outside vent off at the start of every load.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:27:34 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline infrared013

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »
whats that link supposed to give me?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
Did you click on it? That is a 96 page late model HE dryer tech repair manual. The link does not work I guess? Man i am so sick of computers.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline infrared013

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
yeah for some reason it wasnt opening for me at first but now it is - thanks a lot I will page through it!

Offline infrared013

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »
ok so I followed the diagnistic troubleshooting steps and after I perform the steps to enter diagnostic mode and then open the door it does in fact beep and display a numeric character which according to the document points to a potential short in the moisture sensor.  I'm not very handy with electical so this may be as far as I can go with it.  Anyone have any info on how to check/replace/fix the moisture sensor?

Thanks again so far for everything!

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
First clean the moisture sensor with rubbing alcohol and try the dryer again.
That may correct the problem. If not we will go to the next step.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
Now the moisture sensor would need to be placed so that the clothes can rub up against it like beyounce' on a cold night dig? Right below the filter on the inside of the drum is the preferred by engineers. Goop gets built up on them dudes and the brain cannot determine if the clothes is dry er not. By wiping these dudes clean you can probably live a life again. Two skinny metal stripes mounted under the filter you say? to register the resistance between the strips you say? where the hell are they you say? OK digging though piles of internet crap to find ya pic. Stay tuned amigo.  :rofl: You gonna owe me and jumpy a beer if we gitz this one ! Come to think of it from what you described that could be exactly the problem.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:29:06 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
Make sure your wires on the back of the sensor are on tight.

Offline infrared013

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 10:09:48 PM »
yeah I did find the sensors, one of the diagnostic tests was to bridge them with your finger and it should beep if its operating correctly and it did.  BUt a step before that said that once you enter diagnostic mode (by pushing a button for 3 seconds then releasing for 3 seconds for a set pattern), if you open the door and it beeps and the LED displays a different numeric value than the 88 that is on by default then there is supposedly a short in the moisture sensor.  I Will certainly try cleaning them off good and then seeing my results.  I took the whole filter and vent housing off and cleaned it real good with the vaccuum to get rid of all the old lint that may have been adding moisture to the area.....other than that and checking that the sensor wires are on tight thats all I can really do

Offline agharez

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
Now the moisture sensor would need to be placed so that the clothes can rub up against it like beyounce' on a cold night dig? Right below the filter on the inside of the drum is the preferred by engineers. Goop gets built up on them dudes and the brain cannot determine if the clothes is dry er not. By wiping these dudes clean you can probably live a life again. Two skinny metal stripes mounted under the filter you say? to register the resistance between the strips you say? where the hell are they you say? OK digging though piles of internet crap to find ya pic. Stay tuned amigo.  :rofl: You gonna owe me and jumpy a beer if we gitz this one ! Come to think of it from what you described that could be exactly the problem.

Kenmore (70) electric dryer timer problems??

Started by bigzinmiami

Replies: 3
Views: 2075
Last post September 13, 2009, 02:59:04 PM
by Repair-man
Kenmore Elect. dryer timer stops prior to off position

Started by Basement mech.

Replies: 4
Views: 2008
Last post January 27, 2009, 12:55:20 PM
by Whirlpool®
Kenmore Series 70 Electric Dryer thermostat problems