Author Topic: Need a bearing kit for Neptune (and the puller)  (Read 6855 times)

Offline twmattox

• VIP Member
Need a bearing kit for Neptune (and the puller)
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:19:57 AM »
I have the Neptune washer (MAH4000AWW) and the bearings have been going out for a while.  I am now in a position I can work on it and get it running well again.  I had a contact for a person to rent me the bearing puller, and sell me the bearings, wax motor, belts, and isolator kit.  However, he is no longer returning email or voicemail (glad I didn't send him the money).  Anyone on here recommend a place to rent/purchase these items???

Thoma

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Need a bearing kit for Neptune (and the puller)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
I have the Neptune washer (MAH4000AWW) and the bearings have been going out for a while.  I am now in a position I can work on it and get it running well again.  I had a contact for a person to rent me the bearing puller, and sell me the bearings, wax motor, belts, and isolator kit.  However, he is no longer returning email or voicemail (glad I didn't send him the money). Anyone on here recommend a place to rent/purchase these items???

Thoma

Care to share who it was?
Does he have a website?

See if this is any help.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=5233.0

Neptune Bearing Repair - Pic Tutorial by crystal368

Offline twmattox

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »
Thanks for the links...  This may sound funny, but I would just rather rent the tool (finding the time for me to repair the bearing has been difficult enough).  If I have to make a tool first, I know I will just procrastinate even longer...

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:41:26 PM »
I just used a 1/2" drive socket extension and put a socket that fit snugly thru the front bearing center hole and knocked out the rear bearing with a small sledge hammer. Then I used a scrap piece of 1 1/4 iron pipe with a pipe cap threaded on the end to knock out the front bearing. Clean up the hub with round wire wheel on a drill real good and the shaft and spacer. Then put rear bearing in first with a brass punch hitting only the outer race of the new bearing until its in all the way then put snap ring back on. I put spacer back in and held it centered with the same socket and extension but inserted it from the rear. Then drive in the front bearing with brass punch checking the spacer is centered before you fully seat front bearing.
Maytag neptune bearings, Seal kit part # 12002022, belt is part # 12001788, WAX MOTOR # 12002535

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
I have a Neptune series 4000 front load washer with noisy bearings. I am considering doing the bearing job and wondered if freezing the bearings in dry ice  will make it easier to install these in the hub. My house freezer is cold but dry ice would be even colder and I wonder if this is worth the effort.

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:09:54 PM »
They don't go in too hard that would probably make it even easier

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:20:23 PM »
I also was wondering if the hub bores can be warmed up with a hair dryer to make the new bearings go in easier or if that also is a waste of time. Since the hub is not metal I presume the the bores have a metal sleeve. Is the metal sleeve thick enough to withstand any significant heat ?  Is this sleeve made of steel or aluminum ? Any idea of thickness ?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
I always leave the bearings in the freezer overnight. They tap right in with a hammer and small punch.Getting them in is not the problem. Much harder to get the old ones out.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
I am in the midst of installing new bearings in a Neptune series 4000 front loader and have found the info in the writeup by crystal368 to be very helpful. One small item that may be of value to the next person is a spacer alignment tool I made from wood similar to crystal. The one change I made to my version is to provide a small diameter  at the one end to fit in the rear bearing ID. It acts as a pilot for this tool and allows the spacer line up easier. The OD of this pilot is 1and 3/16" and is 1/4" wide. I made this alignment tool by carefully griinding a 2" X  2" piece of hardwood to a roundform to fit inside the spacer. It is 2" long with a hole drilled thru to allow the threaded puller rod to pass. This version washer uses a thin wall steel spacer not an aluminum version as crystal mentions. The front bearing and seal were garbage when I tore it apart. The rear bearing came out fairly easy and was not in bad shape but the front bearing was very hard to get it out. It took a lot of pounding with a heavy sledge and a steel pipe but it finally came loose.
An additional suggestion for anyone attempting this job is to make sure you have  snap ring pliers big enough to remove the rear bearing retaing ring before you start. I thought mine was large enough but it was not. All the suppliers in this area told me they could not help and I would have to contact  someone like Snap On  Tools . I finally managed to make extra long tangs to fit  but it was still very difficult

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
This a follow up to the installation I started yesterday involving replacing the seal and bearings of a Neptune 4000 front load washer. If at all possible get a friend to help you especially when it comes time to install the front bearing and the spacer between the bearings. Freezing the bearings and using a light bulb to warm up the metal part of the housing is  very helpful . The rear bearing went in easily. The front bearing was not easy and the small wooden dowel I made was not adequate. An alignment tool cut on a lathe from  hard plastic would be a better way to do it. The pilot diamter at the rear bearing needs to be longer than I originally specified ---about the thickness of the rear bearing and much longer overall length. The parts were purchased from a supplier in Ohio who did a very good job in terms of time . They supply a DVD with the parts showing the procedure to install but a person needs to watch the      way the old parts come out to prevent an assembly error. This is not an easy or cheap job  and quite a bit of tooling expense is involved  and I never was able to find a large pair of snap ring pliers.

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »
But, you now have a quiet Neptune, right? One of the best front load washers ever made

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »
After a difficult and time consuming repair I got the Neptune back together and tested it in a normal cycle. It worked very well with no noise in the spin cycle. I sold it in a day or so and lost $5 on the deal when I considered what I spent on tooling. A real good learning experience but a person has to buy these front loaders for scrap price to make a small profit on a resale. Maytag really screwed the pooch when they made these washers.

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
Actually, it was one of the better FL machines made. There isn't a new FL washer that comes close to cabinet vibration performance as that Neptune. Bearing life is 7-8 years on the better machines. Sure, they had the board&wax motor issue, the motor control issue and the door boot with no drain, but the last of those real Neptunes were an awesome machine. Now all these women are bent on having to see their clothes go round and round. Trade off is the see through door machines won't stay still if their life depended on it. Maytag's in door counter vibration weight really worked well. Too bad sales wins over service!

Neptune Bearing Repair - Pic Tutorial

Started by crystal368

Replies: 7
Views: 6840
Last post November 30, 2009, 11:57:25 AM
by IrnBear
Maytag Neptune F/L Outer tub and bearing

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 3
Views: 3268
Last post February 06, 2010, 09:53:11 AM
by bobdell
neptune bearing

Started by repairguy42

Replies: 3
Views: 2034
Last post August 31, 2010, 05:49:59 AM
by RAH52
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Bearing Replacement (loud noise during spin)

Started by TonyWilliams

Replies: 6
Views: 12065
Last post December 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Bearing Replacement Project.

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 10
Views: 9045
Last post January 10, 2012, 10:20:09 AM
by JWWebster
Maytag Neptune Spin Problems after Bearing Replacement

Started by johnny_a

Replies: 8
Views: 3599
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:17:35 PM
by tgoods