Author Topic: 1yo Whirlpool Dryer burning smell--how to open the top to vacuum  (Read 5515 times)

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
So I noticed a burning smell while the dryer is on.  I pulled the dryer away from the wall and cleaned all the lint behind the dryer and inside the metal dryer vent (from dryer to the opening in the wall.  Then I went downstairs and took apart the vent and vacuumed (very little lint build up) the dryer vent all the way outside. A few years ago, there was a lint plug near the outside exit, which caused a fuse in our previous dryer to shut down, so I try to make sure the plumbing from the dryer is clean of all lint to where it exits the house.

My question is how do I pop the top on this dryer so I can see inside (especially around the heating element)?  My old dryer was pretty easy.  Just take a putty knife and pop the catches about 1-2 inches from each front corner.  I found the two catches on this one, but they seem to be a little more stubborn.  I don't want to force it, so is there anything I need to know about opening up this dryer?

Model WED5100VQ0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: 1yo Whirlpool Dryer burning smell--how to open the top to vacuum
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »
Remove the filter and the 2 top screws holding down the top and use a putty knife to pop the top. Then remove the screws holding the front and raise up the front to release the bottom clips. then remove the idler and get the drum out. I get all the loose change :2funny:

L-58 Whirlpool Dryer Mechanical Systems Manual
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:56:24 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:07:23 PM »
Is the heating element at the top like my previous Maytag, or is it near the bottom?

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:55:27 PM »
Another question:  I got the top lifted off. I need to disconnect the wire assembly (front right area).  The connections don't seem to detach that easily.  Is there a trick to that?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
Just try not to screw up the clips but yeah get mean with it. Don't pull on the wire though. Grab the clips. Use some good needle nose pliers. I thought them newer dryers had a quick connect plug? You shouldn't be having a probo with that.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 03:04:50 PM »
OK, I'll use pliers, then.  Just didn't want to do any damage to the harness.  My old Maytag was easy to remove the wires.

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:16:39 PM »
Well, got everything apart, and it looked like there was very little lint near the heater element.  It took a little bit of thinking, though to figure out exactly how the belt tensioner should be positioned, but I got it back together.  I turned the dryer on (it worked!) and noticed a slight burning smell again, but I think it went away.  Maybe eliminating as much lint as possible is the key.  I did vacuum the inside rear of the dryer when the back vent was off.  Maybe that is all that is needed.  I'll hate it if I ever have to replace the heating element, or fuse.  That'll be a bit of work.  Was nice w/the Maytag when that stuff was on top.  Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I didn't find any loose change, just a few baby socks.

Offline Rotorranch

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
Dryer manual Remove the filter and the 2 top screws holding down the top and use a putty knife to pop the top. Then remove the screws holding the front and raise up the front to release the bottom clips. then remove the idler and get the drum out. I get all the loose change :2funny:

JWWebster... THANKS! I've been trying to find a disassembly guide for my dryer ( WGD5300SQ0 ) for a while. The dryer runs but won't heat, and I couldn't figure out how to take it apart to test and repair it. Your link provided exactly what I needed.

Thanks again!

Rotor

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »
Glad ye could get er done.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Performa Dryer Model Number PYE2000AYW Loud Thud & Burning Smell?

Started by bug34

Replies: 4
Views: 1581
Last post July 14, 2012, 10:46:14 AM
by JWWebster
110.86171100 Kenmore dryer has burning smell after replacing parts.

Started by ren

Replies: 3
Views: 1558
Last post August 07, 2012, 04:43:52 PM
by ren
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 9024
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
Video: How to take your Whirlpool dryer apart to replace parts & remove lint

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 21381
Last post August 16, 2007, 06:02:43 PM
by AJ
How to replace Whirlpool Dryer Motor.