Author Topic: Kenmore / LG refrigerator french door "latch" repair 795.77304600  (Read 7633 times)

Offline eben

• VIP Member
The doors on the Kenmore (795.77304600) version of the LG fridge add a latch on the inner top of each door.  In the following figure, the latch tabs appear to be part of the gaskets (233A/B).

Exploded Door View

When working, they seem to help keep the doors closed; however, on mine, the latches both broke off and now the doors tend to pop open, especially when closing the freezer.

I called Parts Direct and after some internal consultations, they decided that the latch tabs were part of the gaskets.  Before ordering replacement gaskets, I wanted to confirm I was getting the correct parts, so I took off a gasket so see how things were assembled.  The gasket pushes into the door on 3 sides and on the 4th, it has a vertical slide into a hinged/spring loaded plastic part.  The latch tabs are (supposed to be) attached to the plastic part that the gasket slides into.  This plastic part is the actual broken item.  

I fiddled with the door for a while, but there was no obvious means to remove this part from the door and consequently suspect that the part actually is contained within the door assembly and not the gasket.

Has anyone had any experience with replacing this part?  Is it really part of the gasket assembly and if so, how does one remove / replace it?

Thanks!

Eric

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore / LG refrigerator french door "latch" repair 795.77304600
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
I have burned the gasket replacement video on a cd. Give me yer address and I will mail it to ya.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore / LG refrigerator french door "latch" repair 795.77304600
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:27:10 PM »
The file is too large to download on youtube. tried it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

LG French Door Refrigerator LRF** Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 8148
Last post July 07, 2008, 09:42:35 PM
by AJ
LG bottom Freezer french door error "ER 1F"

Started by chengsr

Replies: 8
Views: 16900
Last post October 12, 2010, 09:47:39 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool F/F in door ice maker "clacking" noises

Started by Dave Walsh

Replies: 9
Views: 5120
Last post July 09, 2008, 06:43:21 AM
by Repair-man
Buying a new refrigerator - looking at LG French door model ?

Started by rkpatt

Replies: 1
Views: 1896
Last post August 07, 2008, 06:40:51 PM
by AJ
8201649 Whirlpool Refrigerator Ice Door Repair Kit

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4885
Last post June 07, 2009, 01:25:06 PM
by AJ
KAR-17 KitchenAid Built-In French Door Bottom Mount Refrigerator Service Manual