Author Topic: Whirlpool Gold S/S bad air flow to refer  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Mmfh

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Gold S/S bad air flow to refer
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out the cooling problem with this fridge.  Freezer works fine, I found that the air cross over tube from freezer compartment to fridge was full of ice on the freezer side.   Plastic "L" shaped tube coming out of the upper right side and pointing down toward the fan.

Removed the tube and ran hot water to clear it out.   Also removed by scraping, some ice from the piece that the tube attached too.   I can take a long phillips screwdriver and stick it from the freezer and watch it come out in the fridge so I know at least part of it is now clear.

I can feel some cool air coming out of the vent in the fridge but not very much, nothing was coming out before I removed the ice from the tube.   I noticed something I thought was strange,  when the freezer door is open the amount of air coming out of the vent inside of the fridge is much, much better.

Figured there must be a plugged up vent somewhere and removed the grill from the vent on the left side wall of the fridge about a third of the way up from the bottom and found nothing in there.   Did notice quite a bit of water in bottom of fridge below crisper drawl.

Please help me understand how the air flow is supposed to work on this fridge and things I might check to get this going before I lose all its contents.

Thank you very much, Happy Holidays!!

2001, Whirlpool Gold,  Side by Side,  Ice&Water in door  25 cu ft.

Mm

Model GD5SHAXKQ00

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool Gold S/S bad air flow to refer
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
Air comes in at the top and goes out  behind the lowest crisper drawer on the left wall. For there to be frost covering the  upper hole indicates an air leak from one of the doors.

What are the current temps in the freezer section?
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Mmfh

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
The freezer temp is just about 5 degrees.  I'm not sure why but not too long after I started this thread the air flow seems to have improved.  Not sure what the air flow felt like before I started having problems but its much better than before. 

I'm wondering if the thermostat for the fridge took a little while to get with the program and let the cold air into the fridge?

I put it back together and put a thermometer in there and after about 2 hours now it has went from about 70 degrees down to just over 50.

Maybe It is working now and I should figure that's good, and find out why the ice maker doesn't work.   :)

I'll keep an eye on this and let you know if it doesn't continue cooling down like it should.

On to the Ice Maker!

Thanks very much!

Mm

Offline Mmfh

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:33:43 PM »
Hey everyone,

Things seem to be back to normal, the freezer is at about 5 degrees and the fridge is at 44 degrees and everything seems cold.

I took over night for it to get down that low but if it hold that temp I'm happy!

The only thing I did was basically clear the ice out of the air tube that supplies cold air to the fridge.

This is a great forum, Thanks very much!

Mm

Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker not working- please help

Started by pudge2824

Replies: 6
Views: 33732
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:00:39 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Gold Ice Not Ejecting

Started by Texanite

Replies: 2
Views: 2506
Last post January 18, 2009, 11:39:21 AM