Author Topic: Video: How to make your Whirlpool ice maker run for testing and diagnostics  (Read 40950 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
This video shows you a complete ice maker cycle in real time. You can put the ice maker into a test mode to make your ice maker run as shown in the video clip.

IMPORTANT NOTE: For no ice or low ice production, always confirm normal (0-5 Deg F) freezer temperatures before beginning diagnostic checks. The ice maker is designed not to run if the freezer in  not in this temperature range.

In this test mode the ice make will go through the harvest, testing the heater. You will also know if the ice maker motor is working by putting the ice maker though this test cycle.

With the ice maker in test mode it will also run the water fill cycle. This will tell you if the water valve is working and if the water line is frozen or open.

If you find the water fill tube that goes to the ice maker is frozen you will have to thaw it out.
If you have to keep thawing the fill tube out then you will want to install a [url=http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=omv7WULuxaw&offerid=92089.532216931&type=10&subid=]Fill Tube and Heater Kit [/url]icon .

It is very simple to get the ice maker into this test mode. there are only a few steps you have to take.

Note: The optics must be working properly (in-door ice makers only) to test the ice maker.

Important: If the freezer temperature is not cold enough to allow the ice maker bi-metal to close, a jumper must be installed on the ice maker at the test points T and H, and the test rerun.

1. Run an optics check (in-door ice makers only)

2. Disconnect power to the unit.

3. Slide the ice maker out of the mounting rails and leave the wiring harness connected.

4. Jumper the thermostat, as shown below. You can not leave it this way or your ice make could flood your house. You only jumper the thermostat for testing!

5. Remount the ice maker, making sure that the water fill tube is inside the fill cup.

6. Connect power to the unit.

7. Make sure there is a clear path across the bin for the infrared beam to travel to the receiver sensor. (in-door ice makers only)

8. Close the freezer door and wait 5 seconds to allow the optics relay to close.

9. Open the freezer door and you will see the ejector bar moving. Remove the thermostat jumper prior to the ejector blades reaching the 10:00 position, or else you will not see the water fill. The mold should be warm due to the heater operation.

10. Disconnect the power immediately after the water fill. If the ice make will not fill with water Check the Water Valve to make sure it is working.

11. With the freezer door closed, reconnect the power.

12. Wait for a minimum of 5 seconds, and a maximum of 50 seconds, then open the freezer door, and view the status of the LED for the output codes.

4322658A R-92 Whirlpool and KitchenAid Indoor Ice System - Ice Maker Service Repair Manual

WHIRLPOOL Complete Icemaker Assembly (8 Cube), part number: AP3182733

This icemaker is for 25-27 cubic feet models that have vertical auger dispenser installed in the freezer door. 8 cube icemaker.

WHIRLPOOL 4389102 Refrigerator P.c. Board Kit, AP3137510

Related Topics:
Top Ten Whirlpool and KitchenAid Indoor Icemaker Repair Topics
2002 Whirlpool Icemaker - IDI - 3rd unit - need help
Ice maker still not working?
kenmore ice maker
Kenmore SxS Model 106.56563400 Ice Maker Problems
kitchenaid (icemaker problem) wiring harden troubleshooting
Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker not working- please help
Still making too much ice
kenmore icemaker (no ice)
Kenmore 106.52552100 ice maker problems
Whirlpool Ice Maker will not make ice
Whirlpool ice maker problems
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:07:15 PM by AJ »
Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline Repair_man

• VIP Member
What happened to the video?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Being this topic is from August 02, 2007 I don't really know what happen to the video.

I'm thinking it was one of the first videos I ever did and it was stored on the first server we ever had.
It probably got lost when we upgrading to a different server and/or when we started using youtube for videos.

http://www.youtube.com/appliancejunk

Maybe the video is on youtube now, not sure.

Well viewing some old topics myself I notice some youtube video's that were posted from other channels that no longer work either because they have been removed from Youtube. Not much I can do about that though.
Follow us on Google+

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
I thought the connection points T & M is what turns on the harvest motor.

T & H does what?

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Test points T & H will verify if the bimetal thermostat is open or closed. Short T & H with an insulated piece of wire (14 ga.) to run the motor.

http://icemakerhelp.com/control-module/
Follow us on Google+

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Thanks!!!  I've doing this all wrong for the last 15 years.  Gee!!! The wonders of the internet.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline charlenemhj

• VIP Member
This sounds like what is wrong with our ice maker.  How can I view the video?
Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
This sounds like what is wrong with our ice maker.  How can I view the video?
Thanks

As asked before...

What happened to the video?

Still the same answer as before...

Being this topic is from August 02, 2007 I don't really know what happen to the video.

I'm thinking it was one of the first videos I ever did and it was stored on the first server we ever had.
It probably got lost when we upgrading to a different server and/or when we started using youtube for videos.

http://www.youtube.com/appliancejunk

Maybe the video is on youtube now, not sure.

Well viewing some old topics myself I notice some youtube video's that were posted from other channels that no longer work either because they have been removed from Youtube. Not much I can do about that though.

Follow us on Google+

Offline charlenemhj

• VIP Member
How can you use a tv remote etc. to check the optic sensor since I can't see the video?
Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
charlenemhj, from what I recall the video showed how you could use a digital camera to "see" the infrared light as you can not directly see the IR light with the naked eye. The IR light is different then the red LED you maybe able to see.

If you need more help please start a new topic. Be sure to include the model number of your refrigerator and a description of what's wrong with your ice maker.
Follow us on Google+

Offline charlenemhj

• VIP Member
Thank you, I will do that.

Video: See if your Whirlpool Ice maker infrared optics control is working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 40498
Last post August 01, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
by AJ
Video: Testing - Connect and disconnect a push-in ice maker water fill valve

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 16546
Last post July 30, 2007, 05:53:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool In-Door Ice Maker Fill Cycle