Author Topic: Kenmore 70 series Elecric Dryer...cuts off  (Read 6308 times)

Offline lalakelley

• VIP Member
Kenmore 70 series Elecric Dryer...cuts off
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »
I have a Kenmore 70 series electric dryer. I've only had it about 3 years and last night it decided it didn't want to work anymore :-\. I had just put a load in and it made a really weird noise when I hit the start button, it started after holding it down, but only ran for about 3 minutes. So I hollered at my husband, he tried...same thing. So we took off the back and cleaned all the lint out. Disconnected and reconnected the power cord. Nothing changed. Any ideas what it could be?! My husband swears it is the motor, i just want to be sure before we spend $$ on it!  :)

Model 110.64742400
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:36:06 AM by lalakelley »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore 70 series Elecric Dryer...cuts off
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »
If you press the button and hear a AAAAAAAANK! thats a bad motor.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:43:59 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline lalakelley

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »
That is exactly what my husband and all the other online forums I have read, have said  :-\ I already had one pulled at Sears so we shall try it tonight to see. Hopefully, Thank you though, I did want some advice before I spent $100 on a part, that might not be needed. Thanks again. I'll let you know if that is the fix :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
Well long as ya have to,why not try and brang that motor back to life?
Here are some tips to try. !st tip: the blower wheel screws off backwards(left handed threads)The easiest way to get it off:tip #2: Take some vice grips and lock down the shaft near the belt. Take a small hammer and insert the handle in between two of the bloower fins.Smack down hard with the palm of your hands and the blower will come right loose.. Remember backwards threads on this blower! Remove the clips and unplug the harness and lift that motor out. Put the motor on the bench and do a few tests.Turn the motor by hand,is it stiff?Does it have play in either end? Does it smell burnt? Next notice on either end of the motor is some sealed bearings. Their are no oil holes. Lets make some! take a cordless drill and a one eighth inch bit and make a  hole on each side exposing the cotton but not hitting the drive shaft! Fill the oil wells with oil(no wd40) zoom oil or 3n1 or 30w motor oil. Work the beaings loose using your hands till it turns real free. Oil the rollers and idler and re-install the motor.This does 2 thangs, Gives ya practice changing the motor and it just might work a little while longer.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline lalakelley

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »
Well...I didn't see that second post till now(after I purchased the motor, which is nonrefundable)...but, we did ALMOST get the motor out last night, I watched a video online yesterday, which is how I heard about this site, that showed how to do it. So we watched the video a few times and set to it. We had the hardest time in the world getting the 2 clamps off from around the motor, but after 2 hours we finally did it. We are now stuck on the blower wheel...I know you have to get it disconnected from the motor to pull the motor all the way out..HAHAHAHAHA. I swear this is IMPOSSIBLE, we worked on this for literally 3 hours last night wedging stuff here and there and all sorts of stuff, that thing is STUCK. We have actually stripped the square part of it, its not square anymore, now it is round...My husband is going to go today and get 2 new clamps and a new blower wheel. Unless you can give me some good tips on how to get it out. I read the one you had already but we have tried similar stuff already. Using all sorts of tools, we at one point had out a cresent wrench, vice grips, and a few other tools. We tried with the square thing at first, then went to taking the back off and holding the fan, then wedging the front and turning the fan, then wedging the fan and turning the front...none of which we had any success with. I called a tech today and have an appointment for tommorow, that is if we dont figure it out tonight. Right now we are planning on breaking it off and replacing the motor, blower wheel and both clamps on the motor. Any ideas?! We are really stuck on this one. My husband has done work with switching out motors before just not on dryers...normally it was on dishwashers?!?!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
Hi,

The blower wheel has left handed threads.
Sometime though they just refuse to come off unless you get the big hammer. :)

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline lalakelley

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
We knew about the backward threads and have tried and tried and tried...I will tell him to get out a hammer tonight :) Even with the square part stripped, would it be possible to use the same blower wheel again or do we need a new one? So with the hammer I wedge what where and pull what and push what?!?!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »
Even with the square part stripped, would it be possible to use the same blower wheel again

If just the outside of the square is stripped and the threads inside are ok you can use it again.

As for using the hammer, I take the back off the dryer and the lint screen housing so you can see the blower.
Then I give it one big blow in the center with the hammer and bust the platic blower wheel all to pieces.

Offline lalakelley

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »
Sounds like a plan I'm sure my husband will have loads of fun doing that, with all the anger he has towards that dryer right now, LOL ;D

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »
Sounds like a plan I'm sure my husband will have loads of fun doing that, with all the anger he has towards that dryer right now, LOL ;D

Yep, once you get to that point it feels good to take the hammer to it.  O0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
Their is one more thang you can try. I have this great BIG pipe wrench. I hook it snug over the drive pulley and let the handle rest against the wall or floor. I stick my regular size hammer handle into the 3 oclock position snug between two of the fins and hold firm against it with my left hand . with my right hand I then grab my big rubber mallet and Slam the handle with downward force. If it does not pop loose it will shatter. remember to try and have as much fun as you can but be careful. LOL :tickedoff: :2funny: O0 If all else fails try a bigger hammer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:01:39 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline lalakelley

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:59:31 AM »
I am HAPPY :D to report, the hammer worked GREAT!!! We took it to the blower wheel and it came off almost immediatly. We replaced it and the motor and the dryer is working better than before it went kaput!!!! 8) THANK YOU all SOOO much for all your help!!! O0 :2funny: :)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »
That's great!
Glad to hear you got it working.  O0

Thanks for the update...

Kenmore 70 series electric dryer...wont heat

Started by lalakelley