Author Topic: Older Kenmore washer - tub bottom gasket replacement - help needed.  (Read 5254 times)

Offline colohigh

• VIP Member
Hi - we have an older Sears Kenmore washer (model 110.92574800)that is still in really good shape but it has started leaking water from the gasket area in the bottom of the tub. I can order a replacement gasket (part no. 383727) and try and replace the gasket myself but don't really know how much work it is to do that. I'm looking for a repair manual or something/someone that explains the procedure. Any suggestion you may provide will be helpful.

Thanks, Karen

Model 110.92574800

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline colohigh

• VIP Member
Re: Older Kenmore washer - tub bottom gasket replacement - help needed.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
JWWebster
I sure appreciate the quick reply and we understand the instructions in the manual link but we still would like to know more specifically about how to replace the rubber gasket in the bottom of the tub. Once the tub is removed can the gasket then be replaced and how?

Thank you!
Karen

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »
Pour alcohol on the rubber so it will soften. Place the rubber on the tub while the alcohol has it softened. Get the old one out the same way. Yeah the whole shebang has to be took apart. I ain't been that deep into one but my buddy Nate Jones has done one or 2. That's a rare thing to have to swap out. How do you know the leak is there?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline colohigh

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
We can see the water dripping from the rubber gasket area on the bottom of the tub. We took the machine cover off and could just see into the gasket area by lying on the floor with a flashlite. So this is what makes us believe it is the gasket. It doesn't start dripping until the tub is about full with water. We hope our guessing that it is the gasket is correct because we are ordering one. If its something else I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it. We actually have no idea what we are doing but my husband is very mechanically incline and likes to try and fix things himself unless it get over his head.
We certainly appreciate your comments and guidance.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:39:59 PM »
The hardest part is removing the inner tub nut, get that off and the inner tub out and it is clear sailing then. If anybody has replaced a center post gasket and knows a trick I would appreciate yalls input.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
If the leak does not begin until the tub is quite full, the tub gasket may not be the only thing involved here. There is also a gasket which is under the drive block of the agitator, built into the top of the basket drive tube. The agitator shaft slides up into this seal when the transmission is installed. If replacing the lower gasket on your tub does not solve the problem, the basket drive (brake tube) must also be replaced. Depending on what kind of water penetration the transmission has suffered during all of this, you may want to consider a new machine after all.

Basket Drive Tube Kit-
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:18:36 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Frigidiare Kenmore Front Load Washer Inner Tub & Tub Bearing Replacement.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 7421
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:56:05 AM
by BrntToast
LG Tromm Washer Gasket Replacement

Started by jw1976

Replies: 12
Views: 13727
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:45:56 PM
by tgoods
LG Tromm Washer Gasket Replacement