Author Topic: GE Side By Side - Howling Noise and Dispenser Malfunction  (Read 4486 times)

Offline freshfrozen

• VIP Member
GE Side By Side - Howling Noise and Dispenser Malfunction
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
I noticed a month or so ago that there was an intermittent Howling Noise coming from the Fridge.  Everything since then has been working fine and no other symptoms.

Until...

Today when I went to use the Water / Ice Dispenser it wasn't working.

When I push on the Dispenser I hear 2 short clicks, the selector led blinks off and a number Zero flashes once quickly on the Freezer Temp display.

I can change the selector between water / cubed / crushed successfully, but when I press on "light" it has the same symptoms as above when I was pushing on the dispenser.

The "Lock" works fine.  I can display and adjust the freezer / fridge temps ok.  I emptied the entire ice tray and it is able to make ice ok even though it won't dispense any.

It's hard to imagine that this would be do to the exterior light bulb burning out.  I would think that the mechanism would still work, just in the dark.  Almost seems like some glitchy motherboard problem.  I would hope that this would be covered under warranty.  This unit is from May 2007 though...

Am I going crazy or has anyone seen or heard of something like this before?

Appreciate any replies.  Thanks!

Model GSS25QSTB SS

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: GE Side By Side - Howling Noise and Dispenser Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:21:52 PM »
Interface asm, just got home and brain is not working great but sounds like your asm is not working right.I will check a wireing diagram.Cann't find one right now on this model.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:16 AM »
Are you sure it was a simple case of a light bulb burning out in the first place?
Here'sthe manual for this series:

GE GSS Models

I agree it is the interface board on the freezer door, shown below. The part number is WR55X10859 .

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:23:46 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline freshfrozen

• VIP Member
Update -- GE Side By Side - Howling Noise and Dispenser Malfunction
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »
Update:

Thank you for your feedback.

I removed the light bulb and it is still glitchy but the water now works.  The Ice Dispensing still is malfunctioning where when you hit the paddle when ice is selected and then and shows zero after a couple clicks (sometimes requiring a reset to get any part of it working again)

I called GE and made an appointment for next week to check it out.  Since the model is from June 2007, I hope they don't hose me -- the interface dispenser asm should not fail in that time and it is a $66.42 part online.

Also mentioned the howling noise issue to the customer service -- not sure if that has anything to do with creating a potential moisture issue of why the interface doesn't work.

They are saying $99 diagnostic fee that is then waived in exchange for parts and labor if they do the repair (whatever they determine those numbers to be, which worries me).  Do  the electronics count as part of the sealed refrigerating system or is that just the physical cooling system and parts?

Offline freshfrozen

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »
The GE guys are here now and they say it's not the Interface ASM but the control board which regulates the power - a $400 + repair?

Does this makes sense?  WOW....

Offline freshfrozen

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
What a shakedown...

They quoted over $200 for a part online that is only $109.99

I called up customer service and they are going to cover the cost of the part, so I will only have to pay the $175 in Labor.  Seems like a fair deal for something that shouldn't fail...

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »
 There's a profit being made on the $109.99 part and then GE wants to gouge another $90.00 or more out of you, plus $175.00 labor. That should be a crime punishable by a good old fashion back alley beating.

Offline freshfrozen

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
So after all that - changing out the main board in the back of the fridge did NOTHING!

They made another appointment so they can order the Interface ASM and replace it like you guys said!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »
Arrrrgh...save the money and replace it yerself. I provided the manual for you above...don't tell me it's too technical to snap a cover off?!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:01:47 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline freshfrozen

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
Update 2:

The GE Tech came today and after replacing the Interface ASM it had the same flickering symptoms.  The light at least turned on sometimes whereas it didn't  before, but pressing the light button still sometimes made the display flicker "zero" with nothing else happening. 

He said the part is covered for 30 days and at least it is dispensing so you can call us back and I was like wait -- it's having problems right in front of us -- and one time even flickering and not dispensing water when hitting the paddle...

He waited until the symptoms happened a few more times then thought of something else to try and removed the bottom panel under the fridge doors to check the connections.  He found a corroded connector, removed it and spliced the 2 sets of wires together.

He said that this should fix the problem and it is covered for 30 days if there are any issues.  I tried going through the motions with the water, ice, light, etc. to double-check and noticed that at times it wasn't dispensing at all, just made a click sound without engaging the ice or water dispenser.  He was all ready to ring me up and go home and couldn't believe that it was doing that.  I had him wait before running my ccard because I was not going to pay the labor for an incomplete repair.  It happened again and he couldn't get it to start dispensing water even.

He said that there is probably a wiring issue in the fridge and that there is nothing more he can do.  He said customer relations would contact me in 24-48 hours, but that they would probably not replace the fridge because it is out of warranty. 

So now I am left with a fridge that after GE's tinkering is less capable then before. I cannot even get it to dispense water -- prior to this latest repair water was working at least by keeping the light bulb removed.

He just called back now and said that he is going to recommend to customer relations that they try installing a new door and see if that addresses the wiring defects, but that he won't know if customer relations will approve it until they get back to me in 24-48 hours.

Have any of you heard of something like this before?

Offline freshfrozen

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »
Update 3:

It's been over 24-48 Hours with no status feedback so I called back Customer Relations.  I did receive a call from a 3rd party company last night asking me to complete a survey about the case which I thought was odd because the repair was not finished and in fact the fridge was less functional than before the repair.

The rep that I spoke to said that the technician had closed out the ticket as "completed".  She needs to contact the technician to see if he needs to come out again for additional troubleshooting or recommends ordering the replacement door and will get back to me in another 24-48 hours.

A New Look for the Whirlpool (and Kitchenaid) Side by Side Dispenser

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1901
Last post July 23, 2008, 07:23:39 AM
by TechnicianBrian
KitchenAid Side by SIde Ice Dispenser issues and water

Started by santarosa

Replies: 6
Views: 6290
Last post October 23, 2008, 03:22:29 PM
by santarosa