Forum > Dishwasher Repair

Pumps in American Dishwashers

<< < (2/3) > >>

JWWebster:
I hate dish washers and avoid them like the plague. The 2 best sellers are the whirlpool drop in motor and pump and the Ge drop in motor and pump. In these units you yank out the motor and pump and replace em. Nothing to it. 2 pump DWs
 I don't know from. I have manuals but like I said, if you are rich enough to own a dw you gonna chunk it and buy another cheap one or swap the motor and pump and avoid electronics. I am old school though. Anybody else can chime in anytime.

Dave from dyer:

--- Quote from: JWWebster on December 11, 2009, 09:26:53 AM ---I hate dish washers and avoid them like the plague. The 2 best sellers are the whirlpool drop in motor and pump and the Ge drop in motor and pump. In these units you yank out the motor and pump and replace em. Nothing to it. 2 pump DWs
 I don't know from. I have manuals but like I said, if you are rich enough to own a dw you gonna chunk it and buy another cheap one or swap the motor and pump and avoid electronics. I am old school though. Anybody else can chime in anytime.

--- End quote ---

Well...
I have a 299 dollar whirlpool and I am hardly "rich". I would estimate about 90% of my customers have a dishwasher. And if you spent $1900 on a Miele, even if you were rich you would get it fixed.
Most all unit have electronics now because of energy star ratings and most have a separate pump for drain, the bidirectional units use more energy. I would estimate 75% of dishwashers now have a separate drain pump.  Just a guess. I have been fixing them for over 20 years and rather enjoy it.
They are getting junkier though, and even the expensive ones break, and often,  hence my $299 Lowe's special.     Just my 2 cents.
Dave

Juan:
Thats perfect!

Do you know which of the two pumps breaks down more often?Out of 10 dishwashers you repair how many are due to the drain pump and how many to the wash pump?

Which are repaired more often?1 pump or 2 pumps dishwashers?

Thank you!!

Dave from dyer:
It really depends on the brand, however, I myself rarely replace a separate-type drain pump in any dishwasher, other guys I talk to say they replace alot. Our water is really, really good here (Lake Michigan) and that may be a factor, I think. Most problems with motors are wash motors.

Dave

sapp4l:
Juan:
I am hardly an expert, but I've had (and serviced) both a 1 pump GE model (cirica 1993) and a much newer Frigidaire (aka Electrolux --  European company) with 2 pumps. The newer model was not 'top of the line' -- I think cost was like $350 to $400. The design is quite simple with 2 pumps, and avoids solenoids and flaps that the GE model had. I had to replace the expensive pump/motor assembly on the GE (about $120 as I recall) due to a motor failure. I did have to unstick an impeller on the Frigidaire (the drain pump, not the wash pump) as a piece of glass was caught in the impeller -- but didn't break the pump (cheap fix -- just my labor -- and I'm cheap).

I don't know share of market for the 2 designs, but looking at the parts, I don't think the 2 pump is more expensive than the 1 pump. The cost of a small pump motor isn't a lot, and simplifies the mechanicals a lot.

I don't know who else uses the different design approaches -- if you knew this, you could probably infer market share as most of the models share most of the basic wash components among the product family.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version