Author Topic: Noisy Washer  (Read 2787 times)

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
Noisy Washer
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:05:43 PM »
I am asking this for my Aunt, she has a new Kenmore 400 top load washer. She got this 7 or 8 months ago and she said it wasn't leveled. I was there yesterday and she asked me if I would get her level and check it for her. I did and it was fine and seemed firm on the floor. I turned it to spin and it didn't vibrate. I let it spin until the timer went to off, then it sounds like it is flying apart. I opened it and the tub was still spinning but the agitator was not moving. I thought the agitator always spins with the tub? That noise at the end of the spin cycle is what she has been hearing(believe me you can't help but hear it-LOUD) and she was thinking it was not level. What could be wrong with it? Sorry I did not get a model #,other than 400, but I figure all these Kenmore direct drive are the same mechanics.? What does this sound like to you?

Model Kenmore 400

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Noisy Washer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »
Sounds like a sheared drive block under the top of the tub nut.
The notches where the basket drive are located can become worn, not stopping the basket when the brake goers on.
Basket Drive Block Part # 389140

Tell Auntie not to wash heavy comforters in this machine.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:16:37 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:03:19 PM »
Also check the back side of the washer to make sure the yellow shipping strap was removed.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:02:24 AM »
She has Sears coming next week. It is still in warranty so that way she will not have to pay.
She doesn't do big loads. It is just her, in her 80's so she doesn't have many to wash each week,2 or 3 loads at the most and they aren't full.
She did say she doesn't like this washer as well as her old one BUT her old one was a 30 something year old Maytag that never gave trouble until the timer went out and she was told they didn't make a replacement part for it anymore, so she ended up with this one.

This Kenmore didn't hold up to well seeing it just does few loads weekly.
What if a family had this with kids and washing lots of towels and jeans. Are the higher price Kenmores built better than this 400 model? I figured they all used the same parts??

Are the new Maytag machines stronger/built better? I know they advertise they have a commercial transmission and spin gear and synthetic oil for twice the life. Are they really built better than KM or WP machines or are they identical except for advertising??

Oh yea, the yellow strap was pulled. The rear legs will drop/adjust when you lift the machine and you can wobble the tub around with your hand.

Thanks for the help.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:32:41 AM »
Since the strap was pulled Repairman was right. Again.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:35:43 AM »
Sorry if I tend to do that from time to time. If you ask my wife, I'm never right :)

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »
I talked to my Aunt today and she said Sears came and fixed her washer today. She said that he started it and let it spin, then stopped it and heard all the noise and said that it wasn't supposed to do that, that the tub should stop quick instead of all that noise and still spinning. She said he took the agitator out and worked on it from the top, but she went out and didn't know what all he did. She said he told her there was a spring broke and he replaced it. The warranty covered it but he did leave her a copy of the bill and it was $386.00.

She told him it sure was a noisy washer and he agreed but said that was just the way they are...so maybe it will be fine now.

Thank you all.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:30:45 AM »
Let me guess...the $386 bill was just an intimidation technique to sell your aunt a service contract...

I hate to tell you, but a broken spring does not cause the problem she had (unless a clutch spring) and no spring in this dimension costs $386 to repair, even in Beverly Hills. She should have had the Laundry Cam  running to catch his so-called 'repair' so we could all enjoy it on YouTube today.

All in all, glad she is washing clothes once again, but for how long?

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »
I have just died laughing when I read your post because YES he did ask her about getting the service contract for $70 something dollars a year and she said well she would think about it and he told her to not wait too long cause the price would increase.

She used it today and said that it runs quieter now than it has since she has had it. Wonder why?? She said even agitating it sounded better.

I wondered about that spring also, but I am not too familiar with what all is down under there . I did think that was awfully expensive but since she is older maybe he just said spring instead of trying to explain what it really was? Who knows.

Thanks again.

Maytag Washer Model mav7600aww, noisy

Started by dex

Replies: 1
Views: 4034
Last post October 31, 2007, 05:50:56 PM
by rickgburton
Frigidaire Washer - Noisy During Drain Cycle.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3021
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:54:12 PM
by AJ
Maytag Washer Noisy During Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1541
Last post April 24, 2008, 10:14:55 PM
by TechnicianBrian
GE Washer Leaking & Noisy