Forum > Washer Repair

GE Profile Washer -- Motor not turning-- No Spin

(1/2) > >>

Bobby D:
My washer is not spinning.  It does pump out water, but the motor is not turning on.  I bypassed the mag. switch and took off the motor drive belt ( to rule out the trans, etc.), when I put it on spin cycle power is going to the motor but it is not turning.  Motor spins free by hand and has NO smell (as if it burnt out).
How do I know if the problem is the motor, the cycle switch, or the computer board.  Can I hook the motor to 120V somehow to make sure it works?  Not sure which wires on the motor are for what.  Thanks for all help in advance. ;)

Motor # 5kh61kw2516hs

Model wpse4200a0ww

JWWebster:
Here is fearless leaders excellent GE washer tutorial:

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads

Bobby D:
Thanks for the info JW!

I went through everything and found when I spin the timer back and forth really quick and then stop at spin cycle the motor turns for a short amount of time then it clicks.  Can anyone tell me which terminals on the motor I can energize (120V)  to see if the problem is the motor?  If I rule out the motor is the problem the computer.  We need to do the laundry here!  Thanks

Repair-man:
Here's how to check the motor:

To remove the front panel-

1. Locate the two (hidden) spring clips between the top cover and front panel– look in that seam with a flashlight, you’ll seem ‘em. Or you can feel them with your putty knife.

2. Insert your putty knife and push forward on the clips to release ‘em.

3. The front panel will tilt out toward you and lift off the two hooks at the bottom.

There’s an LED on the board that will flash the error code. The location of the LED and its mystical flash code interpretation are shown below.

If the LED is flashing an error code, first thing to try is resetting the inverter board:

To Reset the Inverter Board: Push the timer knob in so the washer is idle. Unplug the machine for one minute. Plug back in and raise and lower the lid six times within 12 seconds.

After resetting the inverter board, put the machine in a spin cycle and see if it runs. If not, check for a green blinking light on the inverter board. It will flash failure codes according to the picture above. If no light you probably have a blown fuse built into the neutral side of the harness on the white/red wire.

GE Motor and Clutch Kit, 2 Speed, part number: WH49X10035

JWWebster:
EXCELLENT  O0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version