Author Topic: help removing impeller from dishwasher  (Read 2534 times)

Offline gistofit22

• VIP Member
help removing impeller from dishwasher
« on: November 19, 2009, 07:59:26 AM »
Hello I have a whirlpool dishwasher Model DU910PWKQ0 ("Quiet Partner I") which won't pump the water out very well. It does pump it out, but very slowly like it's plugged up. I checked the hose and the check valve and both are clear. I'm attempting to remove the impeller from the top but the screw will not come out. I have held the plastic part with channel lock pliers and used a socket screw and vice grip to try and unscrew it but all it does is turn as if it's turning the motor and not unscrewing. Does anyone have ideas how to get it out? I have a feeling it must be plugged up inside there. I have a part kit to replace it if it's no good, but first need to get it apart! Thanks for any advice!

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: help removing impeller from dishwasher
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »
Before you go any further you should inspect the check valve. It is where the drain hose attaches and can be removed by grabbing it with plyers and turning counter clockwise. This is the most common place for a plug on these.

Offline gistofit22

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:43:28 PM »
Hi, I checked that already. When I took the hose off of it, the water sprayed out and then drained the rest of the way out all over the floor! So it couldn't be plugged up I wouldn't think, right?

Before you go any further you should inspect the check valve. It is where the drain hose attaches and can be removed by grabbing it with plyers and turning counter clockwise. This is the most common place for a plug on these.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »
If it's partially blocked it would still let water out. I would check it and where the hose hooks up to the drain.

Offline gistofit22

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:43:54 AM »
Ok, I removed the check valve completely and it is clear on both ends. The drain hose is completely removed at it's clear. I never had it hooked to the drain. I was lazy when I put this thing in and just slung the drain hose over the sink. It was one of those I'll-get-to-it -later deals ;). So I guess I take the motor off the bottom? Because I can't get anything apart from the top.

If it's partially blocked it would still let water out. I would check it and where the hose hooks up to the drain.

Offline gistofit22

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
Well the motor won't come off the bottom either so I guess I'm stuck!   ???

Offline Cessna

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:29:34 PM »
Hello,
 If your unit is like any Whirlpool dishwasher that I have repaired. the complete pump assembly is removed from inside the dishwasher. If the hose and wiring has been disconnected and the four square rubber
locks have been turned in toward the centre of the pump then you should be able to lift the unit up and out. Sometimes the rubber sealing to tub ring will stick to the tub and you have to be a bit aggressive on the lifting. Occasionaly I have had to pry gently up on the pump assembly from the bottom.
 Best regards,
 Gord Hobson

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »
Right on Gordo!
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

675806 Whirlpool Dishwasher Drain & Wash Impeller Kit

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4283
Last post April 07, 2009, 03:25:45 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 6823
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool dishwasher manual

Started by naes

Replies: 15
Views: 17620
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher - Check for foreign objects in food chopper.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 20465
Last post August 08, 2007, 12:43:21 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 12654
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Dead whirlpool dishwasher