Author Topic: Atlantis squeak on end of spin cycle  (Read 2993 times)

Offline sdjjwilliams

• VIP Member
Atlantis squeak on end of spin cycle
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:39:34 AM »
Any ideas on loud squeak-type noise at the end of the spin cycle?

TIA,
Scott

Model MAV6200

Offline sdjjwilliams

• VIP Member
Re: Atlantis squeak on end of spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »
Just to add to this, all seems to work (agitation and drain) except spin.  I downloaded the service manual and did the 3.5 pound weight test, but it still did not spin.  I am thinking brake or clutch.

Any good tips?

Scott

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »
http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1042142&PPStack=1

The link above is to a part i think may be your problem however do this test first:
Lay the washer on its side. Remove the belt and turn the main drive pulley one way and the drum shoiud be stationary and it should agitate,
turn it the opposite way and the tub should spin. If it does not then you might need this Thrust bearing kit. While you are at it turn the pump pully and make sure it aint locked up. all of this is under the machine and needs no tools whatsoever to test. Let me know.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sdjjwilliams

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:12:54 AM »
Ok, thanks for the reply.  The agitator does spin on the one direction.

In the other direction, I see the lower cam move the brake rotor up, the shaft moves, but the tub does not move.  The pulley moves freely, no binding.

Pump moves feely as well.

Thanks for your help.  Scott

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:10:38 AM »
your gonna need that thrust bearing kit.

Here are some tips: Pay CLOSE attention to how each washer clip and piece comes off, keep them in order.

The brake spring will make everthing fly off the end of the tranny when you remove the keeper so use a framing claw(Carpenters tool) It does not have a hammer head on it and it is curved and will fit nicely in between that main pully.Use the claw to compress the brake so the clip and pully will all come off nice nice. REMEMBER to keep the parts in order. The kit will come with a modified aftermarket thrust bearing to replace the old style needle bearing. go ahead and start replacing all the
new parts in the kit(it will have a parts breadown with it) When you get to where you need to replace the clip you will need to use the claw to gently compress the spring and slip the clip on. NOTE all this can be done on back of a pickup truck tailgate with the washer laying on its side. I have an appliance lift which I use. Once you have it back together turn the pully to make sure it releases the brake at the correct mark on the cam. If it doesn't you must remove a washer or add a washer. Since you have maybe never done this before you may have to attemt it a few times till it gets right or you may just get it right the first time since I gave ya some secrets. Remember turn it one way and the tub spins freely the other way the tub locks and she agitates. You can do it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:16:24 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sdjjwilliams

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »
Great!  Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll post back when I'm done.

Scott

maytag Atlantis washer timer switch doesn't activate spin cycle

Started by helpme805

Replies: 6
Views: 8108
Last post July 30, 2011, 08:35:12 PM
by AJ
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 3714
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
Kenmore frontloader 417.42142100 shaking when in spin cycle

Started by candoan

Replies: 3
Views: 4469
Last post January 28, 2008, 06:04:40 AM
by candoan
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 5193
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag Spin Cycle

Started by Camarocam

Replies: 1
Views: 4192
Last post February 19, 2008, 11:07:58 AM
by AJ
Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle