Author Topic: Kenmore Electric Dryer - Quits in mid-cycle  (Read 4922 times)

Offline GaryGG

• VIP Member
Kenmore Electric Dryer - Quits in mid-cycle
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
The dryer quits in mid-cycle, but will restart immediately if start button is pressed.  Seems to be heat related since it happens more often in higher heat settings.  I have cleaned out the outlet duct, the lint screen and what I can reach in the duct near the screen.  Haven't found and excessive amount of lint.  The machine has a "moisture sensing" feature, but we usually use the "Timed Dry" settings.  It often stops with 15 or 20 minutes left.

There are two shiny bars inside near the lint screen.  Are the the moisture sensors?  Would they be involved in Timed Dry?

What are the likely causes?   Thanks!

Model 110.60942990

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore Electric Dryer - Quits in mid-cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:41:02 AM »
the clothes rub up against those 2 shiney metal sensors in the dryer. As long as dampness is present the timer will stay put. When no more moisture is detected the timer motor will move forward and shut down the dryer. If you say the dryer is quiting after about 20 minutes I would say that you need to reach inside the dryer and turn the tumbler. It is hard to turn? If so you may need to take the dryer apart and oil the rollers and Idler. while you have it torn down you may want to turn the motor by hand and see how stiff it is. The bearings may be getting dry and their is no conventional way to oil the motor. Notice I said their is no CONVENTIONAL way,that is their aint no oil holes on this puppy. What to do? Here is another trade secret,Shhh! I take a cordless drill and a 1/8th inch bit and make a hole in the pot metal on either end over the bearings. You will be careful NOT to go too deep and hit the shaft. The cotton inside holds oil, that is, these motors have sleeve/oil lite type bearings. If you look at one of these bearings under a microscope it will have 10,000 tiny little holes. They wrap rotten cotten around the sleeve bearing and fill the cotton with oil. The oil keeps the sleeve bearing wet and turning nice nice. Overtime the oil will dry out and the sleeve will start to wear out. The motor will get stiff and the whole she-bang will come to a screeching halt. Use zoom oil it is high temperature oil made for this. I sometimes can completely free up motors by using another fave product of mine called rust buster. Rust buster will not hurt a motor, it will only revive one if it is not too far gone.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:54:12 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:28:18 AM »
...will restart immediately if start button is pressed...
how long will it run if immediatley restarted ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline GaryGG

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
...will restart immediately if start button is pressed...
how long will it run if immediatley restarted ?

RegUS:  It varies.  Sometimes only a short time.  Other times it continues to the end of the Time Set.  Our memory is vague on one point.  We may have to open and shut the door to restart.  I'll try to note that the next time it happens.
Thanks!
Gary

Offline GaryGG

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
JWWebster:  Thanks for the insider tips!  Would the moisture sensor still come into play in the Timed Dry setting, or just the automatic setting?  The manual implies only on Automatic.
When it stops, if we do nothing the timer continues to advance at its regular pace, even though the dryer is not turning, for what that's worth.
The next time it happens I'll try to turn the tumbler manually.  If I have to get inside, what is the sequence for getting the panels off?  The top seems to be a separate piece and the front consists of two panels.
We will be out of town for a week (without internet access most of the time), so unless it fails today, I'll have to wait a week to do more diagnosis.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »
I llike to refer to these machines as being a lady kenmore. The bottom flap pops open making access to the heating element a breeze. The motor is a piece of cake to replace and cheap too. It feature a quick plug connection so you do not have to be a rocket scientist to rewire the motor. I know you yank out the fliter then remove the filter housing screws. I think you pop the top next and remove two inner screws and unplug the lid switch quick connection.. you may then need to eithe remove 2 lower panel screws or just back them out a hait. Also remove the 2 door springs and the front will then come off. Next reach down and take the Idler loose from the belt and here is a tip Grab the belt at the top and use it sorta like a handle and swing out the tub on this puppy. Be sure to oil the rollers and Idler with some good quality high temp oil like zoomoil.Vacuum out the whole thing and you might find a little money or diamond earings. I found a big fat Gold mens wedding ring in an old dryer that I got off the trash and I sent it to that we buy gold rig online and they sent me $5 . I shoulda went to the dang pawn shop. Anyway If you must replace the motor the blower wheel is a screw on and is left hand threads. I get a vice grip on the shaft of the old motor and I stick a hammer handle in between the blower vanes and pound down hard with the palm of my hand and she pops loose. remember Backwards threads ok? The only thing to do then is to pop the motor clips and remove the motor to replace it. All this of course if you cannot get the old motor to a going again. Be sure to unplug the dryer.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore dryer wont start/quits mid cycle

Started by Jwhite4095

Replies: 3
Views: 3516
Last post May 14, 2009, 07:43:00 AM
by Jwhite4095
Kenmore Electric Dryer - Model F60909644

Started by txgal

Replies: 1
Views: 4325
Last post August 07, 2007, 08:21:33 AM