Author Topic: Replacing Brake  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Dale

• VIP Member
Replacing Brake
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:45:58 PM »
When replacing brake assembly, the brake would not slide over the shaft with the radial bearing in it. Found the cap in the brake assembly to be off center and will not let the shaft pass all the way thru. The brake assembly is about 1/4" from screwing in. Does this mean the brake assembly is bad or does the cap need to be centered up. Also I noticed water coming out of the old brake, what seals need to be replaced and or other parts. First problem was the washer would not spin in the spin cycle but would pump the water.

Model LAT9416AAM

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Replacing Brake
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
Maytag offers a special tool to compress that brake sprang,do you have one?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Dale

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
No, will it center the cap, or can it be tapped into place, or can the tool simply be made. It looks like a bolt with a bushing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:13:13 PM »
this tool slips onto the transmission shaft and it comes with a plastic dome that goes on first it has a fork that slides through and slips into grooves on the shaft. It has a nut that can then be turned and compresses the brake spring. I have one. I gotta tel ya though you have to have that brake or the clothes will all get tangled up in the wash cycle. removing the brake ain't a good move. now get this. some  slim shady lonely repairman which  will remain nameless told me to do this. I ain't making this up
 He said to get identical screws like the ones on there now but LONGER
 tighter the longer ones down to get the shorter ones started. Hay I ran across all sorts repairmens in my lifetime.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Dale

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:35:46 PM »
Can you tell me where I can locate this special compression tool. I would like to see this so I might understand how it would help with this application. Also there isn't any screws in the brake assembly (item#433674), I did see in the service manual under Brake Disassembly where they show these screws, but this has been changed instead they have crimped the edges over in eight places and removed the screws from the part. In the service manual they do not mention this tool when installing the brake assembly. It reads #1 Place redial bearing in top of brake package. #2 Insert brake over drive tube splines. #3 Start threads of brake package into damper turning it by hand. #4 Be sure that tub block is in place keeping tubs level so as to prevent binding on brake package threads. #5 When turning brake package into the damper, allow power unit to turn so that you do not have to overcome the friction of the brake. #6 When treaded tight, use the brake tool and hammer to seat brake package firmly in place. #7 Locate retaining clip and tighten damper bolt securely into damper. Note: Once the brake has been reinstalled, turn the pulley on the shaft until the brake is disengaged. With the brake disengaged, the oil will run into the brake package. Turn the pulley several times to insure proper lubrication.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:30:45 PM »
See just when they have it where I can work on it they go and change it.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
I would like to see this so I might understand how it would help with this application.

I will try and get some photos of one uploaded later today.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 07:50:35 AM »
ok, I should have looked at your model number first.
I was thinking it was a different type of brake.

I have never had one of these styles apart. I have removed them as a assembly, but never took the brake itself apart.

Offline Dale

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
I guess I have not been very clear, I am trying to put the new brake assembly on the shaft, (the new design on the brake assembly is non serviceable) but it will not slide all the way up to the damper where it screws in because the cap in the brake assembly is off center. I am going to try to tap it around to put it on center. The question is should I be concerned that with the cap being off center is there a chance the brake assembly might be bad or is this normal. Also what about the water in the old brake assembly? Are there seals that might need to be replaced? Or other parts that need to be checked? There is no signs of water leaking in the cabinet or on any other parts(on the outside) and no signs of water passing thru the radial bearing that goes in the top of the brake assembly. By the way thanks for all the help! I really appreciate the time you people have taken on this problem.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »
sorry I don't know the answer, but here's the
Maytag Service Manual 1994 - 1997
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Dale

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:09:35 AM »
The brake has been replaced and is working OK. The only problem now is that there is water leaking from the bottom of the tub, I dont know what happened to cause this since I didn't work on anything in this area. Could I have moved something or damaged something. What parts will I need now? Is there more parts that you would recommend be replaced while fixing this leak?

Replacing Seals and Bearings Whirlpool/(Kitchenaid, KAWE678BAL1)

Started by hbaked

Replies: 9
Views: 5008
Last post October 24, 2007, 12:16:19 AM
by rickgburton
Video: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Clutch, Brake Transmission - Gear Case

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 12473
Last post January 26, 2008, 08:15:30 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Replacing Front Load Washer Pump Model#LHW0050PQ