Author Topic: Kenmore starts spinning before the water is drained out  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
Kenmore starts spinning before the water is drained out
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »
Kenmore washers are suppose to drain the water before a pause and then start the spin cycle....
so why do they start spinning sometimes right after the drain pump has started. ???   A few whirlpools do this too,  yep I know whirlpool makes most kenmore washers,   is this a switch, relay,  what ???

I didn't include a model number, because I am asking for a few people that I know,   and about various models........

Thanks for your help !!!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Kenmore starts spinning before the water is drained out
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:31:13 AM »
Kenmore (Whirlpool) washers have 2 different types of transmissions in them now. The one you first referred to, which allows the tub to drain first before spinning is referred to as a "Neutral Drain Transmission".   The newer style you are seeing is a "Direct Spin" transmission...just has a few less internal parts. The thinking behind this was to allow the tub to spin away the dirty water thru the side holes above the clothes, much like the Maytags have always done. This does get the load cleaner, as the dirty water does not have to settle thru the clothes to drain out like it does in neutral drain.

'k?
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
ok I can understand what you said,  however,  maybe I worded this wrong....
the washers that are suppose to drain the water first and then stop, engage the clutch and then start spinning are sometimes starting to spin before the water is gone,    not always doing this but sometimes....
the pump starts in and then a couple secs later it pops and starts to spin,  then after the time is up for draining it stops and then starts spinning again.......

so what I meant was,   when the washer is suppose to drain the water 1st,  and it starts spinning right away is there a relay, switch or something else bad ???     

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »
Ok   so a neutral drain trans that starts spinning too soon,  what causes that ???

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
Take a look at this short manual: There is a spin pawl which engages the main drive gear after the pause. My guess is the spin pawl is locked into the spin position. The original transmissions did not have a neutral drain system. I would not sweat it.
Neutral gearcase repair manual
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:10:10 AM »
Thank you so much for the manuel, that is very interesting,  and helpful,  the only  reason I ask is that a couple of the machines start the pump out, and then about 5 or 10 secs after it starts,  bang,  the gears moves and it starts to spin,   a friend who has a 3 year old kenmore even slashes water out over the tub if it starts to spin before the water is gone,   

thought maybe this was an easy fix but as I see it's not......
thanks for you help........

Kenmore Not Spinning To Drain Water Out

Started by lopcrm7

Replies: 28
Views: 7095
Last post May 30, 2009, 11:42:51 PM
by lopcrm7
Kenmore Elite Top of the Line quit spinning

Started by Bishop

Replies: 11
Views: 7384
Last post September 06, 2007, 05:24:55 PM