Author Topic: Stubborn Problem on GE Monogram  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Contfrk

• VIP Member
Stubborn Problem on GE Monogram
« on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »
To any GE Factory Tech or GE Experienced Tech:

I replaced a filter/dryer on a Monogram Refrig Model Number ZISW36DYA for a 20 in Vacuum. It appeared to work fine when checked immediately, after 3 days...and again after 2 weeks so I never checked again. Three months of absence later customer came back to a non-working refrigerator and calls our shop.

I went out to find the system again in 20 in. Vacuum with Freezer temp at about 57 and refrigerator compartment closer to 78 and suspected another restriction further down the capillary tube. I called GE service help to find out if this refrigerator could have the heat exchanger replaced from the front opening. This unit is built in and through some lousy planning can NOT be removed without major remodeling that would run in the thousands. The tech at GE said the heat exchanger MUST be replaced from rear by pulling unit forward. I explained this to customer and left to await his decision to come.

It's now 2 weeks later and customer sent me a nasty letter berating me for incompetence because he had GE factory service out and they replaced the defrost timer with no defrost necessary. He also claimed that ALL the work on this unit could be done from the front.

I have several questions. 1. How can a bad defrost timer, with no defrost necessary give a reading of 20 in. vacuum on the suction side of this machine? 2. Can ALL the parts of the refrigeration system be replaced from the front opening of this machine? 3. Is it possible that the temperatures could be that high while pressure is 20 in Vacuum and the problem be a faulty Defrost timer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I Have been doing this for 30 years and have NEVER heard of such a combination of High temps, high vacuum caused by a defrost problem. Thanks.

Offline Fridgeguys

• VIP Member
Re: Stubborn Problem on GE Monogram
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:29:12 AM »
Did you look at the evap coil when it was in vac? Did you verify that it was indeed a restricted system? A frosted coil could cause a vacum but, -20 is pretty deep.

Maybe it has a refrigerant leak? what did the refrigerant smell like? Was the oil black?

I would not believe what you are being told with out some kind of verification, paper work from ge
or check the refrigerator.

Refrigeration repair Tucson,AZ

Offline Contfrk

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:49:37 AM »
I verified the vacuum by attempting to add gas which caused NO pressure increase at all. The evap coils I could see through air holes showed absolutely NO frost and using laser temperature tester the coil temp was 68 Deg.

I have paperwork copy from GE tech claiming he replaced defrost timer. I just find that nearly impossible to believe.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »
1 No 2 No 3 No answers to your questions. The defrost control would not cause what you saw.But if there is a leak or unit is not pumping ref thru someone will be going back.I read in a post on here from one of the guys that posts here a lot a very good explanation of what 134 leaks cause.I think they are really a pain.You just cannt seem to get the system cleaned out.

Jenn-Air self cleaning oven problem

Started by ralphthedog

Replies: 6
Views: 10061
Last post December 13, 2007, 08:15:34 PM
by ralphthedog
Maytag Gemini Temp Sensor Problem

Started by csala

Replies: 3
Views: 4937
Last post December 17, 2007, 10:25:04 PM
by AJ