Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Maytag MVWC200XW0 shakes violently when spinning  (Read 226 times)

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
Maytag MVWC200XW0 shakes violently when spinning
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:42:49 PM »
Maytag Centennial Commercial Washer Model MVWC200XW0.  It shakes so violently during spin that the tub is banging against the side of the cabinet.  Otherwise, the machine functions properly.  I checked the suspension rods and all are in place.  I don't see anything else to stabilize the tub during spin.  I'm guessing that the springs on the suspension rods are weak but can't figure out how to tell if they are bad.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Joey.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag MVWC200XW0 shakes violently when spinning
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:04:16 PM »
They are just bad, lol.  You would have to purchase spring tension, strain gauge test equipment and know the specification from the manufacture to tell if one is bad or good.  So we just call them bad and buy all four for our customers.

I tell customers in 3-5 years they will be bad again.  So save money in a piggy bank, you'll need a lid switch and mode shifter as well, along with suspension rods.
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:25:49 AM »
Push down firmly in the center of the tub...either the agitator or wash plate...then release quickly. The tub should come up and stop without bouncing. Another way to check is to put in spin with no cloths. If it shakes then suspension is bad. It's not the springs but the dampeners that are integrated into the suspension. Not too hard to change.

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:53:20 AM »
I'll replace the suspension rods.  Thanks for the info.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »
Brother Balwin, I have had the unit do fine pass the empty tub spin test.  But under a load they went crazy.  I was thinking like most
IT Spins great with out a load
so is there some thing else ??? ???..
 It always came back to these rods.  I have had these units pass the auto test, manual spin test and then I have ran the unit full cycle.

It would spin great in first drain cycle, but in final spin start roaring and grinding.  And I never found the source

bearing? Felt good, cold but heat may have caused it to start a grind, and it got worse the longer it ran

clutch splutch was good? but may have worked loose by spacing, I even tried some shims

MY point is it passed the spin test, and I was like wonderful great.. but the call back was not.  Under load it started acting ugly again.

They are a beast and have little Gremlins that don't SHow themselves  when the Tech is there troubleshooting.

Some are easy in and out repairs, but beware some have the Beast..lol  and I've been bit.. OUCH.
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Maytag washer tub shakes violently

Started by Washaman

Replies: 31
Views: 17050
Last post April 03, 2010, 08:32:18 AM
by AJ
Maytag performa spinning out!

Started by lowhook

Replies: 39
Views: 24954
Last post July 07, 2009, 11:13:44 PM
by JWWebster