Author Topic: soap dispenser will not open, soap in dispenser, dished dirtier than before  (Read 9211 times)

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
Frigidaire PLD2855RFC1 Dishwasher - The soap dispenser door will not complete open up until I open the front dishwasher door after it runs.  But that maybe only an imagined problem as there is always a lot of soap left in or just outside the dispenser.  But my biggest complain is that the dishes are just as dirty and some like glasses are more dirtier than before the dishwasher ran.  I have tried other soaps, liquid, power, ball, cubes all with the same results. Please help :tickedoff:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Looks like your dispenser relies on one of those wax motor thingys to open that door. They are notorious for failure. I would start there.

Check out the pictures on back side the red part is the wax motor
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
I'm not sure on your model dishwasher, but I know if it was a whirlpool there are a couple other things I would check first.

1. Make sure nothing is blocking the soap door keeping it from opening.

I have even seen on some dishwasher were the bottom rack will get removed and then put back in flipped around so the back of the rack is now in front. This can block the door from opening.

2. Make sure your dishwasher is getting enough water.

A lot of soap doors only open part way and then the door leans on the dishwasher rack. The soap door is then used as a shield and when the water hits the soap door it helps direct water into the soap dish to rinse it out.

If your dishwasher does not fill up with enough water then is simply does not get the soap dish rinsed out.

After the dishwasher starts washing open the door and check the water level.
It should be just under the heating element. Almost touching the bottom or touching the bottom of the heating element.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
If you are sure them two things are ok then I would go ahead and replace it as JW said. :)

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
I am going to see if it could be something as silly as the rack being backwards, stopping the soap door from opening.  I took her apart last night and see the red "wax motor" or solenoids.  I may remove the fancy outside cover and watch the wax motors in action.  The filters had a lot of food and grease in them, which I guess has been caused by the lack of soap being able to do its job.  I ran an rinse cycle to clean out residue and there was still dirty/grease water in the pump area under the glass filter. I thought the soil sensor should run water and the pump until it think the water is clean?

I will try a few more ideas before replacing the dispenser.  What is good to clean the baked on soap in the dispenser cup and its door latch.  I am worried that the opening issue is due to baked on soap.  Thanks

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
Did a run with the pots and pan setting and all was good.  Not sure if it will hold and I was not looking to run that cycle unless I have pots and pans in there and I never put them in the dishwasher.  It complains and gives the heating water HO signal even when I use the Normal setting.  I tested the hot water at the sink and I cannot remember the temp, but it was above 120.  I guess that it also heats the water if the temp drops below 120 after it has been in the dishwasher for a little while.

Btw, other than high water temp and maybe another rinse cycle,what is the pots and pans setting as I have not found or done any fixing and it is working fine?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Do the water volume test...place a glass in the top rack standing up, not in the usual position. Place it in the left front quadrant of the rack, then start a cycle. When the cycle is over, the glass should be at least half full. If not, you have inadequate water going to the dishwasher, most likely needing a new inlet valve.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Or pump impeller.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
Sorry about post in two places, but I was making sure that a soap related question did not get over looked due to a frigidaire question.

When you say, run a cycle does that mean any cycle even the rinse cycle?  Thanks

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help

When you say, run a cycle does that mean any cycle even the rinse cycle?  Thanks

Uh, only if you wash your dishes in the Rinse cycle.

To see how effective the wash cycle is, you must run a Normal wash (no extras, like water heat, etc). If you are hinky about wasting a cycle just for this test, go ahead and load her up and do the test, just keep one glass inverted to catch the water.

The manual for these is available HERE
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:29:42 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
is your machine drained through the floor?
friggy dishwashers cant be drained below floor level, they will start to siphon the water out half way through the wash cycle when they come to the purges

this would explain the dirty dishes,soap in the dispensor and a water heating error, cause the machine cant heat water or clean dishes if there is no water in the tub
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
It is not drained through the floor, but the hose does dip down a couple of inches before it feeds to the air gap and then back to the disposal.

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
Updated information and still need help.  I have found that water flow may be an issue at my house or area.  I get 62 PSI when I use one hose spigot and the PSI drops to 42 when I use both of my hose spigots.  The same results for my neighbor.  The water company guy said that is a flow problem, not a pressure issue.  The reason I bring this up as many times flow and pressure was mentioned by all of the repair techs for my dishwasher when it was under warranty.  The replaced hoses to make sure it was big enough and the "right" type, their words.  Any good way to test a possible flow issue at the dishwasher?  It is a Frigidaire which also complains that the water is not hot enough, HO flashes on the door a few times per each wash.  Water is hot enough according to the manual and a non-touch temp gauge, which I use the at the sink near the dishwasher.  I also run the the hot water at the sink before I start the dishwasher and do not run any other devices that use hot water during the time the dishwasher runs.  Thanks 

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
from a friggy service letter
Not all of the detergent is being washed out of the dispenser, or the consumer is using detergent
tabs and they are getting stuck in the dispenser.
The roller assemblies for the lower rack have been redesigned, lowering the rack by , allowing
clearance for the detergent dispenser door to open farther. The service kit number is
p/n 154573401. It comes with four wheel assemblies and installation instructions.
to test proper fill
Select a cycle and time the fill. The fill time will be 87 seconds for each fill. Once the wash
motor has started, open the door and check the water level. With the dishwasher level; the
water should come to where the heater mounting clips attach to the tub.

if you have an optional rack that clips on to the bottom rack on the left hand side near the detergent cup... remove it and try machine without this raised left side rack

also... determine if the door is sticking on the top or bottom rack, you can figure this out by runing a short wash with no bottom rack
if you hear the cup door snap open when you open the d/w door with no bottom rack then you know it is catching on the top rack
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:54:22 PM by BrntToast »
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
Sorry about the delay, too many projects like venting my microwave through a sidewall of my house.

The fill time is 105 seconds and the water is just at the bottom of the bracket for the heater element as you said.  Could the longer fill time be because low water flow or pressure issues?  The dispenser door comes half way open and it stopped only by the top rack.  Half way open (horizontal) sounds okay to me, but is it?

Anybody know the GPM required for a normal dishwasher?  I read 6.74 GPM at my hose spigot and a drop to 5.31 GPM with both hose spigots on.  I heard that 10 oz in ten seconds is a normal dishwasher repair tech trick?  Sound right as that sounds low to me?  I guess this test is unhooking the fill hose, running a cycle and seeing if it can fill something 10 oz in size in ten seconds.  Thanks

Dishwasher soap dispenser not operating to dispense detergent

Started by Bill

Replies: 1
Views: 1731
Last post May 29, 2009, 05:21:00 AM
by Repair-man
GE Dishwasher Soap Dispenser Does Not Always Work.

Started by candy

Replies: 8
Views: 1773
Last post December 12, 2011, 11:13:46 AM
by bigbuck
GE dishwasher soap dispenser works intermittently

Started by fanz

Replies: 1
Views: 1201
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:17:19 AM
by JWWebster
Dispenser, Soap lid