Author Topic: GE front load washer, belt keeps coming off  (Read 11851 times)

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
GE front load washer, belt keeps coming off
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »
I was giving this washer from a friend because the belt has come off twice, and the repair guy said " he thought" the tub bolts could be broken and it would cost 1500.00 to repair......was told the washer works perfect except the belt keeps coming off,  they have had the washer about 2 or 3 years......I thought OK, I can learn about the new front load washers and repairs.....

Looked up the year and it's a 2005,  downloaded and printed all the manuals, and have it opened up and looking it over......very clean inside and out, everything looks good, have not powered it up yet as I thought I would check out a few things 1st.  

Lots of belt Frey inside bottom of machine, understandable since the belt has come off twice and been replaced.  Tub turns very freely and smoothly, tub dampers are intact and sturdy,  seems to all look good and right,

My big question is,  the tub drive pulley,  I think I understand the slack in the turning part so when it stops and turns the opposite direction there is some slack for the motor,  but there are no grooves in the drive pulley for the belt to follow,  this belt is suppose to stay on this thing ???  AND  it's very loose and wobbly front to back so too speak,  seems it should be more solid than this.....are the new pulleys better, ?   design flaw fixed ???  I mean how does this belt stay on,  grooves on the motor shaft, but none on the drive pulley???   ???

Model WHDVH626FWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: GE front load washer, belt keeps coming off
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:08:23 AM »
Lots of questions :)

If the pulley is slack it could simply mean a new pulley. As long as there is no play in the actual tub bearing or spinner assembly, a new pulley might be worth the investment. A new belt should be installed on frontloaders at least every 5 years, as they bear the brunt of the load since there is not a transmission on these.

In rare cases, problems with the motor control board can cause the motor to ramp down too suddenly and cause the belt to throw off. The motor is supposed to glide slowly to a stop from its hi speed spin. If the tub is turning too fast and the motor all of a sudden stops turning, imagine the pressure the belt must be under, not to mention the drive pulley and shaft. The motor test described in the manual should help you make the determination.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »
 Also, there are no grooves on the pulley. The grooves on the motor shaft keep the belt alligned with the pulley.

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
Yep LOTS of questions  :)   I like to learn and fix......the challenge I guess     

thanks for all the suggestions, and in site,  more things to check out, great to chat with knowledgeable people  :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:21:01 PM »
You gonna think the new belt is too small and if there is a probo with the tub bearing that belt ain't gonna stay on. Their IS an adjustment on the motor.

Front loader repair manual GE
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:26:50 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »
Ok, since you brought the tub bearing up,  how do you tell if the bearing is ok before you put a new pulley and belt on. ???

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:21:12 PM »
I have the repair manuel printed out ........1st thing I did  :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »
The ones I saw that was bad the belt would not stay on for one revolution of the drum.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Mykl711

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »
OK, I put the belt back on tonight,  it turns about 5 times and the belt works it way in towards the tub and of course rubs......
the      tub pulley tho seems really wobbley, could that be worn or does it sound like the main tub bearing is shot ?
 :-\

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:00:34 AM »
It is a lot more practical to replace the drive pulley first (cheaper too). It may solve the problem. Would it not be a shame to invest a new bearing job only to find out the pulley was warped? The pulley is a common failure point on this machine also.

Drive Pulley Kit- click pic

To address your curiousity as to why the drive pulleys on front-load washers never have grooves, it is because in case of pulley or bearing failure, the belt will slip off or get eaten up first to indicate a problem. There is a certain amount of play in the distance from the motor to the drive pulley and a grooved pulley would not allow for any belt movement from side to side to compensate. This thing spins at over 1000 RPMs so it is not going to have grooves in the drive pulley or it would be tearing up belts a a phenominal rate. On most of these motors, the grooves in the motor pulley are extended beyond the width of the belt to allow you to properly center the belt on the main drive pulley. These pulleys can and do warp over time due to the huge amount of stress they are under turning the spinner.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:27:27 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 8233
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
frigidaire front load washer

Started by Mikki

Replies: 6
Views: 6394
Last post October 17, 2007, 04:42:52 PM
by Mikki
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7399
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
Replacing Front Load Washer Pump Model#LHW0050PQ

Started by resapp

Replies: 4
Views: 3107
Last post May 22, 2012, 12:34:13 PM
by AJ
Frigidiare Kenmore Front Load Washer Inner Tub & Tub Bearing Replacement.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 7576
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:56:05 AM
by BrntToast
16007803 Maytag Front Load Washer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5194
Last post March 27, 2008, 08:23:12 PM
by AJ