Author Topic: looking for HQ no frills oven  (Read 2667 times)

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
looking for HQ no frills oven
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:18:06 PM »
Hi guys

Is there a gas model oven out there with no control panel or touch pad etc and that's very
dependable I am looking for a high quality no frills oven, no timer nothing but 4 burners and
a oven period, something like you would find in a apt, I do not feel comfortable or safe with
the way control board operated ovens are made these day. when a timer is needed I will
use the microwave's timer for the oven.

Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: looking for HQ no frills oven
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »
I bought A Magic Chef gas oven from the gas company. It does not use electricity at all. It is a 30 inch free standing range with pilot lights. A very dependable oven. It has some nice features. I can lift the top without fear of breaking any tubing. I don't need power to cook or bake (hurricane time it comes in handy here in the swamp) This stove along with my gas water heater is very nice and very economical and the gas company let me put em on bill.
Oh yeah I got me a Charm Glow natural gas space heater too. Like having a fireplace but without work, Power goes out we fire up the charmer. O0
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:42:22 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »
I bought A Magic Chef gas oven from the gas company.

Sounds great, got a model number?
It's seems hard to find gas stoves now day's that don't need to be plugged in.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:18:10 PM »
I bought A Magic Chef gas oven from the gas company.

Sounds great, got a model number?
It's seems hard to find gas stoves now day's that don't need to be plugged in.

That's what has me confused I seen a few over the weekend, one being a galaxy from sears
I'm not sure if the plug is just for the igniter's or not, I really do not care about a plug
as long as it is just for the pilotless igniter's, and not for some over priced control board
inside running anything.  I tried asking a person at the store, they seem to have no clue,
and just tell you want you want to hear..

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
Magic Chef Model 31000PAA

No power plug
no clock
no control board
no ignitor

This stove has 2 standing pilots which operate the top 4 burners.
The oven has a safety valve with a thermocouple, a standing pilot, and is controlled by a simple mercury bulb thermostat mounted on the rail which supplys gas to the valve.
No power is needed to operate the stove. Sweet  O0
One other thing:
 This is a crank down and flip model that can be easily converted to propane without changing or buying any spare parts.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:39:46 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
Magic Chef Model 31000PAA

No power plug
no clock
no control board
no ignitor

This stove has 2 standing pilots which operate the top 4 burners.
The oven has a safety valve with a thermocouple, a standing pilot, and is controlled by a simple mercury bulb thermostat mounted on the rail which supplys gas to the valve.
No power is needed to operate the stove. Sweet  O0

Thanks, that's sounds worth looking into, that is really smart thinking on you half, fancy
does no good when power goes out or needs part replacement, I'l' also bet you really
know your stuff when it comes to fixing things right the first time.

We would prefer pilot-less, if I knew 100% for sure the plug was just for a igniters
and nothing else.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »
Give us the model number of what you are thinking about buying so that we can tell you what we think
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
The other day I took Granny into Sears to git a new telephone. The phones are right there in the appliance and tv section. As I was waiting for Granny to decide which phone she wanted I took a look at some of the newer stuff they had on display. Keep in mind I have been monitoring this and several boards about appliance woes for years. So each time the salesman showed me a machine I would ask them is this or that problem had ever been resolved or would they have a newer improved cheaper electronics etc. I could tell I was getting on the big guys nerves but I kept poking fun at the little sales lady they had on the floor.
I told her I would like a washer but I would prefer one with a transmission in it.
She assured me every one of the washers there had the very best transmissions out there. I didn't want to tell her the ones she was trying to sell me didn't even have one. LOL
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:57:51 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:53:10 PM »
That sound about like a Sears rep.  The only thing they know is how much commission they get from sales.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »
The other day I took Granny into Sears to git a new telephone. The phones are right there in the appliance and tv section. As I was waiting for Granny to decide which phone she wanted I took a look at some of the newer stuff they had on display. Keep in mind I have been monitoring this and several boards about appliance woes for years. So each time the salesman showed me a machine I would ask them is this or that problem had ever been resolved or would they have a newer improved cheaper electronics etc. I could tell I was getting on the big guys nerves but I kept poking fun at the little sales lady they had on the floor.
I told her I would like a washer but I would prefer one with a transmission in it.
She assured me every one of the washers there had the very best transmissions out there. I didn't want to tell her the ones she was trying to sell me didn't even have one. LOL

Oh I love this board I have been online for years, I'm a somewhat php asp junkie never
once crossed my mine we even had appliances in our old house until we bought another house
and then went and got all new appliances. we bought a new house this time around, and in NJ
where we live that's a good chunk of change, we really did not have that much left over
so we bought a admiral washer and dryer and a Maytag oven, the dryer has been good
so far but the washer and oven have been nothing but trouble, at first I thought it was
Maytag in general, but after looking around at different brands and pushing on oven controls I
am slowly starting to think there all made to go just past the warranty stage which is getting
shorter and shorter I noticed as well, do not think I am nuts but I do not
trust this crap being made today, especially when it comes to ovens.

I took off the upper panel on the Maytag thinking maybe its something simple, we have no
temp up foe bake, that board area is flimsy and poorly supported in my opinion, then I got a price around 170.00 plus shipping 1yr that is purely insane I have seen cordless phones
with more complex circuit boards inside them, what if that board ever snapped, shifted or cracked pushing a button one day and never showed a sign of it, could that turn on the oven by it self one day? these manufactures need to spend that quarter per appliance
extra and reinforce and support these boards better and start warrantying them longer as
well. or soon they will run out of idiots left to by them.

Personally I would never pay anything over 350.00 these days for an oven, those panels
seem flimsy to me even on the upper models I personally feel no difference

Transmission, that's another scary word, that's the washers version of the oven control panel, but at least here you get to break it down by part even through to replace that part you also need to replace another and another etc

PS I thought all washers had a trans? spin one way to drain, the another way to agitate.
but then again I learn something new every day

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »
Todays newer space age models have a huge row of copper windings mounted on the base. They have what you  call the rotor on a starter, (the spinning thingy), mounted at the base of the agitator and inner tub. The whole shebang is powered up by an inverter that changes you perfectly fine ac power to dc 3 phase even. This 3 phase dc is distributed to that array of copper windings through an insanely complex system of computer boards that judge everything from water temperature and water pureness to speed of agitation and rpms. To amuse themselves they have cleverly burried a binary code that relays info to tell you and me what to fix. To keep track of where the tub is at all times another computer is needed to relay that info back to the main computer. Starting to get the picture. Wait there's more: If all them fancy electronix was actually made from top rate material instead of stolen tail lights of JB Hunt trailers parked to close to the border then the machines might be worth the money but then again every time a voltage spike occurs from a blackout or a thunder storm rolls in and hits the transformer right there next to the utility room....starting to get the picture? Have we traded a $150 transmission for a dang space shuttle? Me and my buddy Robert are working on ways to make them new fangled machines we grab off the curb a bit more greener. We figure by sitting the dryer into a black painted glass box with a handle to crank it we can transform that gadgetry into a passive washer dryer using rainwater and beer cans. Hay Who knows? you might be buying that crap right now. Ha Ha
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:35:02 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 02:01:19 PM »
150.00 transmission, you must have big time connections I have a low end Admiral washer
and the trans for that is 250.00 plus and that was the lowest price I could see on the
web,

If you ever wanted a career change, you have appliance industry spokesmen skills you
made dime store electronics sound like it came right out of the space shuttle, what are
they putting in the water down there? LOL

this guy summed up things the best, nice to know I am not alone, "excerpt below taken
from the Samurai fixitnow site a highly experienced appliance repairman I would think" I do
not want to include a link don't know if that's proper here or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Most appliances today use electronic circuit boards. For example, many appliances use an “electronic control system” consisting of a dime-store calculator LCD display, a plastic touch pad, and a cheesy circuit board, all made in a Chinese sweat shop. Although these boards are manufactured for pennies, replacement circuit boards sell for big bucks, sometimes hundreds of dollars, and are the single most profitable replacement part that any appliance manufacturer sells."
-------------------------------------------------------------

I could not have said it any better myself, I also found out Viking and GE are very
restrictive with their technical service information, while Whirlpool and Frigidaire  at the
moment make their service information freely available. I also called Whirlpool and they are
sending me out another transmission it was under warranty but not the labor, and he
sounded knowledgeable and as American as apple pie. personally I have a whole new
positive outlook towards Whirlpool. we will see if the trans comes.

Frigidaire oven temp sensor probe?

Started by jon

Replies: 1
Views: 7171
Last post July 08, 2007, 06:06:26 PM
by AJ
Jenn-Air self cleaning oven problem

Started by ralphthedog

Replies: 6
Views: 11218
Last post December 13, 2007, 08:15:34 PM
by ralphthedog
How can I find the manual for a Jenn Aire double oven?

Started by Dukes

Replies: 2
Views: 3563
Last post December 16, 2007, 04:40:06 PM
by Dukes
Maytag Double Wall oven lights

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 2
Views: 4410
Last post December 23, 2007, 01:26:06 PM
by kjagmin
bosch convection oven