Author Topic: Low pressure at one faucet and dishwasher?  (Read 360 times)

Offline JaredArmstrong

• VIP Member
Low pressure at one faucet and dishwasher?
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »
An old co-worker of mine had me check out her dishwasher, she said it barely cleaned on the bottom rack and next to nothing on the top rack. The cycle also takes a long time to complete. The first thing I did was run the dishwasher to see how much water was filling up. When I opened it up after the fill cycle stopped there was no visible water in the dishwasher! So I checked the hot water pressure at the kitchen faucet and it was extremely low, but the cold was fine. I went around the house and checked all the faucets and showers, and only the bathroom sink closest to the kitchen was low. 

I checked the inlet hoses to see if they were kinked but they were fine. My next step would be to check the hoses and inlet valve/aerator screens for blockage( I just didn't have time). Is there anything else that would cause low pressure at one (or a few) faucets? If the whole house was low i could see checking the water main valve and maybe considering a pressure regulator, or maybe the water heater if all the hots were low(?)

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas. Im new to this site and appliance repair in general, and this is really only my second "real" job so Im excited but still a little intimidated. So more reason why I love having this site!

Take care,
~Jared

Online Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: Low pressure at one faucet and dishwasher?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »
If the water pressure is low at the Kitchen sink & not much elsewhere, suspect hard water mineral fallout collecting in the shut off valve constricting the water flow.   That is what it sounds to me.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline JaredArmstrong

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:31:45 PM »
Yeah that makes sense. One of her showers had little more than a trickle coming out, I cleaned the inside of the shower head and got all kinds of junk out, and when I turned on the shower without the head on, something like chocolate milk came out. Brownest water I 've ever seen. After I got the head back on the water flow was fine. She has copper pipes and the house has got to be at least 30 years old, so I'm sure that must have something to do with it.

I'll be back over there this monday, so hopefully that's all it is. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

~Jared

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
I'd check for galvanized nipples or other fittings. Some cheap ass plumbers use them instead of brass and in time they corrode to near or complete blockage.

Offline JaredArmstrong

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
Ok, thanks olyteddy. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

dishwasher pressure valve not activating

Started by kitenski

Replies: 0
Views: 1046
Last post September 01, 2013, 06:48:16 AM
by kitenski
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 5780
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool dishwasher manual

Started by naes

Replies: 15
Views: 16237
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher - Check for foreign objects in food chopper.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 19440
Last post August 08, 2007, 12:43:21 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 11241
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Dead whirlpool dishwasher