Author Topic: How many appliance manufactures are really out there?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
How many appliance manufactures are really out there?
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »
How much true competition is really out there? who makes appliances other whirlpool
they make almost everything at the home depot I want to make sure I never get
another brand they produce ever

We bought a admiral washer dryer and maytag oven at the same time at HD, just under 2
yrs ago, when we bought our house, recently the pump bearing on the washer went so
bad it seized up good thing I was playing pool downstairs and heard the humming that
would have burned out the motor too I'm sure the belt did not break just a loud humming
noise so I shut it off, and spent about over an hour and half dealing with the water still
in the tub, it was in pieces, the trans clicks most likely the nylon gear and who knows
what else, And now, the Oven has no temperature up button and you guessed it all
brands produced by whirlpool

I browse this forum and I see people having appliances for 10+ years and still working fine
with minor repair problems. I cant see any of ours lasting 3 years.

I'd like to know before I go shopping again how many real appliance manufactures are
really out there, Not brands. I even heard whirlpool makes some models of Kenmore as
well. glad I heard that one, my wife wanted to go to Sears last week for another oven.

also advice on who makes the best appliances nowadays, not in the past

Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: How many appliance manufactures are really out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »
These days the only thing worth the money is the extended warranty plan.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »
Whirlpool makes excellent appliances if you can decipher the Whirlpool product from the other companies represented by Whirlpool. When Whirlpool purchased the Maytag company they also purchased other companies owned by Maytag.
Whirlpool is slowly integrating their parts and quality into these other machines.
Your best investment is to stay with Whirlpool and to stay away from any of the Oriental or European brands.
This is my personal opinion and not that of Appliance Junk .com.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »
Whirlpool makes excellent appliances if you can decipher the Whirlpool product from the other companies represented by Whirlpool. When Whirlpool purchased the Maytag company they also purchased other companies owned by Maytag.
Whirlpool is slowly integrating their parts and quality into these other machines.
Your best investment is to stay with Whirlpool and to stay away from any of the Oriental or European brands.
This is my personal opinion and not that of Appliance Junk .com.

I'll give you that, I never owned a product with the name whirlpool on it, so I cant say
either way, but I have a feeling your right because I have only heard good of them.

but as far as Maytag "bought their oven and a admiral Washer and dryer" nothing but
problems, I bought another ovan at Sears yesterday, Hotpoint I think by GE looks kind of the same as our not so old maytag (not delivered yet). I wanted to just get the galaxy with no display, but my wife said no way

at the time we bought all that stuff we also got a GE fridge seems the only thing that
works fine out of the bunch. if your right whirlpool has there hands full, personally I will never buy another product made or owned by them.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »
Part of the best also is to consider which model.  If your Admiral washer has a belt it is on the old Maytag design.  The Whirlpool design has no belt, could be the same with the oven.  

The major companies are Whirlpool, GE, Electrolux, and LG.  They own most of the names you see.  Bosch has Thermadore, Seimens, and Gaggin (I can't say it let alone spell that last one). SubZero owns Wolf.  Fischer Paykel owns DCS.  Maybe more but that is what I can remember off the top of my head.

PS - The wife loves the Bosch line......  And yes, Hotpoint is owned by GE. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:02:33 PM by PARTech »
Serving North Idaho

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
I have all Maytag appliances,except for my 1938 O'Keefe & Merritt range and a Whirlpool trash compactor. Maytag washer(belt 9 years ago) & dryer(belt & blower wheel 7 years ago) are 24+ years old & work great. 16 year old dishwasher (no service ever),14 year old refrigerator ( defrost heaters 6 years ago.)20 year old freezer is an Amana 0 trouble.I WISH THEY WERE STILL BUILT LIKE THIS NOW! Not like it used to be. I am an ex- OL'Lonely guy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:34:05 PM by theoldstoveguy »

Offline ebinc

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:02:42 AM »
Part of the best also is to consider which model.  If your Admiral washer has a belt it is on the old Maytag design.  The Whirlpool design has no belt, could be the same with the oven.  

The major companies are Whirlpool, GE, Electrolux, and LG.  They own most of the names you see.  Bosch has Thermadore, Seimens, and Gaggin (I can't say it let alone spell that last one). SubZero owns Wolf.  Fischer Paykel owns DCS.  Maybe more but that is what I can remember off the top of my head.

PS - The wife loves the Bosch line......  And yes, Hotpoint is owned by GE. :)

No belt design, you scare me, sounds really expensive to fix, but that's a mute point
anyway I will fix this admiral washer no matter what breaks in the future we some how
bonded, to much up close time together I guess. plus were broke.

My goal is to make our Admiral washer and dryer last until at least 2015 I think that's fair

I have this forum for help which is a great thing to know, I would have fixed that Maytag
oven if not for the board being the problem, I read online of boards turning on the oven
if not installed correctly, I don't know if that's half baked gossip or what, (no pun intended)

Thanks Guys for letting me vent I feel much better now

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:05 AM »
Many appliances now use printed circuit boards as their control system. Regardless of brand these boards seem to have a short life.
Utility power surges have a negative effect on these boards.

"No belt design, you scare me, sounds really expensive to fix".......

A direct drive coupling is used,cost about $20. Easy to replace.
Take a Kid fishing.

Follow us on Google+

Auto industry builds products to last why not appliance manufactures?

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 1056
Last post May 14, 2013, 10:07:55 AM
by AJ
Last I seen the cat was when the appliance guy was here.....

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 2970
Last post October 10, 2007, 03:05:09 PM
by maypo52
Kitchen appliance recommendations

Started by maypo52

Replies: 9
Views: 4632
Last post January 31, 2014, 10:13:00 PM
by afterblast
Appliance manufacturers company logos