Author Topic: Problems with my Whirlpool Duet Washer  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Broncitis

• VIP Member
Problems with my Whirlpool Duet Washer
« on: October 17, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
I purchased this washer in June of '07 and did not get it installed into my new place until a few months later. I'm a single guy, so this machine has little use.

Last wekend I tried to run a load and it would not start the cycle after pressing the start button. I tried several times and made sure the door was shut. I then tried some other controls and they were not working properly, so I pulled the plug and let it set a few minutes then plugged it back in and tried again. This time there were no panel lights or displays, just a beep tone when I pressed a button. I tried pulling the plug a few more times and did get the panel to light a couple times, but nothing worked properly. I did manage to see an F71 code. I then found out about the tech sheet inside and tried to pull a code history and run a diagnostic, but it would not run the diagnostic as described.

Today (a week later), I finally got a friend to help me dismount the stacked dryer so I could get into it further.

I removed the top lid and front door trim ring, but that was much more difficult than expected, and I think most all of the tabs on the left and right side plastic mouting brakcets broke off when I removed it!  :tickedoff: I restore classic cars and am quite careful when removing all types of trim. Even after looking at this, I'm not sure how the heck I could have gotten it off without breaking $60+ worth of mounting hardware!  :embarassed:

I suspect is is the CCU, but I wanted to look for any possible loose connections or damamged wires before I started throwing money at it.  I think I identified the CCU, but the Duet manual I found here (L68) is not the correct maual for my machine. The CCU in that manual is in the upper rear. Mine has nothing there. Mine has a gray box on the upper front right corner, but I have not quite figured out how to get that to release without breaking it as well!  ???

Having spent  $3K on a new washer and dryer, I really expected to get more than 2 years out of them before troubles like this!  >:(

And the price of some of these parts is downright outrageous! $4 each for a plastic clip that breaks when you get into service it (8 or 10 of them) when they are nearly the same as auto clips that cost a dime or a quarter each!

Sorry for the rant, but if anyone has the correct manual or suggetions on what I should try next, I'd really apreciate it!

Model WfW9400SU00

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: Problems with my Whirlpool Duet Washer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:06:55 AM »
It must be a Duet Sport check the door switch particularly the little button above the latch they tend to break off when clothes snag on them causing these problems.

Offline Broncitis

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
No, mine is not the sport model. It is the WFW9400SU00 (silver painted) higher end model.

The switch seems fine, and if it weren't, I don't think that would cause the other problems I'm experiancing (display will not light up, cycles can not even be selected, etc.). These items used to work with the door openbefore starting a cycle before.

I also got the F71 code as I mentioned eariler, so I think it is the CCU or the display panel, but I'm not sure which since the diagonstic sequence will not run.

Any other ideas on diagnosing this?

Thanks,
Drew

Offline Broncitis

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »
OK, I know have identified the CCU (WP PN 8183259), which is what I originally thought it was (the L-68 manual threw me for a loop since it was not actually for my model and is different).

Looked for anything obvious like loose or damaged wires, found none. I pulled all connections on the CCU and the UID and reseated them.  Still nothing worked. Pulled the CCU and did a quick look over the board but could see nothing obvious (as expected), same with the UID board.

Man, WP sure makes removeal of the CCU a real PITA as well! If the rear have of the enclosure had flexible hinge on the part that covers all the connections on the top, it would have been much more accesable!

It seems their designers worry more only about ease of assembly and not service. As a manufacturing/design engineer who make specialized equipment for the government, maybe I look at these things too much! :-\

So now that I have it all apart I'm basicly where I was when I started to tear it apart (unsure if the CCU ot UID is the the problem)?

Off to the laundromat for my Sunday afternnoon  :(....

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »
Did you try the MANUAL DIAGNOSTIC TEST
■ Close the door.
■ Select any one key (except “PAUSE/CANCEL) and
follow the steps below, using the same key:
Press/hold for 4 Release for 4 seconds Press/hold for 4 seconds Release for seconds ➔Press/hold for4 seconds Release for 4 seconds ➔Press/hold for 4

If you can't get it to go I would think that it is the user interface problem.. I would  try many different buttons...
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline Broncitis

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:55:25 PM »
Yes, I tried, but it would not run the diagnostic as described. I got some other things that came up on the display, something like "AH5" as I recall. It did not fit any of the codes on the tech sheet inside the machine, and did not run like described.

After pressing and holding then releasing the buttons as described (I did try a couple times with different buttons), it would not light up all the the console LEDs for 5 seconds as  step #3 on the sheet indicates should happen.

I'm going to hook everything back up and try this again....

...Hmmm, got it all hooked up (CCU and display) and tried to run the diagnositc. Still could not get that to run as described, but when I pulled the pug to reset and tried the second time, the panel lit up like normal, so I tried to run a cycle and it seems to be working? ??? :)

Its running now, so I will know soon if it runs all the cycles like it should. I hope so!

The only thing I can figure is that something was not making good contact and when I reinstalled all the connectors to the CCU and display, whatever it was made contact again?

I'd really like to know, but if it keeps working, who cares! O0

Offline Broncitis

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:33 AM »
I thought it was fixed, but no such luck. It ran the first load fine, but second load got an F71 code.

Tonight I will check the continuity of the CCU-UID harness and wiggle the wires to check for a broken wire. Much past that, my guess is that its likely a bad solder joint or track on the board that can be almost impossible to find from my experiance with the machines we make where I work.

The saga continues.... :(

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 02:15:26 PM »
I still wouldn't count out the door switch. The CCU detects both open and closed condition for this if it doesn't it won't do anything like you described. Here's an easy check unplug the ds3 harness from the ccu then plug it back in and try the washer if it works you need a new door latch.

Offline Broncitis

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
I just pulled DL3 form the harness and plugged it back in with no effect. I then pulled the other end of DL3 off at the door switch and checked the harness for continuity, tested fine.

I also pulled the harness between teh CCU and UI for continuity, it also checked fine.

The tech sheet inside the machine says the following for Code F71:

USER INTERFACE HEARTBEAT FAILURE:
If CCU heartbeat failure is displayed, no communication is detected from the UI to the CCU.

Possible Causes/Procedure:
  • Check for continuity of the UI harness ( O0)
Check wire harness connections to the UI and CCU ( O0)
Replace UI if drum is rotating  :-\
Replace CCU if drum is not moving  :-\

I got the first two, but when are they refering to drum movement? During the diagnostic test program? If so, I can not get that to even run at all.

The drum did run when I got the machine to run an entire cycle once last night (somehow?), but then again, everthing appeared to be working at that point for some reason, so whatever the fault is in the UI or CCU, it was intermittant at that point.

I have no lights on on the UIP or UID.
The control panel lock works.
The keypad tone sounds when I press Power, or when I hold the Power button down and press any other button (Start, Cancel, Prewash, spin settings, etc.).

Based on this, should I try replacing the CCU, UI, or try something else?

I see that one of the parts places online will take returns of electrical items within 30 days, so if I did get choose the incoorect item, I could return it and get the other, but that is even more down time as well. :(

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:47 AM »
"Replace UI if drum is rotating  /Replace CCU if drum is not moving "this is when you run the washer in normal uses..

will it still not go into the MANUAL DIAGNOSTIC TEST? if you can't get it into MDT I would guess the UI... I would also get both of them... return the one you don't needed or you may need both.. Anyway you will have less down time if you get both.

Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

washer problems Whirlpool Duet model WFW9200SQA12

Started by brad

Replies: 6
Views: 1060
Last post September 11, 2014, 07:49:43 PM
by brad
Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 32837
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6804
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal

Started by AJ

Replies: 39
Views: 73929
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:16:46 AM
by GB-NC
Whirlpool Washer Problems

Started by engelman

Replies: 1
Views: 2921
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:35:38 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 14119
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ