Author Topic: How to check if wigwag is good  (Read 5069 times)

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
How to check if wigwag is good
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:24:40 AM »
it agitates and spins but cant get it to drain---im sure the door switch is good

suspect the pump but before i put that much $$ into such a old machine would like to be sure the wigwag is good

I can only get it on just 1 level of the wigwag slot-----is drain and spin both that same level????????with agitate being the other level??

cant get it to agitate now since i have disconnectee the lines and moved it so i can work on it-----will it not agitate without water in it?????????---just want to make sure i havent screwed it up since no agitating now before i buy tthat pump

any way to manually get the wigwag on the other level (is that a agitate level)----just want to test the wigwag before buying pump---can u tell me how to test it---seems to be moving freely but just on that 1 level

thanks

Model 110.7204903

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
Re: How to check if wigwag is good
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:39:48 AM »
machine will NOT agitate without water

one cam switches between agitate and drain the other is spin on/off

have a good look at the shoe the wig wag pulls up on the pump cam, make sure the rivet isn't missing, make sure when it switches it moves the lever on the pump

post back after this check

sorry i cant be move precise, thats an old machine and i dont see many anymore, just know how to test by looking, its hard to explain on such a complex arcane system

Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:47:32 PM »
Here is an easy way to see if the wigwag is bad. The motor on these machines only goes in one direction. The wig wag(2nd picture) coils energize and shift the tranny on this bad baby! A easy way to check to see if a wig wag coil is bad is this: looking at the wigwag you will notice that their is 2 of the wires hooked together(common) one of these goes to each coil and feeds the energy. LEAVE THESE ALONE! the other 2 remaining wires do the wash and the spin cycle. IF you reverse the wires guess what happens? The washer will now wash in spin and spin in wash. Ha HA! a funny april fools joke no? What this does is let you know if the coils are indeed energizing. The possibility of both coils being bad are slim. The other way to do it of course is to see if either coil is open by doing a quick continuity check. One more thing and here is a trade secret. Them forks(1st picture) that are mounted on the coils are probably over 20 years old and rusted inside. If you remove the shift forks and sand them down(removing the rust) so that they will slide nice and easy then the thang will probably start working right. NO PARTS NEEDED! LOL SHHH they will all be doing it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
Barry there is no way both coils should be energized at the same time. You must have a bad timer.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:47:07 PM »
big mistake--bout and installed new pump and hoped------------still not draining--------again the wigwag moves freely up and down on the shifters and one arm ( on right looking from rear of machine) does move when it gets to the end of a cycle--can only suspect thats the arm that moves the lever on the pump---is the other arm supppsed to move at some point too----again suspect the door switch is good as it will spin ( when no water in it) -------got to try to salvage it now since i put money into it with new pump---big mistake----any thoughts now?????????--thanks william and anybody

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
if you lay the drain hose on the floor does water run out?

and... do you have 2 drain hoses?   the model number you gave shows as a suds saver machine

Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:52:40 AM »
You could energize the spin solenoid manually while its  running to see if you can force it to spin and pump. This is tricky.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
ya, i know i do that one, but never suggested it cause i'd hate to read

"well i tried that but now i'm having a hard time typing missing the tip of one finger"  :tickedoff:

Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:36:11 PM »

and... do you have 2 drain hoses?   the model number you gave shows as a suds saver machine

mine is the non-suds model---i have the actual owners manual from 1973--lol---washer hasnt been used in 10 years but was working when the ex-wife decided shed give it to me a few years after my $20000 "friendly divorce"--lol.

I only have 1 drain hose on it and only 1 fitting coming out to attach a hose to so I have to think thats the right exit point.

But you may be on to something.  my drain pipe for house is washer height----i got a big tub and took that hose---had a lot more length than i needed---do to about a foot off the ground and yes i did start getting a little flow with the pump engaged-----I did see the pump lever engage via the wigwag--but it was a real unforceful flow almost like i was getting out water that was already in the line and not from pump action-------finally the machine go to end and turned off and then i played around with the hose some more and then started getting a lot better flow but now not from pump but just gravity and siphon acti. I prob got about 3 gallons out of it before the tub toped out but the way it was coming then i might have been able to empty to tub.

still in doubt if i bought a pump for nothing but likely I have-------ill run it thru a cycle tomorrow and see if i can get it to pump thur with force--like i said it was just a small flow when the pump was pumping and then later gravity/siphon action

but isnt that pump supposed to recycle water back into the tub as well from the top??????/---it didnt do that------but the pump lever did open and i got water out so thats hopeful but now i got to see it come out forcefully with the pump running

what am I to do though when my drain pipe is washer height and couldnt get anything draining at that height

thanks for the imput---you and webster---but you the leader for the beer right now---any other thoughts let me know

thanks guys

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »
The pump does not recycle nothing.On this model the motor does NOT reverse. The levers do the wash and the spin (and consequent pump out). When the timer energizes the spin solenoid the flap opens and water goes out and the machine spins out. This aint no brainiac washer. It is old timey. The only thang that ever kilt these washers is rust. Quote me
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:44:40 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »
lol---u been great---guess im used to seeing water recirculate into the tub on those commercial washers at the laundramat I've been using---looking more and more like i bought a pump for nothing----got a good deal on ebay at least ---i wouldnt have paid 65 elsewhere for this washer when unsure when i can buy a used on off craigs list for 50-----hope this drain hose becomes the issue but i came out with no force when the pump was pumping---------thanks for all your input

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
a wigwag ain't but 20 bucks
 That one has got to be 30 years old. Why not get another wiggywaggy on ebay. ye might could git a good un fer 5 bucks.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »

and... do you have 2 drain hoses?   the model number you gave shows as a suds saver machine

I am totally absolutely befuddled by it all------------yes its draining when the drain hose is low-----it dont know if its the pump pumping it out when the pump is running or just normal gravity/siphon action----guess it doesnt matter if its draining BUT WHY IS THIS----WHY WONT IT DRAIN WITH THE HOSE ABOUT WASHER LEVEL IN THE OUTLET TUBE IN THE WALL---OBVIOUSLY i CANT USE IT WITH IT ONLY DRAINING DOWN THERE???????????????----THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 04:45:05 PM »
Well, OBVIOUSLY, if the wig-wag is shifting into spin, it should also be shifting the pump into DRAIN. You need a new pump if it ain't shifting. Or, you need to be sure you engaged the pump lever in the cam bar when you installed the new pump. You should be able to clearly watch the action of the wigwag as it shifts into drain from behind the machine.

Be sure the little pins in the cam guides are not broken or bent, if so the wigwag won't shift the gears like it should. Also check the white cone-shaped object in the right rear corner...the self clean filter. When these fail, they won't allow the pump to drain properly, if at all. You can tell if the filter is bad when you put the machine to drain...it will swell up at the bottom.

There is also the side-check valve, which you can see on a parts breakdown of your model. This is mounted onto the side of the tub, later replaced by a self-clean filter.. If this side-check valve fails, the machine won't drain right. Do some more homework and look at this machine in detail. You can get manuals for the belt drive machine almost anywhere nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:09:27 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
Repair-man,  appreciate your input but whats obvious to a pro is not as obvious to a novice

You didnt read the entire thread----i just pump a new pump on it----i do see the pump lever pull open via the wigwag arm

im getting good flow when the drain hose is down low and the machine is off but when i turn it on to the drain cycle it doest appear to drain out at that low level with more force--not as much more as i would have thought but i must conclude the pump is pumping

so the quiestion why it pumps out at the low level but not at the proper level-----cant operate the machine if it wont drain intp the wall drain pipe

thanks

Whirlpool Washer - Does not agitate very good.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1962
Last post December 30, 2007, 09:51:09 PM
by AJ
Maytag washer how to check motor?

Started by jonesrsrg

Replies: 6
Views: 2956
Last post February 01, 2008, 09:31:29 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Wigwag Plunger