Author Topic: Maytag Neptune washer and electric dryer  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Washaman

• Technician
Maytag Neptune washer and electric dryer
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »
I got this set in today from someone who wants me to look over and estimate repair cost. First off, the dryer. Terminal block is melted at the black wire and melted off. Past experience tells me motor is drawing to many amps and is bad. Is this a good assumption? Second is the matching washer. I plugged it in and the control panel lights up and is froze and the LED read the following: 66 minutes remaining/Heavy Soil/Cotton Sturdy/Hot Cold/Max Extract/Start Pause is flashing. None of the control buttons are  responding when pushed. From my research is the control board bad. Thank you for any info.

Model mah55flbww    mde5500ayw

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Maytag Neptune washer and electric dryer
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:24:00 AM »
The dryer terminal is something I see frequently and is usually nothing more than an improperly installed cord during installation.  If you want to check the motor, there are 2 ways to do this:
1. Check the resistance of the motor at the run terminals, #5 (yel) and  #4 (blue). There should be approx. 2.25 Ohms.
2. Or you can do an amperage check by applying a test cord to these terminals to look for about 5.3 amps while it is running. An easier way to check it would be to temporarily repair the black wire at the terminal block, then place your ampprobe on the black wire and start the dryer on an Air Dry cycle (no heat). This way you can read only the motor draw current.

The washer problem sounds more like a failed touch pad on the control panel. As a precaution you should also bid a new control board in case it was damaged by the shorted panel, however it may not be necessary to replace it once the control panel is replaced. Sometimes you  get lucky that way. Knowing you can return a part that is not needed is good for you in this case. You'll find a thick tech sheet inside the control panel which is useful.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:29:47 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »
Thank you for the information. I doubt they will want to dump a bunch of money in these, so I will check the dryer first. I will have to replace the terminal block and wire before I start it, so I will check the resistance at the motor. Thanks again and I will update on the progress.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »
Hi Washaman,

It may have been best if you would have started two different topics.
One for the washer and one for the dryer. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind for next time.

I will update on the progress.

Please do keep us update, thanks.
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »
Motor is bad in the dryer. Doubt they will want it repaired. Dryer parts will be around $125 and the washer parts are around $350. Looks like this set was very neglected being they are 7 years old. The dryer looks like it has never been cleaned or serviced....AT ALL! I can attach a lint and scum filled picture if you would like. Big fire hazard.

Maytag Neptune Electric Dryer- Another Problem!

Started by willise

Replies: 5
Views: 6894
Last post March 19, 2009, 10:52:52 AM
by willise
Maytag Neptune Electric Dryer

Started by Lucia

Replies: 3
Views: 2863
Last post July 27, 2011, 11:52:14 AM
by JWWebster
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Maytag electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7661
Last post July 31, 2007, 12:38:27 PM
by AJ
maytag neptune dryer is really noisy

Started by joy

Replies: 1
Views: 4832
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:43:45 AM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Dryer 4000 noise