Author Topic: LG Oven Self Cleaning Locks up  (Read 5909 times)

Offline hkolln

• VIP Member
LG Oven Self Cleaning Locks up
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »
We purchased an LG LRE30453ST self cleaning oven in August 2008.  In December 2008 I used the self cleaning function.  About 45 mins into it the oven shut down, we lost all digital readouts (clock, etc..) and the door locked where we couldn't open it even after it cooled completely down.  We had repair come out (it was under warranty then) and replace the circuit board in the back of it.  It worked fine afterwards (cooking, etc...but did not use the self cleaning function) until today I again set the self cleaning funtion and again after 45 mins it locked up, we lost all power to it and it is locked and we can't open it up.  We checked the circuit breaker to the power and reset it but nothing.  So, now being out of warranty (over 12 mos) we are at a lose as to what to do.  I paid 800.00 for an oven I can't self clean and I'm angry.  We have to pay out of pocket to fix it and it's a recurring issue.  I'd love to get it replaced with a unit that works but I doubt that will happen.  What is causing this to happen and is there anyone here that can offer some advice?  I think I have a lemon oven (is that possble?) LOL....Now I'm again without an oven for at least til the service people get here.  ARGH!!!!  I will NEVER buy another LG oven again!!!!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: LG Oven Self Cleaning Locks up
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »
You have another option...read the following service manual for your oven and decide if you are capable of performing some tests on certain parts, particularly the hi-limit thermostat. When you use the Self-clean cycle it goes to 1000 degrees. If there is an over-heating sensed, this  thermostat will trip and it is non-resettable. In fact, many other brands besides LG use this type of safety device to stop power to the oven in such a case. Complaining about LG specifically is not called for, but most people say the same thing regardless of the brand involved whenevr they have a failure on a relatively new product.  You would be much better off to NOT use the self clean function ever again, since there is a new product for self-cleaning ovens made by Easy Off to accomplish the same task without all the heat and frustration.

Here's the manual-

LG Range Manual
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline hkolln

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
Thank you.  I have the manual and have read it.  We are getting service out here to look at it since I have no idea what is causing this.  Considering I paid alot for an oven with these features I should be able to be upset. 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »
Yes, you should! By all means let them know just how you feel about this Korean product and see how sympathetic they are. Hopefully they will replace it and you'll be happy until it does a repeat episode. The manufacturers are not a caring bunch...they made their money now its your baby. You asked for suggestions and I try to please. Or did you just drop by to voice your complaint?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:55:14 PM by Repair-man »

Offline hkolln

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »
I'm just going to get it fixed like before to work as normal (without the self cleaning function) and start using the easyoff oven cleaner instead.  I was hoping it would work since they replaced the circuit board...oh well you live and learn.  I will never use that feature again! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
Unfortunately, there is no solution to the issues on modern appliances...they sit up nights dreaming of ways to make them less and less dependable.

Jenn-Air self cleaning oven problem

Started by ralphthedog

Replies: 6
Views: 8680
Last post December 13, 2007, 08:15:34 PM
by ralphthedog
Kitchenaid Oven not Heating after Self Cleaning

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2929