Author Topic: whirlpool washer wont spin or agitate already replaced coupling what else??  (Read 5393 times)

Offline crazy7605150

• VIP Member
well i noticed my washer wouldnt spin or agitate  but still drained so i took it apart and i noticed that the coupling was broken so i replaced it... now it still wont spin or agitate.

when i spin the clutch by hand the basket spins so i know the clutch works...
now i notice that it wont drain now... i took off the water pump i noticed that the motor dont spin anymore but still makes a noise...  but if i give the motor a little kickstart then it starts up and spin the basket and agitates and everything.. (water pump is still off so it wont drain)..

i have only 2 ideas...

1. the coupling is not flush causing binding (will check after work tomorrow)
2. the motor is bad ( not enough power) while coupling was broke it only had to spin the water pump. now that coupling is fixed it has to spin the tranny and the pump so it cant....

plz help me soon i need clean cloths... lol and no laundry mat near me for miles.... plz

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
Hi crazy7605150,

Could you post the model number for us? The model number can be found on the model/serial number tag that is located on the washer.

Check picture below for possible model number tag locations.

Thanks for posting your questions.
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
First make sure that you remembered to reattach the 2 red wires that hook up to the start capacitor. Then I would double check your coupling installation. The parts that are on the shafts should be flush with the shaft ends, if not they will bind and the motor will not be able to start. If both these things are OK then you either have a bad capacitor or motor. Replace the capacitor first it's the cheaper part.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Maybe you for got to reconnect that lid switch?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline crazy7605150

• VIP Member
first off thnx for a response ...

well everything was connected right... the capacitor, motor, and the lid switch where connected correctly... i pulled off the motor and checked the couplings... the one on the motor was a little past flush so i pulled it off and made it flush... connected everything up right and it still does the same thing.. makes a little noise a little like the timer but louder and if i leave it on for to long it starts to smell bad.. but still no spinning or agitating and no draining...

still i can take off the water pump and jump start the motor... would that be something that would happen with a bad capacitor or bad motor

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
The capacitor NEVER goes bad, so the motor is the problem. It is easy to replace.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Never say never, I have seen bad caps. I don't know about anyone else.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Never say never, I have seen bad caps. I don't know about anyone else.

I have seen a few bad capacitors (very few) in the past 20 years, but I have seen them go bad.
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
I have seen 2 bad caps in the past year. One was cracked.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
It would not be a bad idea to check the cap before buying a new motor, besides you would want a new cap with the new motor anyway.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

whirlpool washer will agitate wont spin

Started by whit

Replies: 1
Views: 2749
Last post November 15, 2008, 03:07:35 PM
by JWWebster
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 29585
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM