Author Topic: Frigidaire chest freezer  (Read 8113 times)

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Frigidaire chest freezer
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »
Still cost $500+ to replace this freezer .I would NOT call it a dime a dozen...How do we know he has a leak? without adding gas we just know there is no heat exchange. He can have a restriction.  He can replace a dryer or even fix a leak in the Condenser for very little money...As for equipment he can use soap to find the leak and a sweep charge to evacuate . I have used many different leak meters.   But I still use soap most of the time to find leaks... I would first find the problem before dropping $500 on a new one...REPAIR-MAN first post was to tell him to go shopping. So how EASY was that. You may have to go shopping for a new one.. But I first would spend a little to find out what is wrong.
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 03:03:37 PM »
Ok, JW...whatever you say...
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
How does one fix a leak in the condenser of a freezer easily when the condenser is buried in the cabinet . Cut the cabinet ? I supposed you could find a condenser on an old fridge and screw it to the back but too costly and I wouldn't chance it .

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »
You could add a condenser to the backside of the freezer just like the old refrigerators have and bypass that crapola in the innards. Seen it. Done it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »
MFC13M4FW3 Has a condenser on the outside of cabinet..hard to find the leaks but once you find it not a problem to fix..And JW is right .. you can bypass a cabinet condenser for a outside condenser...even a new condenser you can get for $50 and just make sure you charge to pressure. the size of the condenser will be different then the old one...

Offline shieldcracker

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »

Makes a gooey whitish restriction in the cap tube and pretty much the whole sealed system. Since the tubing in most chest freezers is basically hidden within the cabinet, any leak that also draws in air is mostly impossible to repair.  Maytag for instance recommends replacing the evaporator, compressor and condenser in the case of a low-side leak due to this phenomena.

That substance build up is basically wax and the best way to treat this problem is pressure backflushing with a product called internal coil cleaner. Once the system is clean use an oversized filter dryer with an activated charcoal core such as a C-032 or C-052-HH.  In any case it can be a difficult repair and time consuming repair, assuming the leak is found!), definitely not a job for the average joe.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
I agree with you shieldcracker and JW...I think you really have to get in to the system to have a fair diagnosis of the system..without heat exchange there could be many causes...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
If it was me I would shoot a little gas in it and hope for the best.It might work a day or it could go another 5 years. Seen it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline iceman

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
I'm with you JW... shoot some gas in it. Heck, if it doesn't work he's going to get another freezer anyway. If it were me, I would spend a few bucks to find out before shelling big bucks on a new freezer. Ditto again on the 50/50 chance it will work and If it has any gas in it at all it shouldn't need to be evacuated... just shoot some refrigerant in it.

Frigidaire Chest Freezer

Started by weeblewobble

Replies: 3
Views: 1430
Last post February 17, 2009, 10:35:05 PM
by JWWebster
kenmore/frigidaire chest freezer set point

Started by jason1979g

Replies: 6
Views: 505
Last post July 30, 2013, 08:28:55 PM
by tgoods