Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer Leaking Oil  (Read 13405 times)

Offline jr_ece

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Washer Leaking Oil
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »
Wow. Great photos and video clip.

Thanks

Offline jr_ece

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »
Alright. We are not quite there, but close. I replaced all of the seals in the gearcase. I wasn't sure if I got the spin gear back in the right position if that's possible. I had to spin it around a little before it "fell into place", but it was rotated differently that when I took it out. The gearcase appeared to spin ok after assembly.

I replaced the oil seals in the top of the drive tube in addition to the gearcase seals.

I also got the agitator dogs replaced. It turns out the plastic white fingers that stick up and protrude through the agitator "clutch?" (the part where the dogs attach) were smashed down for some reason. The washer has never been apart since I bought it new. A good tap with a screw driver to clean them up allowed the agitator to pop apart.

The washer is reassembled and not leaking at the moment, but it is making a clicking sound during agitation. I'm not sure if this due to a possible mis-alignment in the gearcase as mentioned above, or if this is due to a mis-alignment between the drive tube and clutch. We are filling, draining, spinning, and agitating with a loud click. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for all of the help!

Offline jr_ece

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
I should clarify two points I have might have confused in my previous post.

1) The clicking is only occuring during agitation

2) By drive tube to clutch alignment I mean this:

I'm thinking the white plastic piece may not be straddling the clutch pad bracket as shown in the photo.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »
Well as long as you ain't binding into that spring with the brake cam lever it will be ok. You can assemble it anywhere other than hitting the spring and the next time it spins it will jump into place.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jr_ece

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:36 PM »
Hmmm.. So does it sound like the issue is inside of the gearcase? The gearcase did not make any clicking noises before disassembly so I'm certain it should not be left that way now.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
Something must be wank. Take it out the washer and run it. See if you can isolate the noise
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jr_ece

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
I did several searches for this type of problem, but didn't find anything similar although there are some other types of clicking issues.

I haven't pulled the gearcase again, but I did rotate the agitator by hand and could hear the clicking sound. It occurs at 8 o'clock and again at 2 o'clock (180 degrees apart) when rotating the agitator clockwise. There is also a very very light sound (almost a feel) in the agitator near the same spots when spinning it counter clockwise. It sounds like a little metal piece being pulled back and then "clicking" past whatever is pulling on it when turning the agitator slowly.

Anyone have additional thoughts on this? One would think others would have ran into this issue with re-assembling a gearcase and washer.

Offline jr_ece

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
I pulled the gearcase last night and found two things.

1) I popped the gearcase apart and found the spring of the trip lever in front of the tab. I re-assembled using Neutral Drain Kit Assembly instructions found online. This got rid of the "clicking" noise.

2) The white plastic piece clipped to the bottom of the drive tube has quite a bit of travel (maybe 90 degrees?) before it hits a stop. This is causing a clanking noise during agitation that I assume is okay. How much travel should there be?

Thanks again for those who helped steer me in the right direction. We've put about 7 loads through the washer since replacing the seals with no leaks. The agitator dogs are fixed too.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 11:32:04 PM »
Cool, let er do a few loads to settle down. LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Washer Leaking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 3
Views: 4300
Last post March 22, 2008, 01:52:43 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Washer Leaking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1385
Last post June 04, 2008, 07:19:16 AM