Author Topic: Spin cycle noisy and some water left in drum  (Read 3365 times)

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
Spin cycle noisy and some water left in drum
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »
Hello, I'm a first time poster.

Ran a small load in my Maytag washer Monday night.  It chattered, there was a slight burning smell, and the water was not completely drained out of the bottom of the drum.  I purchased the washer new 10 years ago.  I've never had a problem with it previously, and its never been apart.

I removed the front panel tonight and removed the belt to the pump, hoping that perhaps a sock or something got jammed in it.  However, there was nothing in the hose and the pump turned fine in either direction.  

Not sure where to go next.  Should I run it with the front cover off and see what's making noise?  Is it safe to do so?  If so, do I have to hook the hoses back up, or can I run it dry?  How easy should the pulley that's hooked up to the drum turn?  Will it be easier in one direction rather than another?  Will it be affected by being jacked up in the front so as I can take a look at it and access it?

Thanks!

Rob

Model LAT9356AAE

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Spin cycle noisy and some water left in drum
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:08:43 PM »
After 10 years you might have a worn belt.
Here is both belts for $27
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:10:23 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
Thanks!  I would hope that it would be that easy, but, the belts did not look glazed, frayed, or cracked.  How much tension should be on them?

Rob

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »
Re-set the washer for spin and turn it on. Yes, you can leave the front panel off. No you can not jack the machine up.
See if it spins and pumps out the remaining water and let us know what you hear and what you see.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:48:04 AM »
Thanks for the help so far.  I'll try it out tonight minus the front cover.

I did notice that I had a dark spray pattern of apparent lubricant inside the machine.  It's on the inside of the panels, about one foot from the bottom.  Does that mean that I have a bad bearing/seal, or is it somewhat normal?  It's not super heavy but it's clearly there.

I noticed also that the arms that support the drum (there are three of them) have some corrosion on them.  It's not a huge amount, but its obvious. 

Rob

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:04:06 AM »
You are describing a failure of the boot seal on this Dependable Care washer. Once water gets past the tub seal, it enters the brass bearing directly underneath, causing permanent damage. The best way to see the damamge is to remove the tub and the boot stem and inspect the bearing area visually. Naturally, you would want a spanner wrench made for Maytag washers to be able to remove both the tub nut and the boot stem, as they are designed for a specific tool. (shown below)
Your tub bearing is now likely frozen, accounting for the burning smell and lack of spin.
The boot seal is part number 6-2095720 and the bearing is 6-2040130 . You can download the older Maytag washer manual to see how these are arranged and how to replace them.

16010373 Maytag Dependable Care Washer Service Manual

MAYTAG 6-2040130 Tub Bearing Kit, AP4372971

MAYTAG 6-2095720 Mounting Stem Repair Kit, AP4390013

MAYTAG 22038313 Spanner Wrench, AP3856712

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:08:20 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
That's not the news that I was hoping for, but it seems likely based on what I observed.  Looks like the parts are about $150 total in my area. 

Is this a difficult repair?  I've done a lot of auto repairs in the past including engine and tranny rebuilds, but have no washer experience.

Thanks!

Rob

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »
By the way, I did  not find a washer manual for the LAT9356AAE.  Is there another one that I can use?

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 03:25:44 AM »
Al Capone,

Thanks for the link to the manual!

Rob

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:11:33 PM »
Okay.  I unplugged the unit, drained the water & etc.  Then I removed the front panel and top cover.  Then I removed the tub cover, agitator, top clamping nut, clamping nut washer, and inner tub. I removed the set screw from the mounting stem, and used the spanner wrench to remove the mounting stem. 

At this point the manual (linked to above) tells me that I have access to the "O" ring and boot seal.  I don't see an "O" ring, but was able to remove a rubber "bellows looking thing" that I'm thinking is the boot seal, by turning it clockwise.  I'm not sure why I don't see an "O" ring.  Secondly, what kind of grease can I use on the stem threads?  Will lithium grease be okay? 

Where is the bearing located?  Do I have to pull the outer tub to get at it?

Thanks!

Rob

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »
No grease is used. Those threads stay dry under normal conditions. Yes, the tub (outer) has to be removed after taking off the large springs and the 3 bolts. I find it so much easier to remove the tub hose and the airline tube so the tub will rotate around for you to get the bolts off on the sides. Once the tub is out, set it on the floor and step on the bearing from the inside to pop it off. Then turn the tub upside down and push the new bearing into place until it bottoms out against the tub. The thin sleeve goes over the threads of the transmission shaft before you slide the tub back into place. When the new bellow  (boot seal) is placed  over the lip, soft side down, and pressed into place, use a few drops of oil inside the boot seal to lubricate the brass bearing and sleeve taking care not to get any on the black seal at all. This will ruin the seal and it will not mate properly with the mounting stem when you screw it back down. In fact this seal must be completely clean except for the factory installed grease which is placed in the center of it where the coil spring is.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 07:29:24 AM »
Once you remove the seal from the tub,examine the tub seal opening for corrosion. I have seen many tubs that were corroded too bad for a new seal to be effective.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 10:23:42 AM »
I'm wondering if my machine is slightly different as I did not find it necessary to remove the springs.  I got the outer tub out and placed in on 2 X 4's to clear the drain outlet and then stepped on the bearing to remove it.  It came out pretty easily.  I flipped the tub upside down and pressed the new bearing into position.  My tub looks to be pretty much corrosion free. 

Looks like the hairiest part of the job is done.  Now I just have to finish reassembling it.  I'll report back once the job is complete. 

Rob

Spin Cycle shakes the Drum too much

Started by Lina

Replies: 2
Views: 1599
Last post August 15, 2008, 06:36:02 AM
by JWWebster
GE Front Load Washer Noisy During Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4972
Last post August 25, 2008, 07:01:33 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Amana Washer very noisy during spin cycle

Started by DIY Dori

Replies: 6
Views: 6306
Last post February 20, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
by MDScott714
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 3019
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone
Kenmore 70 Series Washer - no cold water, weak spin cycle?

Started by Q451990

Replies: 10
Views: 4013
Last post January 28, 2010, 08:31:18 PM
by viking351
MAH4000AWW Water inlet valve is pulsing in final spin cycle

Started by wtfisthisjamf

Replies: 9
Views: 2423
Last post October 25, 2010, 09:09:38 PM
by niobrara